[Kickstarter] Odyssey of the Dragonlords: 5th Edition Adventure Book

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Kickstarter] Odyssey of the Dragonlords: 5th Edition Adventure Book

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 12, 2019 3:01 pm

I just noticed that Arcanum Worlds have a Kickstarter up, that ends in four days.

It's called Odyssey of the Dragonlords: 5th Edition Adventure Book and it's by the same ex-Baldur's Gate computer game designer who wrote Heroes of Baldur's Gate for DMs Guild...and then got hired by Wizards of the Coast to run their new Texas lab - one - day - later!

Anyhoo, here is the blurb from Kickstarter:
Arcanum Worlds on Kickstarter wrote:Odyssey of the Dragonlords: 5th Edition Adventure Book
An epic adventure book for 5E. Blends classic fantasy with Greek mythology. From the lead designer of Baldur's Gate I & II and KOTOR.

About

Odyssey of the Dragonlords is an epic adventure book for the 5th Edition of the world's greatest roleplaying game.

In a land where even the gods are bound by oaths and prophecies...

At the dawn of time, a war between the gods and Titans left the world of Thylea forever changed. Thousands of years later, the first mortals arrived, carried by ship and dragon.

The Dragonlords were the champions who overthrew the Titans 500 years ago and forged the Oath of Peace. But the power of the Oath has waned, and now the Titans seek vengeance.

You are one of the heroes called by prophecy to end the conflict once and for all. Poets will sing of your deeds for centuries to come... if you survive.

Features

From the lead designer of Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age: Origins, and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic...

Odyssey of the Dragonlords is a ~280-page adventure book, packed with full-color maps and illustrations. Our goal is to create a hardcover book that you can be proud to place alongside the official 5th Edition adventure books on your bookshelf.

An Epic Campaign. Join with other prophesied heroes to under take an epic quest to save the world of Thylea, sail the islands of the Forgotten Sea, and battle the Titans! The adventure will take a party of heroes from 1st to 10th level.

Choose your Epic Path. Includes six epic paths for players to choose from. Epic paths provide powerful motivations for your hero, making you a central part of the story. Change Thylea’s history forever, and go down in history as one of the new Dragonlords!
There is a lot more there. It looks like Arcanum Worlds have already put a ton of work into this (and the Forgotten Realms DMs Guild project) ahead of James Ohlen agreeing to run the Texas branch for WotC. They are still adding on stretch goals, as they are on $319,969 USD which is well beyond the original $50,000 target.

I'm wondering if James Ohlen is still allowed to work on this, if he is also taking a job to work for WotC. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [Kickstarter] Odyssey of the Dragonlords: 5th Edition Adventure Book

Post by Havard » Sun May 12, 2019 8:50 pm

Looks great! I like that the visual style evokes a mix of Greek Myths and Dragonlance, just like the title does.

The Epic Paths sound interesting too. Inspired by 4E perhaps, or even BECMI's paths to Immortality?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dartamian
Troll

Post by Dartamian » Mon May 13, 2019 12:49 am

Dang it. Going to have to back this one and enter the world of 5e.
Dartamian
I'm a Troll!

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Mon May 13, 2019 2:37 pm

Dael Kingsmill has posted her interview with one of the creators to her YouTube channel here. The sound quality is far from ideal, but otherwise it's a nice discussion of the book's ideas. It's very much Greek myth-style adventure (particularly the Argonautica) fused with fantasy/D&D tropes, so which hits my interests a bit too squarely to NOT back it.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Return to “The Wishing Well”