Pillars of Eternity Tabletop RGP

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Pillars of Eternity Tabletop RGP

Post by agathokles » Thu May 09, 2019 1:58 pm

Obsidian, the company that developed the Pillars of Eternity computer games, has released (as a free download, in alpha testing) a tabletop version of them:
https://eternity.obsidian.net/

It is looks like a pretty crunchy, classless game using points for character building and a unified skill mechanic not unlike D20, but using 2d10 instead of a d20 (i.e., using a bell curve rather than a flat distribution).
While the game does not have classes, all special abilities are connected to power sources (arcana, discipline, etc., basically one per class as in the CRPG), and each starting character can have one or two power sources (which is equivalent to being a single classed or multi classed character in the CRPG).

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Pillars of Eternity Tabletop RGP

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 10, 2019 7:27 am

Wow! 126 pages! That's a lot.

I saw some pages, do you think they are intending to eventually add art and release this commercially?

I didn't get much time to look for the non-crunchy stuff (and I don't know the Pillars of Eternity universe. Do you think that the RPG book covers everything in the computer game? Does it add any new details?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

sycarion
Goblin

Post by sycarion » Fri May 10, 2019 6:21 pm

This looks really crunchy, but once characters are generated, it seems like it could go fairly quickly.

Let me see if I can test this out over the weekend.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri May 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:27 am
Wow! 126 pages! That's a lot.

I saw some pages, do you think they are intending to eventually add art and release this commercially?

I didn't get much time to look for the non-crunchy stuff (and I don't know the Pillars of Eternity universe. Do you think that the RPG book covers everything in the computer game? Does it add any new details?
Not at all -- the book is almost pure crunch. I don't know what the plans are, although a tabletop version has been mentioned several times, even before PoE II. Of course this is just an alpha, which means they plan to do playtesting and move to a beta, etc.

GP

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri May 10, 2019 8:19 pm

sycarion wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:21 pm
This looks really crunchy, but once characters are generated, it seems like it could go fairly quickly.

Let me see if I can test this out over the weekend.
Cool. Let us know how it plays out! I'm actually pretty curious.

GP

Return to “The Wishing Well”