DMs Guild looking for projects good enough for PoD launches

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

DMs Guild looking for projects good enough for PoD launches

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 12, 2019 11:15 am

I saw this tweet by DMs Guild!:
DMs Guild on Twitter wrote:Hi #DMGuild creators! Here is an update for those of you interested in offering your titles in print. We're interested in working with a super select group of projects that meet these requirements. #DnD #dungeonsanddragons
Lysa Chen in a secret Facebook group wrote:Hi Creators! As we continue to experiment with print-on-demand for DMs Guild, I'm interested in working with select titles to LAUNCH with print as an option.

Requirements:
  • Experience doing layout for POD
  • Expected page count over 40
  • Track record of best-selling content
  • Marketing plan (This does not have to be an extensive presentation, but I would like an idea of your launch plans.)
  • Understanding that POD can add ~month to the launch process dependent on several factors.
Beyond those requirements, projects that will be accepted by and large fall into the "we'll know it when we see it" category, but these factors likely will come into play:
  • Unique, intriging concepts/themes
  • Collaborative community projects
  • Quality of art
If you have a project in the works that you'd like us to consider, please e-mail me at <email removed to avoid spambot harvesting - please see the Twitter post> with details and timeline!
I know that at least two or three Piazza members have done DMs Guild stuff.

Is anyone interested in uping their game and doing products that launch as Print on Demand?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Seethyr
Couatl

Re: DMs Guild looking for projects good enough for PoD launches

Post by Seethyr » Sun May 12, 2019 4:11 pm

I’ve never dabbled in POD. What changes do you really have to make to a PDF in order to make it possible? Is it terribly complicated?
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sun May 12, 2019 4:11 pm

I’ve never dabbled in POD. What changes do you really have to make to a PDF in order to make it possible? Is it terribly complicated?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon May 20, 2019 7:40 am

Seethyr wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 4:11 pm
I'm not sure myself, but it is probably going to involve making a printable file for the machines that print the books.

If the cover is bound on separately, then maybe the cover pages need to be done as a single spread. (And if you don't usually bother with a back cover, that would need to change, as all printed books have a cover that wraps around...and sometimes also has writing on the spine.)

If they are making books with pages that are stapled in, you would possibly need to provide them with a file with an even number of pages. (TSR used to use a unit called a "Module Unit" which was 32 pages. That's actually 2x2x2x2x2 pages.) Some of the old printing techniques involved printing big sheets and folding and cutting them.

I think that different publishers might need different things depending on the actual PoD machine. If they are gluing individual sheets into a book, they might be able to cope with numbers that are not powers of 2. (The fact that Lysa Chen asked for more than 40 pages, means that they are not tied to the idea of the "Module Unit".)

You might want to reach out to DMs Guild and ask them what is involved.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Mon May 20, 2019 10:38 am

I’ve got material on the DM’s Guild but it has only ever cost me money. Maybe if I spent more money on art, professional layout etc. I’d sell more, or maybe I wouldn’t and would lose $1000s of dollars. Frankly, looking at the criteria they already know of the minority of very professional cashed up producers able to meet the criteria. THis is probably little more than an advertising ploy. It mirrors other changes to the DM’s Guild moving it away from ‘community’ and towards ‘elitist’ game production much more like traditional freelancing.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon May 20, 2019 1:25 pm

Coronoides wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:38 am
I’ve got material on the DM’s Guild but it has only ever cost me money. Maybe if I spent more money on art, professional layout etc. I’d sell more, or maybe I wouldn’t and would lose $1000s of dollars. Frankly, looking at the criteria they already know of the minority of very professional cashed up producers able to meet the criteria. THis is probably little more than an advertising ploy. It mirrors other changes to the DM’s Guild moving it away from ‘community’ and towards ‘elitist’ game production much more like traditional freelancing.
I’d be more than willing to help you with the layout and relatively inexpensive ways to acquire good art (though it is a challenge to do so). PM me if you’d like help on either.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Mon May 20, 2019 3:07 pm

Seethyr wrote:
I've never used POD at drivethrurpg. I have heard that color is something you sometimes need to work on. Color might look good on the screen but not in print. When the new Cartoon Action Hour went to print the creator had to tweak the colors to be a certain palette to print well. (The palette has a name I believe but didn't find it on quick search.)
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Mon May 20, 2019 4:49 pm

dulsi wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 3:07 pm
Seethyr wrote:
I've never used POD at drivethrurpg. I have heard that color is something you sometimes need to work on. Color might look good on the screen but not in print. When the new Cartoon Action Hour went to print the creator had to tweak the colors to be a certain palette to print well. (The palette has a name I believe but didn't find it on quick search.)
Interesting. I am in contact with Lysa Chen (who is away at the moment). I'll post what her response is as well. I asked her to clarify on this a bit.

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue May 21, 2019 1:37 am

In my research, I came across this pdf from Barnes & Noble. I am hoping to read through this in the next few days and give it a go. Maybe just make a copy for myself to see how it turns out.

http://img1.imagesbn.com/pImages/bn-pri ... _ready.pdf

Return to “The Wishing Well”