[BRP] RuneQuest 6

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Havard
Dragon Turtle

[BRP] RuneQuest 6

Post by Havard » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:27 pm

"The Design Mechanism will be producing the sixth published edition of RQ for an early 2012 release."

http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/runequest.php

Both designers have previously worked on Mongoose RQII.

Also, check out the cover here:
http://akraticwizardry.blogspot.com/201 ... est-6.html

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Re: [Design Mechanism] RuneQuest 6 for 2012 (and Cover)

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:21 am

I wonder how well it will fare against Legend. The cover art leaves a lot to be desired, at leat imo; I'm unimpressed. Hopefully it'll change.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:13 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:I wonder how well it will fare against Legend. The cover art leaves a lot to be desired, at leat imo; I'm unimpressed. Hopefully it'll change.
This is a much smaller company than Mongoose. Their advantage is that they are working with Greg Stafford* and Issares Inc. which means they will be _the game_ for Glorantha. But expect production values in terms of art and layout to be better for Mongoose.

*=The Glorantha guru.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:35 am

Havard wrote:This is a much smaller company than Mongoose.
This is curious. How does a smaller company afford to nab the license away from a bigger one?
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:29 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Havard wrote:This is a much smaller company than Mongoose.
This is curious. How does a smaller company afford to nab the license away from a bigger one?
Greg Stafford probably has a vested interest in the smaller company and is able to lead the direction in which they will be taking the setting/game. It is also possible that Mongoose didnt want to bother paying for the RuneQuest name anymore.

Mongoose's Glorantha lisence was always only limited to the 2nd Age anyway. I dont know if they will be loosing that.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:The cover art leaves a lot to be desired, at leat imo; I'm unimpressed.
The cover art is instantly recognisable as a clear homage to the 1st and 2nd edition Runequest books that Chaosium produced back in the '70s and '80s.
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:49 pm

Blacky the Blackball wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:The cover art leaves a lot to be desired, at leat imo; I'm unimpressed.
The cover art is instantly recognisable as a clear homage to the 1st and 2nd edition Runequest books that Chaosium produced back in the '70s and '80s.
Yeah. Actually I really like this cover piece :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

happylarry
Ogre

Post by happylarry » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:07 pm

This looks interesting - I nearly bought some old runequest books (GW ones I think) in the second hand section of a games store a few months back - but wasn't sure which edition to go for. I seek enlightenment...

Loz
Goblin

Post by Loz » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi guys,

First, thanks to Havard for pointing me in the direction of Piazza. You hadn't been on my radar before.

Second, some history behind Design Mechanism and RQ.

I worked for Mongoose, along with my writing partner Pete Nash, for three years. I've been playing RQ and Basic Roleplaying games since 1983 so it was inevitable I'd end-up line-managing Mongoose's RQ. Towards the middle of last year it became apparent that the line wasn't doing as well as it had been and Greg Stafford suggested to Mongoose that they amicably part company, which is what happened. This gave Mongoose free-reign to rebrand the work Pete and I did on Mongoose RQII and create the 'Legend' brand.

When I knew the license was available, I had some very long discussions with Greg about taking it on. We've known each other for many years and are good friends. I was able to convince him that Pete and I, working as Design Mechanism, could take the game in a direction that was much closer to its original roots whilst also maintaining links with both Second and Third Age Glorantha (Mongoose had no license for Third Age products). Design Mechanism, whilst small, knows this game, Glorantha, and a host of other areas inside-out, so that's how we came to become the new RuneQuest licensees.

Greg doesn't dictate the games direction, but he has final approval over everything we do, and we're happy to keep him involved every step of the way. Our business model articulates very clearly how we'll develop the game and Greg's very happy with what we've proposed, and so we have a good, strong, productive relationship.

As for the RQ6 cover, I had, from the outset, decided to homage the original boxed set from the 80s (it was in the business plan, in fact). RQ's incredible heritage had been lost for a long time and Design Mechanism wants to recapture that and bring it back to its old audience and present it to a new one. The game itself will be a big expansion of what was produced for Mongoose and we'll be developing brand new content: settings, standalone scenarios, campaigns and a magazine. If you look at the FAQ on our website you can learn more about what we're doing and how we're doing it.

I'm always happy to discuss Design Mechanism, RuneQuest and how we're moving things forward. I'll dropping by Piazza quite regularly from now on.

And [shameless plug] take a look at our Drivethru RPG page. We have some amazing deals on Mongoose-produced RQ and Glorantha books which should serve as an excellent introduction, at a ridiculously low price, to the game and the iconic setting. [/shameless plug]

Thanks.

Lawrence.
The Design Mechanism
Publishers of Mythras
http://thedesignmechanism.com

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:06 pm

Loz wrote:Hi guys,

First, thanks to Havard for pointing me in the direction of Piazza. You hadn't been on my radar before.
Hello Lawrence! Welcome to the Piazza! :)

Second, some history behind Design Mechanism and RQ.

I worked for Mongoose, along with my writing partner Pete Nash, for three years. I've been playing RQ and Basic Roleplaying games since 1983 so it was inevitable I'd end-up line-managing Mongoose's RQ. Towards the middle of last year it became apparent that the line wasn't doing as well as it had been and Greg Stafford suggested to Mongoose that they amicably part company, which is what happened. This gave Mongoose free-reign to rebrand the work Pete and I did on Mongoose RQII and create the 'Legend' brand.
Interesting! So we are getting two RuneQuest games pretty much from the same designers? Like we talked about in this thread, RuneQuest material from different editons seems easy enough to combine, so I'm thinking the more the better? How easy will it be to combine MQ6 material with Legend and other editions?

By the way, I met Pete Nash and Jeff Richard at RopeCon last summer. They were both really nice and really interesting guys. This is part of what got me interested in RQ6 apart from having played quite a bit in Glorantha in the past.
When I knew the license was available, I had some very long discussions with Greg about taking it on. We've known each other for many years and are good friends. I was able to convince him that Pete and I, working as Design Mechanism, could take the game in a direction that was much closer to its original roots whilst also maintaining links with both Second and Third Age Glorantha (Mongoose had no license for Third Age products). Design Mechanism, whilst small, knows this game, Glorantha, and a host of other areas inside-out, so that's how we came to become the new RuneQuest licensees.
Sounds like you definately have the insight required. What will happen to 2nd Age Glorantha now?
Greg doesn't dictate the games direction, but he has final approval over everything we do, and we're happy to keep him involved every step of the way. Our business model articulates very clearly how we'll develop the game and Greg's very happy with what we've proposed, and so we have a good, strong, productive relationship.
Sounds great! So we dont have to worry about this phenomenon called "Gregging" that I have heard about? :D
As for the RQ6 cover, I had, from the outset, decided to homage the original boxed set from the 80s (it was in the business plan, in fact). RQ's incredible heritage had been lost for a long time and Design Mechanism wants to recapture that and bring it back to its old audience and present it to a new one. The game itself will be a big expansion of what was produced for Mongoose and we'll be developing brand new content: settings, standalone scenarios, campaigns and a magazine. If you look at the FAQ on our website you can learn more about what we're doing and how we're doing it.
I think the cover looks great! What is that creature though? :)

I'm always happy to discuss Design Mechanism, RuneQuest and how we're moving things forward. I'll dropping by Piazza quite regularly from now on.
Looking forward to it! :)
And [shameless plug] take a look at our Drivethru RPG page. We have some amazing deals on Mongoose-produced RQ and Glorantha books which should serve as an excellent introduction, at a ridiculously low price, to the game and the iconic setting. [/shameless plug]

Thanks.
I'm there already! :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Loz
Goblin

Post by Loz » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:17 am

Interesting! So we are getting two RuneQuest games pretty much from the same designers? Like we talked about in this thread, RuneQuest material from different editons seems easy enough to combine, so I'm thinking the more the better? How easy will it be to combine MQ6 material with Legend and other editions?
Pretty much, yes. There are differences of course. RQ6 is changing a few elements in subtle but distinct ways, correcting a few mistakes, clarifying some inconsistencies and putting a great deal more into the game. We think its bigger and better than Legend.

But both systems, coming from the same stable, have a 95%+ degree of compatibility. Just about all BRP games share this trait, so you can use Legend books with RQ6 and vice-versa.
By the way, I met Pete Nash and Jeff Richard at RopeCon last summer. They were both really nice and really interesting guys. This is part of what got me interested in RQ6 apart from having played quite a bit in Glorantha in the past.
Its a shame I couldn't be there. I've heard the stories though and it sounds like they had a blast.
Sounds like you definately have the insight required. What will happen to 2nd Age Glorantha now?
We can keep on developing it, and intend to do so. There's some excellent Second Age material now for Glorantha and as I developed much of it I want to keep on doing it. Its not a top priority, but one of the good things about our license is that we can create RQ material for both Second and Third Age Glorantha.
Sounds great! So we dont have to worry about this phenomenon called "Gregging" that I have heard about? :D
Not where RQ's concerned. Gregging's a uniquely Gloranthan event. In fact, there are 'I've Been Gregged' t shirts available. And yes, I HAVE been Gregged a couple of times.
I think the cover looks great! What is that creature though? :)
Its a slargr (pron. SLAR-guh). Or, if you play in Glorantha, a slarge. Big, semi-intelligent lizardman.
Looking forward to it! :)
Me too! This is a great forum from what I've been reading. I'm glad I found you.
The Design Mechanism
Publishers of Mythras

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:58 pm

Loz wrote:Pretty much, yes. There are differences of course. RQ6 is changing a few elements in subtle but distinct ways, correcting a few mistakes, clarifying some inconsistencies and putting a great deal more into the game. We think its bigger and better than Legend.

But both systems, coming from the same stable, have a 95%+ degree of compatibility. Just about all BRP games share this trait, so you can use Legend books with RQ6 and vice-versa.
Bigger and better sounds great! :) I also like systems that allow some reusability of older editions.

RopeCon:
Its a shame I couldn't be there. I've heard the stories though and it sounds like they had a blast.
Perhaps there will be more opportunities when the game is out? :)

Glorantha:
We can keep on developing it, and intend to do so. There's some excellent Second Age material now for Glorantha and as I developed much of it I want to keep on doing it. Its not a top priority, but one of the good things about our license is that we can create RQ material for both Second and Third Age Glorantha.
Great! I like that RuneQuest keeps on going hand in hand with Glorantha. Not that I mind having the other settings around either of course, but there is something about staying true to one's roots. I hope that these upcoming products will spawn more RuneQuest discussions here on the Piazza as well.

Gregging:
Not where RQ's concerned. Gregging's a uniquely Gloranthan event. In fact, there are 'I've Been Gregged' t shirts available. And yes, I HAVE been Gregged a couple of times.
That is pretty funny :)

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:39 pm

I've played the Chaosium RQ2 and RQ3 a little bit, and I've recently bought MRQ2 which reads great - I particularly like the combat manoeuvres - but I haven't had chance to play it yet.

However, I have a problem getting it to the table because only one of my players has played it before (and he's only played Chaosium RQ2) and my other players are all rather scared of the sheer amount of Glorantha material. The setting being so well developed can act against itself because it's perceived as requiring a huge learning curve to get into the game.

So how newbie-friendly is RQ6 for people who don't know Glorantha that well? Where have you struck the balance between introducing the setting in broad strokes for new players versus giving detail for experienced players of earlier editions?

Also, although I know Glorantha better than my players do, my own knowledge is limited to what's in the old Chaosium RQ2 Cults of Prax & Cults of Terror, and the Avalon Hill RQ3 boxed Glorantha sets (Gods of Glorantha, Genertela: Crucible of the Hero Wars, Gloranthan Bestiary). How compatible will my old books be with RQ6?
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

Paladyn
Gnoll

Post by Paladyn » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi Lwrence!

It is very nice to meet you. Recently I visited tour website and forum. So much I did liked it, I've bookmarked it.

Nice to see RuneQuest doing well. While for much of mu rpg-life I've been playing D&D, worked with Warhammer, it was RuneQuest that introduced me to RolePlaying Games. It holds a very special place in my heart.

Keeping fingers crossed and awaitin impatietly for any ners.

Best regards
Marcin

Loz
Goblin

Post by Loz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:06 pm

I've played the Chaosium RQ2 and RQ3 a little bit, and I've recently bought MRQ2 which reads great - I particularly like the combat manoeuvres - but I haven't had chance to play it yet.
I hope you do; combat is fast, dynamic and full of all kinds of possibilities beyond hit/parry/damage/die.
However, I have a problem getting it to the table because only one of my players has played it before (and he's only played Chaosium RQ2) and my other players are all rather scared of the sheer amount of Glorantha material. The setting being so well developed can act against itself because it's perceived as requiring a huge learning curve to get into the game.
Well, I won't disagree. Glorantha can be incredibly daunting. I would recommend taking a look at the Glorantha Archive bundle we have on Drivethru though. You can buy a whole raft of Glorantha books, RQ6 and MRQII compatible, for $10. The setting book offers some broad-strokes on what Glorantha is, and the three campaign books all offer a way into the setting from the point of view of a specific culture, which is always the best way to go. You don't have to know Glorantha inside out to play it; just enough to bring the setting alive. 'Pavis Rises', for instance, is all about new people in a new place, and is a good starting point.
So how newbie-friendly is RQ6 for people who don't know Glorantha that well? Where have you struck the balance between introducing the setting in broad strokes for new players versus giving detail for experienced players of earlier editions?
RQ6 isn't using Glorantha as its default setting. We will support it, but the rules are generic, with a slant towards swords and sorcery. This means you won't be force into Gloranthanisms from the outset and can, if you wish, introduce it when you're ready.
Also, although I know Glorantha better than my players do, my own knowledge is limited to what's in the old Chaosium RQ2 Cults of Prax & Cults of Terror, and the Avalon Hill RQ3 boxed Glorantha sets (Gods of Glorantha, Genertela: Crucible of the Hero Wars, Gloranthan Bestiary). How compatible will my old books be with RQ6?
I'd say about 90%. The beauty of the d100 system is the ease of integration. All the stat-blocks are very similar, spells from the old edition just about unchanged, and the background fluff is still highly relevant. You may want to do a little conversion work, but its not that difficult and can be largely done on the fly.
The Design Mechanism
Publishers of Mythras

Loz
Goblin

Post by Loz » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:07 pm

Palladine wrote:Hi Lwrence!

It is very nice to meet you. Recently I visited tour website and forum. So much I did liked it, I've bookmarked it.

Nice to see RuneQuest doing well. While for much of mu rpg-life I've been playing D&D, worked with Warhammer, it was RuneQuest that introduced me to RolePlaying Games. It holds a very special place in my heart.

Keeping fingers crossed and awaitin impatietly for any ners.

Best regards
Marcin
Thank you for the warm welcome! I'm glad you're still carrying a torch for RQ.
The Design Mechanism
Publishers of Mythras

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:35 pm

More news on RQ6. Looks like we'll be seeing some innovative new ideas for the Magic system among other things:

http://akraticwizardry.blogspot.com/201 ... -news.html

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:53 pm

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun May 27, 2012 1:14 pm

2 previews for RuneQuest 6 are up:

http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/runequest.php

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:05 am

PDF is now available from RPGNow and at a much more reasonable price than originally announced:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/103566/Ru ... =FrontPage

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [BRP] RuneQuest 6

Post by Havard » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:37 pm

Now that this game is out, has anyone had a chance to check it out? I've been hearing great things about it and the cover looks sweet. However, I have yet to pick up a copy. Probably will do so fairly soon though...

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”