[WyrmSpace] Welcome to a universe in ruin

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

[WyrmSpace] Welcome to a universe in ruin

Post by BPIJonathan »

The time came when the old Dragon Emperor to relive his throne, that time passed and a new emperor wasn't placed on the throne. This outraged the citizens of the galaxy, but when they spoke out against the Black Emperor they were slaughtered by Imperial Troops. Members of the senate felt that this insult could not go on, so they raised an army against the Black Emperor and went to war. The rebel troops have been fighting a loosing battle for years, the Imperial Senate on the verge of collapse and an evil vizier is now whispering in the ear of the Emperor. It is now illegal to be a wizard, and the use of arcane magic is an offense punishable by death.

This work will be completely compatible with all Crystal Spheres products.
Last edited by BPIJonathan on Sun May 10, 2009 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

dulsi
Storm Giant

Re: [WyrmSpace] Welcome to a universe in ruin

Post by dulsi »

I just joined the Dragonstar yahoo group and saw you post recently. I think I have a idea of what you are going for. Obviously it will be different. You didn't mention what rule set this would be using.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

"Welcome to an universe in ruin" :? Is the "an" a typo, or is that one of those subtle things that is deliberately disjointing?
BPIJonathan wrote:The time came when the old Dragon Emperor to relive his throne, that time passed and a new emperor wasn't placed on the throne. This outraged the citizens of the galaxy, but when they spoke out against the Black Emperor they were slaughtered by Imperial Troops. Members of the senate felt that this insult could not go on, so they raised an army against the Black Emperor and went to war. The rebel troops have been fighting a loosing battle for years, the Imperial Senate on the verge of collapse and an evil vizier is now whispering in the ear of the Emperor. It is now illegal to be a wizard, and the use of arcane magic is an offense punishable by death.
Interesting setup. I'd be willing to bet that the Empire itself, is immune to the ban on wizards and that they use the sort of arcane magic they don't want anyone else to have.
BPIJonathan wrote:This work will be completely compatible with all Crystal Spheres products.
Yay!
dulsi wrote:I just joined the Dragonstar yahoo group and saw you post recently. I think I have a idea of what you are going for. Obviously it will be different. You didn't mention what rule set this would be using.
He mentioned Crystal Spheres and IIRC, that is going to be systemless.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun May 10, 2009 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan »

dulsi wrote:I just joined the Dragonstar yahoo group and saw you post recently. I think I have a idea of what you are going for. Obviously it will be different. You didn't mention what rule set this would be using.
I didnt mention it deliberately. It will have a system, but that is being kept under wraps until we decide on some other matters.
Jonathan M. Thompson
Battlefield Press International | thompsonjm (at) gmail (dot) com |"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan »

Big Mac wrote:"Welcome to an universe in ruin" :? Is the "an" a typo, or is that one of those subtle things that is deliberately disjointing?
My grammar checker changed it. I should have double checked it. We need to edit the thread title. Maybe a moderator could do that for me? Do you know one? :-)
Big Mac wrote:
BPIJonathan wrote:The time came when the old Dragon Emperor to relive his throne, that time passed and a new emperor wasn't placed on the throne. This outraged the citizens of the galaxy, but when they spoke out against the Black Emperor they were slaughtered by Imperial Troops. Members of the senate felt that this insult could not go on, so they raised an army against the Black Emperor and went to war. The rebel troops have been fighting a loosing battle for years, the Imperial Senate on the verge of collapse and an evil vizier is now whispering in the ear of the Emperor. It is now illegal to be a wizard, and the use of arcane magic is an offense punishable by death.
Interesting setup. I'd be willing to bet that the Empire itself, is immune to the ban on wizards and that they use the sort of arcane magic they don't want anyone else to have.
This is true, the vizier is a wizard himself and leads the charge in hunting down all other wizards. Most wizards quit practicing magic and burned or buried their spellbooks, staves, scrolls, etc. So PC wizards will be on the run from the empire.
Jonathan M. Thompson

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

BPIJonathan wrote:
Big Mac wrote:"Welcome to an universe in ruin" :? Is the "an" a typo, or is that one of those subtle things that is deliberately disjointing?
My grammar checker changed it. I should have double checked it. We need to edit the thread title. Maybe a moderator could do that for me? Do you know one? :-)
I could do it if this was a Spelljammer thread, but only Ashtagon has mod access here.

Try editing your original post. If you change the Subject title there, it might also change it from the Other Worlds forum. (If that does not work, you can try using the Report Post button to summon a moderator, but please try a DIY fix first.)

EDIT: This is now fixed. (Although, everyone else will need to edit the replies they made before your fix.)
BPIJonathan wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
This is true, the vizier is a wizard himself and leads the charge in hunting down all other wizards. Most wizards quit practicing magic and burned or buried their spellbooks, staves, scrolls, etc. So PC wizards will be on the run from the empire.
I can imagine that it would be fairly hard to organise a mass illimination of wizards without the assistance of another type of spellcaster (cleric, sorcerer, druid or whatever). Mind you, having said that, I believe that is the very premise of Jeff Grubb's Jakandor Campaign Setting. Either way, I would say the Empire's wizard hunters would need to be very very careful.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan »

Big Mac wrote:Try editing your original post.
That appears to have fixed it.
BPIJonathan wrote:I can imagine that it would be fairly hard to organize a mass elimination of wizards without the assistance of another type of spellcaster (cleric, sorcerer, druid or whatever).
I guess people will see when the setting is finally released :-)

BPIJonathan wrote:Mind you, having said that, I believe that is the very premise of Jeff Grubb's Jakandor Campaign Setting. Either way, I would say the Empire's wizard hunters would need to be very very careful.
Interestingly enough, Im not familiar with that campaign setting. Might need to hunt it down.
Jonathan M. Thompson

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

BPIJonathan wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Mind you, having said that, I believe that is the very premise of Jeff Grubb's Jakandor Campaign Setting. Either way, I would say the Empire's wizard hunters would need to be very very careful.
Interestingly enough, Im not familiar with that campaign setting. Might need to hunt it down.
I can't currently find much about Jakandor online. There is a Jakandor article at the DnD Wiki, but it is a stub (i.e. an unfinished article that they are inviting people to expand).

We also have a couple of Jakandor related threads in this forum: You can talk about Jakandor in one of those threads without derailing the news about your own product. ;)

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan »

Just an FYI, the name of this product has been changed to The Wyrm's Spiral
Last edited by BPIJonathan on Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan M. Thompson

BotWizo
Wizard

Post by BotWizo »

When you say release are you releasing this as a product for sale?
by game shops etc.?

If it is for sale will you have to worry about infringement on star wars Intellectual property?
Just curious, and if you don't how did you check to make sure you are free of all infringements?

I just would like to know the process, not trying to be a spoilsport.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan »

BotWizo wrote:When you say release are you releasing this as a product for sale?
by game shops etc.?
Target date is Summer 2011, we will see how close we can get to that.
BotWizo wrote:If it is for sale will you have to worry about infringement on star wars Intellectual property?
No, because there is nothing actually from Star Wars (tm) in the book, its just designed to have a similar feel. Its a dark pulp fantasy space opera.
Last edited by BPIJonathan on Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan M. Thompson

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal »

Sounds awesome, can't wait for the final product.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan »

Azaghal wrote:Sounds awesome, can't wait for the final product.

I have some plans to post some previews here at some point, but cant say when exactly.
Jonathan M. Thompson

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII »

Aww man... Y'all went like 12 posts without actually explicitly saying the inspirational source (regardless of how obvious it was)... I was gonna post a link to the imperial march on youtube... thanks BotWizo for stealing my thunder, lol!

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

Giant Space Hamster
Initiate

Post by Giant Space Hamster »

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): This is industry news, so I'm moving it to The Wishing Well.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Administrator at The Piazza. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

I don't suppose this is the same thing as Double Spiral War.

BPIJonathan
Dinosaur King

Post by BPIJonathan »

Big Mac wrote:I don't suppose this is the same thing as Double Spiral War.
Double Spiral War is based on the novel trilogy by Warren C Norwood
Jonathan M. Thompson

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

BPIJonathan wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I don't suppose this is the same thing as Double Spiral War.
Double Spiral War is based on the novel trilogy by Warren C Norwood
I that case I look forward to your next update on The Wyrm's Spiral.

Return to “The Wishing Well”