Mirage Arcana - Final Resting Place

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Mirage Arcana - Final Resting Place

Post by True_Atlantean »

Hi guys,

I have settled on Screencast as the final resting place for the old Mirage Arcana episodes, to ensure that this community still has access to them. However, would a few folk mind testing the link below and ensure that you can not only get in, but also download the content. I have made it Publicly accessible, but as an Account Holder, I find it it very difficult to get an accurate picture of what the average user sees.

Once we have confirmation that it works, I'll post up a complete episode guide for everyone.

Thanks for any help in advance, and I hope this works. The link is: http://www.screencast.com/users/MirageA ... %20Podcast

PAx
Adrian
The Mirage Arcana Podcast Archive has moved. Visit us here.
Keep up-to-date with RPG news at my Scoop.It page.
Kippers and Jam, a blog about roleplaying.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Mirage Arcana - Final Resting Place

Post by Big Mac »

I can see 26 of them, but I've only got so much bandwidth in my monthly quota. ;(

I might download one or two at work. :twisted:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean »

Big Mac wrote:I can see 26 of them, but I've only got so much bandwidth in my monthly quota. ;(

I might download one or two at work. :twisted:
That's brilliant that it works. The only caveat that I have for everyone is that I do have limited bandwidth through this account, so there is the potential for some downtime. Bandwidth resets on the 27th of every month, so if you're trying (and failing) to download an old episode, just check the date. I'm happy to field any additional enquiries.

I'll now work on getting an episode list up in the next day or three.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

One thing you might want to consider is adding an image to the sound and then uploading it to YouTube.

There are a lot of tabletop gamers on YouTube, so they could find you were they are.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

Cool,
I was able to listen to the podcasts, but how do I download them? :?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Havard wrote:I was able to listen to the podcasts, but how do I download them? :?
Looks like they don't want you to download from Screencast (although you do actually download them somewhere to listen to them).

You should be able to go behind the scenes to grab them (but doing that depends on what type of browser and operating system you have).

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean »

If you click on the icon for the sound recording, you'll be taken to another screen which has:

Content:
MA026.mp3 - 61.47MB Download
Title: MA026

The download link works in my browser, and the example was drawn from: http://www.screencast.com/users/MirageA ... b837d466d5

Try this and let me know if it works for you.

Adrian

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

True_Atlantean wrote:If you click on the icon for the sound recording, you'll be taken to another screen which has:

Content:
MA026.mp3 - 61.47MB Download
Title: MA026

The download link works in my browser, and the example was drawn from: http://www.screencast.com/users/MirageA ... b837d466d5

Try this and let me know if it works for you.

Adrian
Hmmm... I do see the page, but the "download" link seems to be missing... :(

Tried it in Firefox and Opera.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi »

Well if go to the share tab and look at the embed on your page, you can find the url. Not as simple as just clicking unfortunately.

http://content.screencast.com/users/Mir ... /MA002.mp3
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
ImageImage

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean »

dulsi wrote:Well if go to the share tab and look at the embed on your page, you can find the url. Not as simple as just clicking unfortunately.

The main question then is: did you manage to download the file? I've obviously got a different view as the owner of the account, and I'm awaiting a response from Techsmith on this issue. I've looked into a few other applications, but space is a consideration (a pity as I really like the concept of SoundCloud).

If anyone has any other solutions that I might have skipped, please do let me know. My concern here is to put the podcasts somewhere that is easily accessible to the community.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

True_Atlantean wrote:
dulsi wrote:Well if go to the share tab and look at the embed on your page, you can find the url. Not as simple as just clicking unfortunately.

The main question then is: did you manage to download the file? I've obviously got a different view as the owner of the account, and I'm awaiting a response from Techsmith on this issue. I've looked into a few other applications, but space is a consideration (a pity as I really like the concept of SoundCloud).
I am now the proud ownere of MA002.mp3, although, I don't know what the show is as I've not listened to it yet. Just in case it is important, I did go to the webpage first, so it is possible that the screencast server saw me as someone listening to the mp3 from their page.
True_Atlantean wrote:If anyone has any other solutions that I might have skipped, please do let me know. My concern here is to put the podcasts somewhere that is easily accessible to the community.
This works, but one thing that concerns me is that screencast.com might not want this sort of thing done and might eventually block it.

This should also work: Download ANY file from ANY site using Safari. I've not done it with your episodes, but have got it to work with FLV video files.

BTW: Would it be possible for you to provide us with the original titles, so that I can change the filenames when I drop these files into iTunes. My copy of iTunes has some of them, but only back to episode 5. ;(

Also, do you have episode 1? That seems to be missing.

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean »

Big Mac,

My intention is to have the metadata tags for all of the episodes filled out later this week. This will make the content a lot easier to locate. I'm keen to ensure folks with limited download limits per month (like me) aren't having to blindly download stuff in the hopes that it is a good episode.
I'll post back once that job is done.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

True_Atlantean wrote:Big Mac,

My intention is to have the metadata tags for all of the episodes filled out later this week. This will make the content a lot easier to locate. I'm keen to ensure folks with limited download limits per month (like me) aren't having to blindly download stuff in the hopes that it is a good episode.
I'll post back once that job is done.
Thanks. That will be awesome.

Even if you could edit the episode names (so they are not just numbers) it would be easier to find out what is what.

BTW: What sort of Internet do you have down in Australia? Are you on SDSL (like the US is), ADSL (like the UK is) or dial up (eek!)?

I think a lot of people have snazzy connections in the US and don't realise other countries are not all advancing at the same rate.

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean »

Job now done. If you visit: http://www.screencast.com/users/MirageA ... %20Podcast, you'll see that all episodes now have some details to aid in your selection (use the 'Details View' button over near the top right-hand side of the screen. The icon looks like three little boxes on top of one another, with a single line coming from each).
I have also made sure that the box is ticked for all episodes so that the 'Show download link' is now visible and works. Likewise, I've enabled 'Comments' in case anyone feels strongly enough to put one in.

As for Internet access, it varies wildly. I'm on wireless (with an 8GB limit per month) through a single telecommunications provider (it's that or nothing where I live), but if you travel about two or three kilometres away, you'll get ADSL without problems. There are a number of towns where dial-up is still the only option. :o
Australia is only now just starting a National Broadband Scheme, which will aim to have ubiquitous wireless and high speed broadband connectivity to around 98% of the country. My town is one of the first to be affected, but realistically, I won't see any difference for at least two years. Whilst it sounds good on paper, they will be rolling out the cable to the major streets first, and given the number of political bun fights (and a looming Federal election), it could take a number of years to fully implement.
However, dealing with limited access (that does have a tendency to be less than reliable) and limited downloads has been good for me. It makes me a little more conscious of limitations faced by others and leads me not to assume full connectivity. So some good has come of it. :D

Return to “The Wishing Well”