TSR Games and Gygax Magazine

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

TSR Games and Gygax Magazine

Post by Big Mac » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:15 pm

Has anyone noticed the TSR Games website yet? It is currently collecting emails to be sent a mailshot when a new magazine, called Gygax Magazine, comes out.

There is also another website called Gygax Magazine, that is also collecting emails.

Morrus from ENWorld seems to have tracked the owner down as someone called, Jayson Elliot, and this seems to be a genuine thing connected to at least one of Gary Gygax's family...and, according to Facebook's Old School Gamers group Tim Kask seems to know something about this!

See also this blog entry, from Gamers & Grognards.

EDIT: The live launch of Gygax Magazine will be was broadcast live from The Brooklyn Strategist in New York, at 2pm EST* on Saturday 26th Jan 2013. You can could watch and chat from the Gygax Magazine website (above). See this post for more details.

* = EST is GMT-5, so this should be 7pm GMT

EDIT2: You can see a recording of the live broadcast from the Gygax Magazine website (link above) or via the Gygax Magazine launch party page on Spreecast.

EDIT3: There have been some issues with international shipping rates and Jim Wampler has announced that anyone outside the US can reserve a copy of the first issue now and then pay for it after the shipping rates are finialised. See this post for details of the "International Hold" option.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: TSR Games and Gygax Magazine

Post by Knightfall » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Here's a followup blog entry on Gamers & Grognards...

TSR & Gygax Magazine Update from Tim Kask
Via Facebook:
Tim Kask Here's a snippet from our ad prospectus.....
so now you all the official word there is at this time.

Gygax is a gaming magazine for new and old
players alike.

We are looking forward to the games of tomorrow
and today, while preserving the traditions and history
that got us where we are now.

Our articles and features cover current independent
and major publisher games such as Pathfinder,
Savage Worlds, The One Ring, Shadowrun,
Godlike, Labyrinth Lord, Marvel Heroic Roleplaying,
Warhammer 40k Roleplay, Traveller, and others,
as well as classic out-of-print games with a modern
following, like AD&D, Top Secret, and Gamma
World.

Our features include comics by Phil Foglio (What’s
New With Phil and Dixie), Jim Wampler (Marvin
the Mage), and Rich Burlew (Order of the Stick).
Contributors include Jim Ward, Cory Doctorow,
James Carpio, Ethan Gilsdorf, Dennis Sustare, and
many more.

Publishing quarterly in print as well as PDF and iPad
editions, we hope each issue of Gygax will be an
anticipated and treasured addition to any gamer’s
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Thanks Robert. It is good to get confirmation that Tim Kask is on this project.

There are reports that two of Gary Gygax's sons are involved in this (Luke Gygax, Ernest Gary Gygax Jr.) but I'm not sure if that has been confirmed yet.

Would anyone finding anything please post citations, so we can try to separate the speculation from the truth.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Big Mac wrote:Thanks Robert. It is good to get confirmation that Tim Kask is on this project.

There are reports that two of Gary Gygax's sons are involved in this (Luke Gygax, Ernest Gary Gygax Jr.) but I'm not sure if that has been confirmed yet.

Would anyone finding anything please post citations, so we can try to separate the speculation from the truth.
I believe Tim confirmed it over on EN World.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Oops.

Actually, it was Jayson

See here.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Knightfall wrote:Oops.

Actually, it was Jayson

See here.
I think a quote of the main bit of news would be appropriate:
bonchon at ENWorld wrote:Hi guys, this is Jayson. I'm the editor for Gygax Magazine.

Gygax Magazine is myself, Ernie Gygax, Luke Gygax, Tim Kask, James Carpio, and Jim Wampler. Our first issue is out in December; since it's not finished yet, we've been pretty quiet about things until it's ready.

Ashtagon
Hierarch

Post by Ashtagon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:49 pm

Hopefully we will get official word from one of the people involved very soon.
Emma Rome, otherwise known as Ashtagon
Overall site admin for The Piazza. My moderator colour is pink!

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:10 am

Looks promising. :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:22 am

From what I understand, WotC let a lot of its old trademarks lapse. Greyhawk was just renewed this year, but Mystara has lapsed. Copyright still applies, of course; you could legally (warning: I am not a lawyer of any kind) publish your own game world and call it Mystara, but it couldn't include copyrighted elements from the old TSR Mystara.

Trademarkia.com confirms that TSR is currently trademarked by Hexagonist Publishing, with Jayson Elliot listed as the contact.

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 am

ripvanwormer wrote:From what I understand, WotC let a lot of its old trademarks lapse. Greyhawk was just renewed this year, but Mystara has lapsed. Copyright still applies, of course; you could legally (warning: I am not a lawyer of any kind) publish your own game world and call it Mystara, but it couldn't include copyrighted elements from the old TSR Mystara.

Trademarkia.com confirms that TSR is currently trademarked by Hexagonist Publishing, with Jayson Elliot listed as the contact.
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

The Mystara trademark has lapsed! Holy moly! :o

TSR Games needs to get on this right away.
Homebrewed Worlds Index

Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Post by Knightfall » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:59 am

Homebrewed Worlds Index

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:02 am

Knightfall wrote:The Mystara trademark has lapsed! Holy moly! :o
Yeah, but all the Mystara content is still copyright Wizards of the Coast. All anyone else could have is the name.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:21 am

Ashtagon wrote:Hopefully we will get official word from one of the people involved very soon.
I've had private confirmation from Tim Kask that this is going to happen.

Also Jayson Elliot confirmed to me that he just signed up to The Piazza, so he might have more to add soon. Although that press-relase pretty much tells you most things you need to know.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:14 am

Tim Kask has posted this on my Facebook timeline (so I figure it is OK to pass it on):
Tim Kask on Facebook wrote:* Gygax Magazine will be released next month, December 2012.
* The magazine will be available in both print and digital formats.
* The name Gygax Magazine refers to Ernie and Luke.
* We registered the TSR trademark in 2011, but we are a new company, and not associated with the original TSR or Wizards of the Coast.
* Gygax magazine will cover a wide variety of RPGs and strategy games, focusing on the games of today while preserving the traditions and history of the industry.
* We'd prefer to talk more about the contents of the first issue when it's available, but we hope people will love it.
One thing I'm left wondering is if Gygax Magazine is going to have a "letters" section and if they are going to allow people to write in before the first edition is published.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:00 am

And someone we should all respect but who has disappointed before* has thrown a spike at the wheels (lets hope it doesn't stick in the spokes).

http://www.enworld.org/forum/news/33202 ... ost6052536
Gail Carpenter Gygax wrote: Please respect my wished to change the caption of this thread to:

Gygax Magazine? {UPDATE -, does not have the support of the "Gygax Family Estate" }

I wish to clear up any confusion I am the proper owner of the use of the name of my late husband, E. Gary Gygax. And furthermore would ask respect from his public and children from his first marriage, who are fully aware I own all rights to the use of his name and likeness, and all intellectual properties.

We have previously informed Jason Elliot of my ownership rights.

I can understand the enthusiasm for this project and will remain neutral in regard to its merits however, not at the expense of the Gary Gygax Estate, which represents his wishes.

* When she took the Castle Zagyg project away from the person who had been working directly with Gary on it for years before Gary's death and turned it over to others who have since done nothing with it. See Tri-G (Gary Gygax Games)
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:01 am

http://www.enworld.org/forum/6052674-post83.html
"At this time Gail is not a part of Gygax Magazine. Personally, I hope that she decides to come on board in the future. All the posts from Gygax Magazine staff I've seen were clear that this project is something Ernie and I are involved in as part of a larger team including Tim Kask, Jayson Elliott, James Carpio and Jim Wampler.

Gygax Magazine is supported by the Gygax family members who are actually gamers. Ernie (aka Ernest Gary Gygax Jr.) was the first person to playtest D&D, played numerous iconic characters in Greyhawk and worked for TSR through the 1980's. I cut my teeth on gaming and feel passionate about the positive aspects that gaming brings to people's lives. Gygax Magazine is a way for us to share our love of gaming both Old School and current systems with the gaming community. We are focused on producing a quality magazine and we hope that you will take the time to read the first issue in December.

Luke Gygax"
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:05 am

ExTSR wrote:Ernest Gary Gygax (II or Jr or whatever) is a participant in this matter, and was once my boss.

Don't handwave Ernie. As the elder Gygax, I would think he has every right to use his name.

F

Blacky the Blackball
White Dragon

Post by Blacky the Blackball » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:58 am

Well, Thanksgiving dinner in the Gygax household tonight is certainly going to be interesting...
Check out Gurbintroll Games for my free RPGs (including Dark Dungeons and FASERIP)!

(I'm a moderator for "The Orc's Revenge" and its sub-forums. If I need to post anything officially as a mod, rather than just as a user, I'll post it in green.)

kaskoid
Goblin

Post by kaskoid » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:19 pm

Hello, David. Long time no see (since April at The Boot).

I understand that some of you may have some questions...

Baron
Ogre

Post by Baron » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:37 pm

The magazine sounds like a great idea, looking forward to seeing it. I miss the old days where magazines covered lots of different games, unlike the 'house organs' that came later. Nowadays, there's a lot of blogging and so on online that might've been in the columns of a gaming magazine back in the day. So I have questions. How big do you envision the magazine? How much will it cost? And other than the specific writers to be associated with it, how will it differ from what's out there today? Thanks.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:12 pm

kaskoid wrote:Hello, David. Long time no see (since April at The Boot).
Thanks for coming over to the thread, Tim. I had a real blast meeting you at The Boot and am sorry that I've not had much opportunity to talk to you* about Snakeriders of the Aradondo, your Makanda Campaign Setting or your other projects.

* = Or the other people at The Piazza. I must get around to starting a thread or two about how interesting Makanda could be in the Other Worlds forum.

This TSR Games/Gygax Magazine is something that I think is very "poetic". It just seems like something that should have been here already.
kaskoid wrote:I understand that some of you may have some questions...
As someone that started out thinking of D&D as a "big fluffy cloud that rained out cool stuff", I didn't really pay attention the the people behind the game I love until fairly recently. I've got a question about Gary's sons, Ernie and Luke. I know that Gary named a lot of D&D characters, spells and stuff after his children, just like I know that there are tons of other in-jokes hidden in all sorts of D&D products. Is one of them the player behind Melf (and Melf's Acid Arrow)? How about the other son? I know that both had something to do with the evolution of D&D, but I am a bit hazy on the exact details and I'd like to nail down my mental image of the two of them.

One other thing I'd like to know is if Gygax Magazine is planning to have a letters section and if that section will be there from the 1st issue (or is it a preview issue) or if it will be added later on (after you and the others have had a chance to explain what the scope of the magazine is going to be)? If there is going to be a letters section, is TSR Games going to be setting up some sort of contact point, so that people can get questions in?

A third thing I'd like to know is if Gygax Magazine will have any coverage of campaign settings. Campaign settings are my big love and although I love the 3rd Edition rules, I've always been sad that the 3rd Edition Era was a time when what I personally feel is the best part of D&D was really suppressed. I know that D&D's settings are WotC's IP, so there is probably not any way you can write material for any D&D settings, but would you be able to interview the people behind some of D&D's best known (and not so well known) campaign worlds and reveal some of the details behind the creation of those settings?

How about rules. I've seen a few rules systems mentioned, but do you think that Gygax Magazine will be able to give any support to the Dark Dungeons rules?

There has been talk (mostly from other people, rather than you) about Kickstarter. At the moment, I don't believe that you have set a price for individual magazines or subscriptions. Do you think all the numbers will come out in one go, or are you going to start off with a single price for the first issue?

Are we likely to get previews to look at (and to post around the Interwebs)?

Is there going to be any Internet support (web enhancements, downloads of handouts or that sort of thing)?

That is all I can think of at this stage...apart from to wish you and everyone else involved all the best.

EDIT: I did think of one other thing. I know that Jason Elliot just signed up to The Piazza (although he had not had the time to post, last time I looked). Please would you let Ernie Gygax, Luke Gygax, James Carpio, Jim Wampler and anyone else involved in Gygax Magazine know that we would love to see them come over to The Piazza and talk to us about the hobby that we all love.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:48 am

I can answer a couple of those questions, David...

1. Melf was Luke Gygax's character "way beck when".

2. Note my post above, where Frank Mentzer is quoted as saying that Ernest Gary Gygax Jr. (Ernie) was his boss at TSR. This was from the thread on Gygax Magazine in the General Discussion section of Dragonsfoot, which can be found here (link to Frank's post):
http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 8#p1301348

ghendar
Cranky Grognard

Post by ghendar » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:36 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:
ExTSR wrote:Ernest Gary Gygax (II or Jr or whatever) is a participant in this matter, and was once my boss.

Don't handwave Ernie. As the elder Gygax, I would think he has every right to use his name.

F

Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:41 am

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:56 pm

Return to “The Wishing Well”