Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 18, 2019 3:57 pm

The new D&D book, currently called "Dungeons & Dragons 2019 Annual Storyline (D&D HC Adventure Book / To be announced at D&D Live on May 17-19)" on Amazon, has been revealed to be a Forgotten Realms/Planescape crossover adventure, called Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus.

D&D Beyond have put up a Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus page on their marketplace website (that has the new cover).
D&D Beyond wrote:Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus
$29.99

Adventure for Levels 1-13

Diabolical dangers await in this adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game

Welcome to Baldur’s Gate, a city of ambition and corruption situated at the crossroads of the Sword Coast. You’ve just started your adventuring career, but already find yourself embroiled in a plot that sprawls from the shadows of Baldur’s Gate to the front lines of the planes-spanning Blood War! Do you have what it takes to turn infernal war machines and nefarious contracts against the archdevil Zariel and her diabolical hordes? And can you ever hope to find your way home safely when pitted against the infinite evils of the Nine Hells?

This purchase unlocks the entire contents of the book version for use with D&D Beyond, including the adventure in digital format and access to all the adventure's options in the searchable listings, character builder, and digital sheet.

Pre-ordering this content on D&D Beyond will unlock special character frames, character backdrops, and theme colors for the digital character sheet.

Digital items are not returnable or refundable. By placing your order, you agree to our Terms of Sale.
'Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus' Chris Perkins and Adam Lee Interview
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu May 23, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

apotheot
Ogre

Re: Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus

Post by apotheot » Sat May 18, 2019 4:26 pm

amazon link doesn't work, and am pretty sure that was just for the dice set anyway...which by themselves look awesome.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Post by Dread Delgath » Sat May 18, 2019 8:32 pm

:( I'm really disappointed that they tied "Descent" to Baldur's Gate. Nothing against Baldur's Gate really, its just that now its yet another Forgotten Realms/Baldur's Gate game. At least I should be thankful that it wasn't set in Waterdeep, I guess, but why don't they highlight a city (even in the FR) that they've never highlighted before? :?

Can anyone tell me if this adventure can be easily set anywhere else besides Baldur's Gate? Are events so strongly tied via the "Dead Gods" FR plot that it would be very difficult to sub specific things for our own preferences?
A big THANKS! to Giant Space Hamster & Chimpman for the cookies! (Dark Side be damned!) :D

My D&D 5th edition Dakan Mar Campaign setting Conspectus and Campaign Rules here at The Piazza Forums, a Fool's Errand WIP.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Sun May 19, 2019 4:32 am

Dread Delgath wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:32 pm
Can anyone tell me if this adventure can be easily set anywhere else besides Baldur's Gate? Are events so strongly tied via the "Dead Gods" FR plot that it would be very difficult to sub specific things for our own preferences?
I don't think there's enough information available yet to answer your questions definitively. Based on the limited information that dropped during this weekend's D&D Live event, it sounds like the majority of the adventure takes place in Avernus. As long as your setting of choice features Avernus or a hell-like plane that's similar enough to make the storyline work, you could probably place the first few levels somewhere other than Baldur's Gate. That's pure speculation, of course.

From what's been revealed, it sounded to me like Zariel's fall and potential redemption was the central theme of the adventure, with the Blood War being an important event taking place in the background and driving a lot of plot motivation. I'm not sure how much the Dead Gods might play into that. If you tore the encounters apart and used them in a different hell-like plane, you might be able to utilize the adventure for its "parts," so to speak.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun May 19, 2019 10:58 am

Nice find!

Added it to the 5E product list thread :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 23, 2019 8:50 am

apotheot wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:26 pm
amazon link doesn't work, and am pretty sure that was just for the dice set anyway...which by themselves look awesome.
Thanks. I've fixed the link now. It was not for a dice set - it was for the book, and it used to have the weird title in the OP - now it has the proper title: Dungeons & Dragons Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus Hardcover Book (D&D Adventure):
Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus blurb on Amazon wrote:Dungeons & Dragons Baldur's Gate: Descent Into Avernus Hardcover Book (D&D Adventure) Hardcover – September 17, 2019
by Wizards RPG Team (Author)

Diabolical dangers await in this adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

Welcome to Baldur’s Gate, a city of ambition and corruption situated at the crossroads of the Sword Coast. You’ve just started your adventuring career, but already find yourself embroiled in a plot that sprawls from the shadows of Baldur’s Gate to the front lines of the planes-spanning Blood War! Do you have what it takes to turn infernal war machines and nefarious contracts against the archdevil Zariel and her diabolical hordes? And can you ever hope to find your way home safely when pitted against the infinite evils of the Nine Hells?
  • This heroic Dungeons & Dragons adventure book takes players from levels 1 to 13 as they journey through Baldur’s Gate and into Avernus, the first layer of the Nine Hells.
  • Baldur’s Gate is among the most iconic locations in all of fantasy culture. A mist-cloaked metropolis on the Sword Coast, it’s a place of history and a home to heroes.
  • The book introduces the epic Infernal War Machines to fifth edition D&D—battle-ready vehicles which you can customize as you blast off into the Blood War.
  • Dungeons Masters will entice their heroes with devil’s deals, a unique set of game mechanics designed to lure adventurers with the ultimate temptations of power and treasure.
  • Created in 1974, D&D transformed gaming culture by blending traditional fantasy with miniatures and wargaming. Fifth edition D&D draws from every prior edition to create a universally compelling play experience
Amazon has not listed the authors yet, but we know from the video in my original post that Adam Lee and Chris Perkins wrote this.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu May 23, 2019 9:29 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 4:32 am
Dread Delgath wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 8:32 pm
I don't think there's enough information available yet to answer your questions definitively. Based on the limited information that dropped during this weekend's D&D Live event, it sounds like the majority of the adventure takes place in Avernus. As long as your setting of choice features Avernus or a hell-like plane that's similar enough to make the storyline work, you could probably place the first few levels somewhere other than Baldur's Gate. That's pure speculation, of course.
We do know more than that. The end of the D&D Beyond interview, that I linked to in the bottom of the original post, says that the PCs will find out that the city of Elturel has vanished, leaving behind a crater, and it looks like demons are trying to take other cities to hell.

Avernus is part of the Great Wheel (which was why I said that I thought this was a Forgotten Realms/Planescape crossover) and the Great Wheel links just as well to Greyhawk. I am not sure if Baldur's Gate being a port-city is relevant to the adventure, but I think you could find a slightly dodgy region of the Flanaess, that is fairly close to the coast and have an inland city get stolen and taken to Avernus instead.

There may well be substitute Greyhawk cities for Baldur's Gate and Elturel in a sidebar in the book. I'm not so sure this adventure would translate to Dragonlance so easily, as I don't think the Blood War is a thing in Dragonlance canon. (I suppose the Blood War could be repackaged as "Evil turning on itself" for Dragonlance.) Eberron would need the entire Blood War to be rebooted and turned into a different thing with the Eberron cosmology. (Maybe Shavarath the Battleground would be the best substitute for Avernus. And Shavarth has a Manifest Zone in the Mournland so perhaps there could be a threat of the Mournland expanding to absorb nearby cities, with the cities themselves teleporting over to Shavarath.) I have no idea how this would work with Mystara, Dark Sun or Birthright. It clearly would not work for Ravenloft. And I think it might be suboptimal for Spelljammer. (Although I suppose you could have cities vanish from asteroids, leaving behind craters...or the farming asteroids around the Rock of Bral could have the villiages on them start to vanish, leaving smoking craters behind.) Using this with Planescape should be easy, but you might need to find a way to tie PCs into the plot of Material Plane cities being stolen.

redking
Hobgoblin

Post by redking » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:26 am

Looks like they are coming up with a new system for Faustian contracts. That could be raided for use in other editions.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:34 am

Big Mac wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:29 am
I am not sure if Baldur's Gate being a port-city is relevant to the adventure, but I think you could find a slightly dodgy region of the Flanaess, that is fairly close to the coast and have an inland city get stolen and taken to Avernus instead.
I think I'd substitute Dyvers for Baldur's Gate and Free Burough (in Furyondy) for Elturel.
(Maybe Shavarath the Battleground would be the best substitute for Avernus.
The 4e version of Eberron has Baator in its cosmology.
Using this with Planescape should be easy, but you might need to find a way to tie PCs into the plot of Material Plane cities being stolen.
You might possibly have them stealing Outlands gate-towns instead.

Return to “The Wishing Well”