[CGP] Sailing the Starlit Sea Preview

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[CGP] Sailing the Starlit Sea Preview

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:23 am

I've been talking to Allen Taliesin via Facebook. He missed the V3-V4 server migration, and can't sign up until Ash has time to migrate the DNS, so I'm posting this preview on his behalf. (He will be signing up soon, so if you have any questions, drop them in the thread.)
Allen Taliesin at Clockwork Gnome Publishing wrote:Sailing the Starlit Sea Preview- The Major Planets of the Seren System

In Sailing the Starlit Sea, the Seren System is presented as the default setting. Its main purpose is to give GMs a jumping off point for their space fantasy campaigns while also providing inspiration for their own designs. The star system also acts as a baseline, an example of what an “average” solar neighborhood might look like. This brief overview is but a glimpse of the full details that will appear in the book.

Sailing the Starlit Sea presents the universe in a fashion mostly consistent with our modern understanding of the cosmos. Nonetheless, slavish devotion to a purely scientific point of view eliminates some great opportunities for adventure. Sailing the Starlit Sea takes a more “pulp-inspired” approach when it comes to the planets and celestial bodies of the Seren System. This is considered the standard assumption in the section of the book that addresses planet and star system design.

However, one of the key parts of Sailing the Starlit Sea will be the Campaign Overlays. These will provide advice on how to alter the standard assumptions to your tastes. Campaign Overlays will address everything from methods of interstellar travel to adjusting the physical laws of the universe. So if Platonic inspired crystalline spheres are your preference, Sailing the Starlit Sea will provide a way to accommodate that choice while still preserving the rules and setting presented in the book.

The Seren System
Named for its yellow sun, the Seren System consists of five intact planets and numerous celestial bodies of varying shapes, sizes, and composition. All of these orbit around the singular star in a fashion similar to thousands of other star systems throughout the known universe. While the Seren System is an “average” example of the diversity found on the Material Plane, its large population groups have made it an important location for commerce and adventure.

Seren
Seren is a mixture of super-heated gases that provide light and warmth to the planets of the system. However, divination spells and tentative explorations have revealed that a gate to the Positive Energy Plane lies at the center of the star. It is this feature, as much as the heat and light, that allows for the abundant life found on the planets that orbit the sun.

According to local religious belief, Seren is both the god of light and the physical embodiment of the sun. As a god, Seren can exist in multiple forms at once, but natives of the system understand that the god is always with them in the blazing star that illuminates their worlds.

Khazal'darak
As might be expected of the planet closest to the sun, Khazal'darak is incredibly hot. But only part of the oppressive heat comes from Seren. Khazal'darak suffers from extensive geological disturbances that create impressive volcanoes and rambling rivers of molten rock. Outside of these bubbling cauldrons of lava are stretches of ashen desert. Since the grey ash of these wastelands is so fine, the slightest wind turns these already inhospitable areas into domains of choking death.

Despite these dangers, Khazal'darak is inhabited by a number of lifeforms. The thick clouds of smoke and ash that hang in the upper atmosphere actually help block the worst of the sun's effects, providing just enough protection to allow for the continued existence of many living things. The only natives of the planet are the creatures of fire that dominate the volcanic mountains and blasted magma plains. Colonists, some of whom arrived many thousands of years ago, live within the ashen deserts. Most of the population live in cities that dot the grey dunes, though a few choose the nomadic life and wander across the deserts in caravans of substantial size. Khazal'darak is home to various species, some of which are new examples of existing races, and further details will be provided in Sailing the Starlit Sea.

Khazal'darak is also often associated with Vulor, God of Murder, Genocide, and Unjust War. As such, it is sometimes called Vulor's Eye, the Baleful One, or the Unwelcome Omen.

Eorthe
Second planet from the sun, Eorthe is a blue and green sphere of magnificent diversity. It fills the role of the standard fantasy campaign setting, though such a moniker does not quite do the world justice. Most Clockwork Gnome Publishing products utilize Eorthe as a default setting and it provides many of the features expected from a fantasy world.

Knowledge of space travel on Eorthe is jealously guarded by a few far-reaching nations and powerful organizations. While tensions run high and philosophies differ, the groups can all agree on one point: access to the technology necessary for space travel should be tightly controlled. From the Gnomish Guild-States to the ancient green dragon called Nyntess the Emerald Paragon, each of these parties will be thoroughly examined in Sailing the Starlit Sea.

Sophias
Rain, constant mist, and a humid atmosphere dominate the third planet in the Seren System. Sophias, named for the Goddess of Wisdom and Abundant Knowledge, is completely covered in forests. It is a verdant paradise that ranges from tropical jungles toward the equator to colder pine forests near the poles. Unlike the forests of Eorthe, however, Sophisian trees are massive, with some growing as large as small mountains. The roots of these trees are interconnected, forming a network that stretches beneath the entire planet.

The thicker atmosphere of Sophias means the planet is slightly warmer than might be anticipated. This has led to smaller ice caps and generally higher average temperatures across all climatic bands. Most bodies of water are small, no larger than a major sea might be on Eorthe. That said, much of the land is marsh and a vast quantity of water is locked away in massive aquifers beneath the planet's surface.

Creatures on Sophias are defined by where they dwell. Many cultures live in the trees, constructing homes along the branches or carving habitations from the gargantuan trunks. These arboreal communities consist mostly of elves (who bear no kinship with the elves of Eorthe), various ape and monkey-like humanoids, and birdfolk of different kinds. They share the treetops with a number of animals and magical beasts. In the thick, often disease-ridden, swamps reside tribes of lizardfolk and boggards. These small communities compete with other creatures well-adapted to the boggy environment.

Due to its association with the Goddess of Wisdom, Sophias is sometimes called the Bastion of Wonder and the Green Traveler.

Ad'an
The largest of the planets is Ad'an, a swirling mass of purple and blue clouds. According to reports there is no solid land to be found, though extreme pressure towards the core of the world has meant few have explored those shrouded depths. What lies beneath is still a mystery. High velocity winds define the environment of Ad'an, whipping the thick gases into spiraling storms or along air currents that encircle the globe. The storms are of the greatest concern, as they have been known to last for centuries before dying out. Buffeting blasts of air can inflict serious damage and arcs of electricity are a common sight in a tempest. These static discharges can easily bring down a small starship, casting the crippled vessel into the crushing deep.

Creatures of air that do not require solid land to rest can be found throughout Ad'an. The rich resources of the planet have also led some to construct satellites designed to resist the pull of the raging wind. These floating communities are usually maintained by alchemical guilds interested in collecting and refining the various gases that move through the atmosphere. Most of these constructs tend to rest within the broad band of breathable atmosphere on Ad'an and require few special considerations outside of their magical anchorage.

Ad'an shares its name with the God of Magic. Because of this relationship, the planet is often called the Eye of Magic or the Arcane Star.

Umbrae
Lurking at the far end of the star system is the lonely world of Umbrae. This is the smallest of the planets and the coldest. Seren is but a distant point of light from Umbrae and almost none of the sun's warmth reaches the frigid sphere. Umbrae is composed entirely of a clear, crystalline substance that catches ambient light and scatters it about the planet. The first captains to reach Umbrae described it as a diamond, glittering coldly on the edge of a maddening abyss. Subsequent expeditions have reported similar impressions and few choose to linger in this desolate place. Parts of Umbrae exist in near total darkness, cloaked in a shadow that is far from natural.

There is life on Umbrae, though little is known of what dwells there. The planet is honeycombed with passages and caverns, all of them perfectly cut from the crystal with a jeweler's precision. Reports speak of creatures well adapted to the shadowy conditions, some lacking eyes and others with vision that can perceive a wide sampling of the light spectrum. A few visitors have encountered a small dark creeper city just below the surface of Umbrae. However, a zealous devotion to the sanity destroying residents of the Ebon Void have insured few willingly seek out this community.

Umbrae bears a close affiliation with Brannyth, the Judge of the Dead. In some planetary charts the planet is named the Dark Wanderer, the Cold Star, and the Glass Traveler.

Next time: The Shattered Wanderer, the moons, and other celestial bodies.
Posted by Allen Taliesin at Monday, July 11, 2011
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [CGP] Sailing the Starlit Sea Preview

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:33 am

Thanks BigMac. I'm really stoked for StSS.

I'm curious what the array of character classes will be?
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:42 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Thanks BigMac. I'm really stoked for StSS.

I'm curious what the array of character classes will be?
I've got Allen making pre-posts to me via Facebook, while we wait for The Piazza to reopen to new accounts:
Allen Taliesin via Facebook message wrote:know TAD somewhat from Paizo.

To answer a couple of questions right now, I can say that the estimated page count for StSS is currently 60 (likely more). When the book was originally conceived it was just a bestiary of aliens, but as the concept was bandied about it grew. I made the alteration at website to reflect that. I shoot low in my estimates and that was definitely way too low for how the product had changed

In addition, the book will be available as PoD in hardcover format. For those who like electronic copies, the PDF version will contain a full art version suitable for high end printing or to view electronically and a printer friendly version. Art will be original (not stock art, basically) and I am talking to artists now.

To answer Havard's question about CGP, we have one release out currently with a new book out in August. Our first release, Along the Faerie Path is available at Paizo and OBS. It has received some pretty great reviews so far, with the only downside being the art in the book.

I agree with those criticisms concerning the art so I am currently developing a new version of the product. This one will improve the layout, replace and re-work the art, and otherwise spruce up the book. It will then be made available for PoD. Of course, those who purchased the previous PDF will get the updated version (printer friendly and full art) for free. But between all of the other things demanding attention, I imagine it will be two months before the updated version is released.

Finally, TAD's question concerning classes is easy to answer. As it stands, there are no new classes being featured in StSS. Of course, that does not mean there will not be some featured in follow-up products. I am really keen on archetypes and I can envision some being developed specifically for future books.

There will be rules for starships and space travel, rules for space hazards, ship-to-ship combat, ship upgrades, a number of ship designs, equipment specific to space travel, a few alternate racial traits, and new creatures.

I mention this in the preview, but one of the important aspects of the book will be the Campaign Overlays. Those will provide suggestions on changing key assumptions to help fine tune the book to other preferences.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:14 am

Thanks for replying Allen.

I'm really glad the page count has risen to closer to 60 pages. (I assume you are not going to have an exact amount until it is typeset.)

I've got a couple of questions, if you are able to answer them, at this time:

You stressed the importance of the "Campaign Overlays". How much change are those things going to allow? Are they going to do things like allow someone to raid your planets for other games (like Spelljammer, Space 1899, Dragonstar or Traveller)? Or do they do something else?

If the Campaign Overlays don't convert your stuff, then how "valuable" is your book going to be to a player of another set of rules, that only wants the "fluff" and not the "crunch"? I know, for example, that Wizards of the Coast's 3e Living Greyhawk Gazeteer goes down well with 2e fans of Greyhawk, as it has a very high content of background material and very few rules. We have fans of SJ on The Piazza that love 2e, have never moved to 3e and will probably not want to migrate to Pathfinder either. They might look on your book as something to raid for their game. Have you got a rough idea of what sort of ratio of "fluff" and "crunch" your book will have?

Like some of the Spelljammer systems I like, your system has a couple of worlds that would seem to be uninhabitable or places that the PCs can fly past but not land on.

I was going to ask if any of the worlds, would get further development in other products, but you answered that with this: "Most Clockwork Gnome Publishing products utilize Eorthe as a default setting and it provides many of the features expected from a fantasy world." So instead I'll ask, how will I be able to tell which books are part of the "Eorthe Campaign Setting"? And if any are not, how will I tell if they are about one of the other worlds in the Seren system? Or how will I tell if a "Manual of the Planes"-like book for Seren's cosmology (and not something for a different product line)?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:38 pm

More from Allen (which I somehow managed to miss until he poked me with a stick :facepalm: ):
Allen Taliesin via Facebook message wrote:You are correct in that I will not have a clear idea how many pages will be in the book until I get closer to layout. I can provide an even clearer estimate once more of the book is clearly defined. However, I do not have a maximum page limit on this project. That makes estimating a price hard at this stage of the process. But I will have a clear idea long before release. It does mean the book will grow as needed, which is exciting.

Campaign Overlays will allow you to tinker with the assumptions to bring them more in line with your favorite fantasy space setting. For instance, I can tell you that one Campaign Overlay will deal specifically with the idea that space is filled with aether as opposed to a vacuum. Another will address the concept of spheres. There will be many more, all of which will take a key part of the setting/rules and provide options. Naturally, there is a balance to be struck as we cannot name other settings explicitly, but there will be valuable tools to help a GM fine tune the material in StSS.

In some cases the suggestions made will seem like old hat to veterans used to converting material. That is a obstacle that I think is somewhat unavoidable, but we will try our best to insure we offer tools to as wide an audience as possible.

Some of these Campaign Overlays will deal with rules, which has some relation with your question about setting/story vs. rules. Since changing the natural laws of the setting or altering how space travel works will impact these mechanics, there will be some points where that will receive a good amount of attention.

When it comes to the story vs. mechanics ratio, I can say we are looking at about 50/50. Much of the fluff will deal with the history of space travel, the current state of affairs amongst the known systems, and how the Seren System fits within all of that. Each planet will receive at least two pages of information. Most of the non-planet locations will range from a half page to a full page. Only one of those planetoids, the mercane controlled city of Nimbus, will likely see more. There will also be info on local deities, major communities, and other pertinent info for campaigns in the star system.

The ability to use this setting material in another campaign setting and with another game system is important to me, so the actual story information will be virtually mechanics free. However, one of the goals of the book is to bring the fun of fantasy space travel to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, so there will be a fair amount of rule expansions for that purpose. But those rules will be in their own sections, separate from the setting material.

Right now, our products are divided into two broad lines: Campaign Cogs and Adventure Works. Expanding on StSS depends entirely on reception. If StSS proves popular, you can guarantee there will be new books on the subject.

When it comes to providing more info for the solar system outside of StSS, all of our products will be clearly marked if it takes place some place other than Eorthe. If a product does not state it will take place on another planet in the solar system or on another plane, it uses Eorthe. Any book that deals with another planet in the Seren System will be a book related to StSS. You will not see a book on Ad'an, for instance, that is not somehow clearly connected to StSS. I go into more information about that below.

Eorthe is being kept separate from the greater star system for a number of reasons. Books that use Eorthe as the default setting (which includes just about everything other than StSS and an upcoming adventure) are also easily adapted to other fantasy campaign settings.

There will be a 1st level adventure designed as an introduction to StSS and will be clearly marked as such. The full title will be Sailing the Starlit Sea: Voyage of the Emerald Gryphon. That way you know what you are getting into. I will have more info on this adventure when I make my announcement on Monday concerning the new Adventure Works line. The potential for future adventures using StSS will depend on response.

I would be very, very interested in doing expansion material (outside of adventures) for StSS. Not only is there a great deal of room to explore in the Seren System, but other solar systems as well. I would like to see an expanded setting book for the Seren System, if there is demand. Of course, individual sourcebooks on different planets would also be considered if there is future interest. Those books that deal primarily with setting material will be very mechanics light. However, I would also like to publish books that expand the mechanics presented in StSS. Like other books, it will be clear whether or not a book is mechanics heavy.

As with the adventures, these books will use the following naming convention: Sailing the Starlit Sea: Title of Book. CGP has two broad product lines: Campaign Cogs and Adventure Works. That designation will determine whether a book is an adventure module or an expansion of some sort.

Allen Taliesin
Orc

Post by Allen Taliesin » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:36 pm

The Seren System Part Two: The Moons, the Shattered Wanderer, and Other Planetary Bodies should be up this week. Later in the week I will also be posting a short preview on all of the creatures that will appear in the book.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Allen Taliesin wrote:The Seren System Part Two: The Moons, the Shattered Wanderer, and Other Planetary Bodies should be up this week. Later in the week I will also be posting a short preview on all of the creatures that will appear in the book.
I'm looking forward to it.

Paizo have something out for Pathfinder soon. Are you going to be able to make a Campaign Overlay to allow people with their book to use your solar system as a bolt on product to expand the Pathfinder universe?

If the schedules of both products make that impossible (and they do both seem to be coming out pretty close to each other) is it something that Clockwork Gnome might be able to put out later as a Web Enhancement?

Allen Taliesin
Orc

Post by Allen Taliesin » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:55 pm

Things were unfortunately delayed last week but the preview is going to an editor today and should be up this week.
Paizo have something out for Pathfinder soon. Are you going to be able to make a Campaign Overlay to allow people with their book to use your solar system as a bolt on product to expand the Pathfinder universe?
Most of this material, outside of game mechanics, will likely be closed content. That means I cannot quote any of it by name. I am very happy with this as I would rather let GMs integrate Paizo's setting material with Sailing the Starlit Sea in a manner they prefer. This is a good time to also mention that none of the Paizo setting material can be used by name. There are some third party publishers doing material that works with the various Adventure Paths but they must be careful how they refer to the setting so that they remain in compliance.

However, the book Paizo is releasing appears to be mostly about their solar system and the various ways to jump between the planets in it. While there are still some things we do not know, I think it would be easy for a GM to use the Golarion solar system with Sailing the Starlit Sea. Interstellar travel in Sailing the Starlit Sea is achieved through the use of special space gates that open to different solar systems based on harmonic frequencies. Since the default physical laws in StSS are the same as those used by Paizo, I suspect there will be little to no conversion needed. I did that on purpose, by the way.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:47 pm

Allen Taliesin wrote:Most of this material, outside of game mechanics, will likely be closed content. That means I cannot quote any of it by name. I am very happy with this as I would rather let GMs integrate Paizo's setting material with Sailing the Starlit Sea in a manner they prefer. This is a good time to also mention that none of the Paizo setting material can be used by name. There are some third party publishers doing material that works with the various Adventure Paths but they must be careful how they refer to the setting so that they remain in compliance.
The way that this sort of stuff is closed content has always been something that has frustrated me.

You kind of need a "fantasy space SRD" (or a PI licence) to be able to get different publishers to get behind a common system for linking up different campaign settings.
Allen Taliesin wrote:However, the book Paizo is releasing appears to be mostly about their solar system and the various ways to jump between the planets in it. While there are still some things we do not know, I think it would be easy for a GM to use the Golarion solar system with Sailing the Starlit Sea. Interstellar travel in Sailing the Starlit Sea is achieved through the use of special space gates that open to different solar systems based on harmonic frequencies. Since the default physical laws in StSS are the same as those used by Paizo, I suspect there will be little to no conversion needed. I did that on purpose, by the way.
That sounds useful. Here is hoping that a few other campaign settings will publish a solar system book.

Allen Taliesin
Orc

Post by Allen Taliesin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:55 pm

The way that this sort of stuff is closed content has always been something that has frustrated me.

You kind of need a "fantasy space SRD" (or a PI licence) to be able to get different publishers to get behind a common system for linking up different campaign settings.
I have to say, Paizo is one of the best for Open Content. Just about every book they have published has open content that I would love to draw from and expand. As a publisher I understand why they want to insure their setting material stays closed. That kind of IP is the bread and butter of an OGL publisher.

I do get what you are saying. CGP is interested in producing books that are open in many ways. There are closed details, simply because that is necessary for some things. But we try to create as big a playground as possible with our material.

I think, in some ways, publishers tend to assume a GM will link settings on their own. I believe there is value in providing easy links, however, and there are definitely publishers who do a pretty good job with this. By working within a set of assumptions we can provide a sense that all of these settings exist in the same universe. The PRD provides some good groundwork to build from for those of us publishing Pathfinder Roleplaying Game material. Providing tools for the GM to do things like this is foremost on my mind when planning products for CGP

It is definitely my goal for Sailing the Starlit Sea to be as open as possible. I want to keep a hold of a few stray elements, but otherwise I am happy to have others play in the sandbox. From a publisher's point of view, I am hoping this encourages other publishers to use the material for their own space fantasy products. This is sort of a two-pronged approach. It is my intent to provide a good guide for players/GMs and for resource publishers can draw from. There are plans in the works to insure publishers are aware of that intent so they can be informed about StSS. I have a similar idea for a planar book, by the way, but that is still very amorphous and not anywhere near the planning stages.

It would be nice to see more settings detail the solar system that surrounds them, assuming their physics allow for it. Golarion had some of those traits right out of the gate and I think that captured the imagination of fans early on. There is a definitely a demand for that sort of thing, even if some of those who enjoy it would not otherwise be interested in fantasy space travel. Interplanetary fantasy is definitely big right now.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:29 am

Allen Taliesin wrote:

I have to say, Paizo is one of the best for Open Content. Just about every book they have published has open content that I would love to draw from and expand. As a publisher I understand why they want to insure their setting material stays closed. That kind of IP is the bread and butter of an OGL publisher.

I do get what you are saying. CGP is interested in producing books that are open in many ways. There are closed details, simply because that is necessary for some things. But we try to create as big a playground as possible with our material.

I think, in some ways, publishers tend to assume a GM will link settings on their own. I believe there is value in providing easy links, however, and there are definitely publishers who do a pretty good job with this. By working within a set of assumptions we can provide a sense that all of these settings exist in the same universe. The PRD provides some good groundwork to build from for those of us publishing Pathfinder Roleplaying Game material. Providing tools for the GM to do things like this is foremost on my mind when planning products for CGP

It is definitely my goal for Sailing the Starlit Sea to be as open as possible. I want to keep a hold of a few stray elements, but otherwise I am happy to have others play in the sandbox. From a publisher's point of view, I am hoping this encourages other publishers to use the material for their own space fantasy products. This is sort of a two-pronged approach. It is my intent to provide a good guide for players/GMs and for resource publishers can draw from. There are plans in the works to insure publishers are aware of that intent so they can be informed about StSS. I have a similar idea for a planar book, by the way, but that is still very amorphous and not anywhere near the planning stages.
I think a PI licence is the way to go here. They don't get used much, but they allow you to make any condition you need to protect your IP. You (or Paizo) can even do a PI licence as an agreement agreed on a case by case basis.

Perhaps you can have a chat with Clark Peterson, as he is one of the few publishers I know who actively used them. As well as being a publisher, he is also a lawyer and he is an expert on the OGL.
Allen Taliesin wrote:It would be nice to see more settings detail the solar system that surrounds them, assuming their physics allow for it. Golarion had some of those traits right out of the gate and I think that captured the imagination of fans early on. There is a definitely a demand for that sort of thing, even if some of those who enjoy it would not otherwise be interested in fantasy space travel. Interplanetary fantasy is definitely big right now.
Even if people don't want to travel into space, this sort of thing allows for people to have realistic astrology for their setting.

Allen Taliesin
Orc

Post by Allen Taliesin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:27 am

I think a PI licence is the way to go here. They don't get used much, but they allow you to make any condition you need to protect your IP. You (or Paizo) can even do a PI licence as an agreement agreed on a case by case basis.

Perhaps you can have a chat with Clark Peterson, as he is one of the few publishers I know who actively used them. As well as being a publisher, he is also a lawyer and he is an expert on the OGL.
Personally I am happy with leaving things open and letting GMs make their own connections. For what I am doing the OGL will serve my purposes. Paizo has done a pretty good job drawing a clear line between Pathfinder Roleplaying Game rules supplements and Golarion support. While I love Paizo's work, I am not necessarily interested in producing stuff directly related to Golarion. I would rather make products that could be easily used with their material (and with any other fantasy setting, actually) while simultaneously developing a CGP universe that GMs can use if they like.

Right now, the world is being developed through Campaign Cogs and the Adventure Works line. At some point in the indeterminate, but near, future there will be a gazetteer for the first area of Eorthe to be explored, the continent of Mendor. If it looks like there is interest, there will be more. The same goes for Sailing the Starlit Sea. If there is interest I can guarantee more of Known Space will be explored, which means the development of new solar systems.

Speaking of Clark, his new business has taken an interesting tactic with relation to Paizo's material. He will be doing supplementary products for their Adventure Paths. While he does not hold a license to directly mention Golarion material, and does not appear to be pursuing one, he will be referring to the APs in a roundabout manner. I will be very interested to see what he produces. It promises to be good stuff.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:53 am

Allen Taliesin wrote:Personally I am happy with leaving things open and letting GMs make their own connections. For what I am doing the OGL will serve my purposes. Paizo has done a pretty good job drawing a clear line between Pathfinder Roleplaying Game rules supplements and Golarion support. While I love Paizo's work, I am not necessarily interested in producing stuff directly related to Golarion. I would rather make products that could be easily used with their material (and with any other fantasy setting, actually) while simultaneously developing a CGP universe that GMs can use if they like.
CGP....collaborative gaming product?
Allen Taliesin wrote:Right now, the world is being developed through Campaign Cogs and the Adventure Works line. At some point in the indeterminate, but near, future there will be a gazetteer for the first area of Eorthe to be explored, the continent of Mendor. If it looks like there is interest, there will be more. The same goes for Sailing the Starlit Sea. If there is interest I can guarantee more of Known Space will be explored, which means the development of new solar systems.
Trying to get feedback for my homebrew solar system right now. I look forward to nabbing your product when it becomes available. It will be available in PDF format in the Paizo store, right?
Allen Taliesin wrote:Speaking of Clark, his new business has taken an interesting tactic with relation to Paizo's material. He will be doing supplementary products for their Adventure Paths. While he does not hold a license to directly mention Golarion material, and does not appear to be pursuing one, he will be referring to the APs in a roundabout manner. I will be very interested to see what he produces. It promises to be good stuff.
Very interesting. I can't wait to hear more about this. Do you have a link to where I can find this info?

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:30 am

Big Mac wrote:
Allen Taliesin wrote:It would be nice to see more settings detail the solar system that surrounds them, assuming their physics allow for it. Golarion had some of those traits right out of the gate and I think that captured the imagination of fans early on. There is a definitely a demand for that sort of thing, even if some of those who enjoy it would not otherwise be interested in fantasy space travel. Interplanetary fantasy is definitely big right now.
Even if people don't want to travel into space, this sort of thing allows for people to have realistic astrology for their setting.
After you mentioned what Clark Peterson was doing to support Golarion's AP products, you got me wondering.

If some publishers don't want to publish a product that details the solar system around their campaign setting, I wonder if they would licence another company, like your own, to publish that solar system product.
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Allen Taliesin wrote:Personally I am happy with leaving things open and letting GMs make their own connections. For what I am doing the OGL will serve my purposes. Paizo has done a pretty good job drawing a clear line between Pathfinder Roleplaying Game rules supplements and Golarion support. While I love Paizo's work, I am not necessarily interested in producing stuff directly related to Golarion. I would rather make products that could be easily used with their material (and with any other fantasy setting, actually) while simultaneously developing a CGP universe that GMs can use if they like.
CGP....collaborative gaming product?
Clockwork Gnome Publishing.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:52 am

Big Mac wrote:Clockwork Gnome Publishing.
:facepalm: Go figure. I don't know why that didn't register first.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Allen Taliesin
Orc

Post by Allen Taliesin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:31 pm

Trying to get feedback for my homebrew solar system right now. I look forward to nabbing your product when it becomes available. It will be available in PDF format in the Paizo store, right?
Yep, it will be available at the Paizo store in PDF.
Very interesting. I can't wait to hear more about this. Do you have a link to where I can find this info?
Here is the link for the Adventure Path Plug-ins. It looks like he is doing a series called Ultimate Plug-ins as well.
http://www.makeyourgamelegendary.com/?page_id=75

Allen Taliesin
Orc

Post by Allen Taliesin » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:34 pm

If some publishers don't want to publish a product that details the solar system around their campaign setting, I wonder if they would licence another company, like your own, to publish that solar system product.
It is possible. CGP's plate is pretty full right now but if there is interest from a particular publisher/fans of the setting and I had the resources at the time, it would be something I would definitely look into.

Allen Taliesin
Orc

Post by Allen Taliesin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:28 am

As an adjunct to this train of thought, I would entertain partnerships in regards to StSS. Nothing guaranteed, but if after the release of StSS a publisher expresses interest in such an arrangement, I am definitely open to the idea.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:33 am

Allen Taliesin wrote:As an adjunct to this train of thought, I would entertain partnerships in regards to StSS. Nothing guaranteed, but if after the release of StSS a publisher expresses interest in such an arrangement, I am definitely open to the idea.
Sounds like you might be able to make this like the Mongoose version of Traveller, if you can get one or more other publishers onboard. :D

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:36 am

Big Mac wrote:
Allen Taliesin wrote:As an adjunct to this train of thought, I would entertain partnerships in regards to StSS. Nothing guaranteed, but if after the release of StSS a publisher expresses interest in such an arrangement, I am definitely open to the idea.
Sounds like you might be able to make this like the Mongoose version of Traveller, if you can get one or more other publishers onboard. :D
Hell, he's got me on board. I'm not a publisher, but I am a writer. I'd to make Sarûniaspace StSS compliant.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:57 am

I know I'm looking forward to this at any rate. I may wait for print but this is definitely something I want.

Return to “The Wishing Well”