25% tariff on miniatures and games produced in China

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

25% tariff on miniatures and games produced in China

Post by shesheyan » Tue May 14, 2019 10:29 pm

«Toys, board games and dice are on the list of Chinese imports that President Trump has proposed for additional tariffs of up to 25%.»

This will hurt Kickstarter campaigns and game manufacturers. If you live in the US contact your local representative(s).

http://www.tabletopwire.com/toys-board- ... ewdOSHyG5Y

Kythkyn
Resident Catgirl

Re: 25% tariff on miniatures and games produced in China

Post by Kythkyn » Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 pm

Yeah, I read about this earlier :(
Gaming Blog | Twitter | Discord
MAYBE YOU RUIN CHOCOLATE!

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Wed May 15, 2019 7:23 am

What do RPG's fall under for tariffs? Books or Games?

EDIT: Nevermind.. printed books are also on the list..

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 17, 2019 10:13 am

shesheyan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:29 pm
This will hurt Kickstarter campaigns and game manufacturers.
Some Kickstarter campaigns seem to be operating on a "shipping to be charged separately" model and I've seen others that say they have "fulfilment centres around the world". So I guess that some of the Kickstarter designers have already mitigated some of the risk of getting books printed in China.

But if an end user has backed and gets charged a lot more than they expected to buy the book...or if the Kickstarter designer has not set aside a contingency fund large enough to cover a 25 percent hike on the import costs, there could be some unhappy gamers out there.

Some other Kickstarters seem to be using a straight-to-DriveThru RPG model and DriveThru RPG use Lightning Source to print in various countries. So I doubt those Kickstarters would be affected at all.

I guess there will be a flood of enquiries to various live and unfulfilled Kickstarter campaigns.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Fri May 17, 2019 12:43 pm

shesheyan wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:29 pm
«Toys, board games and dice are on the list of Chinese imports that President Trump has proposed for additional tariffs of up to 25%.»

This will hurt Kickstarter campaigns and game manufacturers. If you live in the US contact your local representative(s).

http://www.tabletopwire.com/toys-board- ... ewdOSHyG5Y
It's not great for Chinese workers trying to catch-up with the lifestyle long enjoyed by many in developed nations either.
Maybe some kickstarters will start offering to ship direct from China to Australia*, rather than print in China shipping to a warehouse in the USA and then shipping back across the world to Australia. Now that's expensive! It's so bad that I've stopped backing kickstarters all together and try to buy any RPG books when i'm in the USA or Europe where they are typically half price compared to Australia**

*Nah, I don't believe this will happen.
** weirdly except D&D 5e. Also I only fly overseas when work pays.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 19, 2019 1:11 am

Coronoides wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:43 pm
Maybe some kickstarters will start offering to ship direct from China to Australia*, rather than print in China shipping to a warehouse in the USA and then shipping back across the world to Australia. Now that's expensive! It's so bad that I've stopped backing kickstarters all together and try to buy any RPG books when i'm in the USA or Europe where they are typically half price compared to Australia**
I've noticed that too.

It's one of the reasons why I like the companies that do Print on Demand fulfilment, via DriveThru RPG and Lightning Source (as the stuff uses local shipping from my own country...rather than being shipped twice).

But DriveThru RPG compete with local gaming stores...rather than acting as a warehouse towards them, so that might work for me, but it's still bad for that part of the industry.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Fri May 24, 2019 2:48 pm

Another article by D100news:

I spoke to a few of the people behind some of our favourite games to get their views on what impact the tariff increase might have on the RPG industry. What I got was a glimpse at the economics behind the games we play, and why the price of roleplaying games may be rising — for more complicated reasons.

Article:
https://d100news.com/2019/05/23/the-us- ... fqyMmXb9JI

Return to “The Wishing Well”