D&D Beyond leaked Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden book...or did they?

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

D&D Beyond leaked Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden book...or did they?

Post by Big Mac »

GeekNative are running a story about the aleged leak of the new D&D book: D&D leak: A closer look at Icewind Dale – Rime of the Frostmaiden. Here is the start of their article:
Andrew Gridwood at Geek Nation wrote:Here’s a story we’re getting used to; the next D&D book has leaked ahead of schedule. Will we be adding Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden PDFs to our download collections or the hardback to our shelves?

This time, D&D Beyond allegedly ran a trailer on their YouTube channel before pulling the video.

Whatever happened, it happened long enough for the DnD Next subreddit to notice, only for the mods to remove the post. However, D&D Leaks has shared this cover photo which was reportedly a screenshot from the video.

I’m using words like ‘allegedly’ and ‘reportedly’ because, sadly, that’s how the internet works these days. You have to treat all news, especially unofficial news, with a pinch of salt. Lots of salt.
So, what do you think?

Did D&D Beyond slip up?

Is this really the next D&D book?

Is the story someone trolling Reddit and uploading a photoshopped cover?

Or is it some sort of elaborate trick by WotC and D&D Beyond, to make people think they discovered something and give them free PR?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: D&D Beyond leaked Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden book...or did they?

Post by Havard »

I think it is legit.

Initially I was disappointed with this news, mainly because I thnk the idea of the Icewind Dale being the "next 5E setting" is rather anti climatic.

However, then I saw some discussion about how this could co-function as a kind of 5E version of the 3E book Frostbite. If it has enough details on arctic adventures in general, it might be useful outside the Forgotten Realms.

I have also seen speculation that the Laeral Silverhand's Explorer's Kit was intended to be connected to the Icewind Dale book...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan »

Good news for FR lovers and collectors. Not surprised. I have no interested in settings books. I was disappointed this was not a toolkit book like Xanathar's or Volo's.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

I suspect it's legit, based on the theme of the upcoming D&D Live event. It may even tie into the upcoming video game, Dark Alliance.

My level of interest will depend on the content in the book. I'm assuming this is primarily an adventure. If so, I'll wait for reviews. If it's brilliant, I may convert it to my system of choice and run it, or at least pieces of it.

If there are mechanical sub-systems, I'd be interested to see those. I'm a player in a 5e game, so player options may be interesting, although we're likely too far into our campaign to take advantage of many of them. If they're new mechanical subsystems, it's interested to review those and think about how they might offer new ways of approaching situations in the 13th Age system.

Isuru
Ogre

Post by Isuru »

I'm surprised such a book didn't happen earlier to be honest. It's a decidedly corporate move, bank on a known quantity from their IP's storied past, in an environment that translates well to a good number of games and settings.

Doc Necrotic
Bugbear

Post by Doc Necrotic »

It could be a DM's Guild product approved early for physical approval. Though, it could be an early leak. I saw it coming a mile away. The moment Baldur's Gate DiA was teased, I said IWD is totally next. Granted, I was basing that off of both the PC games and how the playtests had Baldur's Gate followed by Icewind Dale beforehand. We'll see if I have latent psychic power in a few days.
Follow my delves into madness via the Daemons & Deathrays blog!

Return to “The Wishing Well”