Weaponeer PRC

A project to support the official Spelljammer conversion to 3rd edition rules.

Moderator: Big Mac

Wordwyrd
Bugbear

Weaponeer PRC

Post by Wordwyrd » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:12 pm

I am seriously considering writing this up, but wanted to get community thoughts as to my take on it before embarking on that voyage. "Weaponeer" is an actual term for the person who constructs a strategic weapon, while "Engineer" is the proper term for an operator. I also see the class as something of an alchemist. Weaponeers would be responsible for adapting the powder mix to each new sphere if bombards and firearms are carried, and additionally would be the person who created "specialized" munitions (I have the image of an oversized tanglefoot bag being hucked at a ship's sails by a jettison right now).

What I am a little uncertain of is exactly what kind of class to make it. My initial thought was to make it advance spellcasting on all levels apart from 1 and 6, but at this point I am also considering giving it it's own progression similar to the suel arcanamach. Either way, I think at least limited spellcasting is needed to support the alchemical aspect of things (I suppose a viable alternative to proper spellcasting would be to make it an "articifer-lite" prestige class, allowing giff to enter unless I am greatly mistaken).
Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another. ~ Plato

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Weaponeer PRC

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:32 am

The prologue of Beyond the Moons uses the term "artillerists" for the crew of ship weapons.

I would be inclined to suggest going with an Artillerist class or PrC and making it something that takes the concept of the Expert NPC class and creates rules for someone who can:
  • Improve ship to ship attack rolls,
  • Increase loading speed and
  • Repair ship weapons
I'm not sure where the spellcasting comes into things. That would make it more like an Arcane Archer. An Arcane Archer for big weapons could be a good thing to make, but it probably would need a different name.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Wordwyrd
Bugbear

Post by Wordwyrd » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:36 pm

Big Mac wrote:The prologue of Beyond the Moons uses the term "artillerists" for the crew of ship weapons.

I would be inclined to suggest going with an Artillerist class or PrC and making it something that takes the concept of the Expert NPC class and creates rules for someone who can:
  • Repair ship weapons
I'm not sure where the spellcasting comes into things. That would make it more like an Arcane Archer. An Arcane Archer for big weapons could be a good thing to make, but it probably would need a different name.
Spellcasting comes into things because alchemy has required some knowledge of casting since the article in dragon magazine, and because I personally adore the smokepowder being slightly magical alchemy.

I fully intend to revisit the concept of both a weaponeer and an artillerist after we have hacked out the 3e ship combat rules a touch more.
Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another. ~ Plato

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:32 am

Wordwyrd wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The prologue of Beyond the Moons uses the term "artillerists" for the crew of ship weapons.

• Repair ship weapons
Spellcasting comes into things because alchemy has required some knowledge of casting since the article in dragon magazine, and because I personally adore the smokepowder being slightly magical alchemy.
Hmm. Well, wildspace alchemy certainly sounds like something that would be very interesting. I even think it could go far beyond the sort of thing that is done on worlds. For example alchemists could create processes that turn foul air into fresh air - then people could buy "air cleaners"* and stick them into their pocket.

* = That needs a better name...and don't say air freshner! :P

I also think that alchemists could make something for detecting foul air envelopes.

I suppose that alchemists could also make "air corrupting weapons" that chemically eat up the good air when they hit.

(But maybe this is a discussion for the main SJ forum, although specific stuff could be done over here.)
Wordwyrd wrote:I fully intend to revisit the concept of both a weaponeer and an artillerist after we have hacked out the 3e ship combat rules a touch more.
Please do. I think, as I already said, that the name "Weaponeer" is a bit misleading (as to me it just sells a 'mundane'** craftsman with great skill at weapon use or weapon engineering). But your concept is a pretty cool one that I would like to see developed.

** = I use 'mundane' in the slang sense here: it means a person with no magical skills.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project”