Dark Sun Reconstruction Project

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Dark Sun Reconstruction Project

Postby zontoxira » Sun May 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Heya fellow Athasians,

I wanted to show you a project I've been working on for the past few months that attempts to adapt the world of Athas to 5th edition rules. I've named this work (for lack of a better name) Dark Sun Reconstruction Project. It is more a set of proposed rules and mechanics than a definite rulebook, a modular project you may call it, to suit various playstyles.

What I hopefully plan to do is, getting the lore, fluff and stuff, and applying it on 5th edition rules. So I'm building classes, backgrounds, mechanics etc. for 5e, based on 2e approaches. It is harder that it looks however, since 2e and 5e utilize different core concepts, one being the asymmetrical vs. balanced powers, another being the different class design. The wizard in 2e started off as some pathetic weakling, only to reach god-like levels with higher-level spells. In contrast, the wizard in 5e was a capable class at all levels, the only difference from the rest of the other classes being in terms of gameplay. Likewise, the Athasian clerics are clearly distinct from the typical clerics of PHB.

A note of worth: While most of my work is based on 2e sources (and especially the Original setting), I've also consulted 3e, 3.5e, 4e, even home-brewed stuff, to better understand the concept behind a given mechanic or how to convert more effectively a feature or power.

Following, is a list of what I've worked on (or still working); there's plenty of stuff to be done, and I'm going at a slow pace so please bear with me:

1. The Bard: Background, Subclass, Class
2. The Gladiator: Background, Subclass, Class
3. Money and Equipment of Athas
4. Races of Athas --- EDIT 03/06
5. Social Ranking (WIP)
6. Athasian Fighter: The Strategist --- EDIT 25/05
7. Other classes (TBA)

These are but proposals in an attempt to reconstruct Dark Sun. Feel free to post your comments, any feedback, or ask for a desert cookie.

---------
You can find a detailed post about my thoughts on the bard class here, and on the gladiator class here. Also, for the races of Athas, I have this post
Last edited by zontoxira on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Orc

Re: Dark Sun Reconstruction Project

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun May 14, 2017 8:24 pm

Maybe this will help you with your project.
Angel R. Tarragon (aka A.R.T.)
Blog / DeviantArt / Facebook / Google+ / Letterboxd / Twitter / YouTube / See More
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby zontoxira » Sun May 14, 2017 9:51 pm

Ah yes, I've seen that. Based on Gabriel's work, which in turn is based on the (un)official 3.5e take, found here. This was one of the unofficial material that I've also consulted, thanks for the mention!
---
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Orc

Postby Tim Baker » Sun May 14, 2017 9:52 pm

You're off to a good start!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Sun May 14, 2017 10:47 pm

Hi Zontoxira. Welcome to The Piazza. You might want to pop into the Introduce yourself here topic, say "hello" to everyone and let them know what stuff (including Dark Sun and 5th Edition) that you like.

It's great that you are doing this. I don't play 5e, so I'm not sure I can give you any feedback, but I hope that it goes well.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby zontoxira » Mon May 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Tim Baker wrote:You're off to a good start!

Thanks mate, trying my best and would appreciate any feedback :mrgreen:

Big Mac wrote:Hi Zontoxira. Welcome to The Piazza.

Heya there, pleased to be here (finally)!
---
---
zontoxira
Orc

Postby Corsair14 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:59 pm

Is there a psionics book or rules set yet for 5th?
Corsair14
Goblin

Postby zontoxira » Tue May 16, 2017 4:06 pm

So far we've only got the Mystic class from Unearthed Arcana.
You can check the second version and third version. IMO, second version resembles more the psionicist of 2e (and I like it more); third version seems more like the psion of 3e.
This is the main reason I'm not touching on psionics yet.
---
---
zontoxira
Orc

Postby Havard » Sun May 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Wow, this looks like a very ambitious project. I love it! :)

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Zeromaru X » Mon May 22, 2017 9:12 pm

Are you going to include stuff from the 4e version of Dark Sun into this project?
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby zontoxira » Tue May 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:Are you going to include stuff from the 4e version of Dark Sun into this project?

Apart from lore and fluff, I can't say I will include much stuff from 4e Dark Sun, perhaps due to the very different game mechanics each edition works on (and because I'm a sucker for 2e things, but hey, don't tell anyone).
That being said, I've incorporated the breakage rules straight from the book, designed the bard as background, mainly inspired by the Athasian Minstrel, and based the Mul and Thri-Kreen on the 4e equivalents (ability scores, traits, skills etc.). I'm sure I have borrowed more stuff than I'm aware of, but not something groundbreaking.
---
---
zontoxira
Orc

Postby Zeromaru X » Wed May 24, 2017 12:34 am

That's good :D I know the rules are different, and the 2e version have the weight of nostalgia, but the 4e did its good stuff as well (like the breakage rules or the non-magical enhancements)
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby zontoxira » Fri May 26, 2017 10:47 am

Heya all, I've added a subclass suited for the athasian fighter; since the 2e equivalent was a class resembling more a commander, I decided to design it accordingly.
The process behind it was simple enough. I first had to scrap all the 2e fighter's abilities. Commanding armies and attracting followers? We need some official Mass Combat rules, I'm afraid. Training others? I believe anyone can do that now. Able to operate war machines? Same thing, and I've always found it weird that fighters had the luxury of knowing how to use siege equipment; I thought the fellas behind catapults, cannons etc. were engineers, or their helpers. You would have fighters under a battering ram, of course, but I don't think it was that difficult to operate. Supervise construction of defenses? Isn't that supposedly an engineer's job? I could see a fighter doubling as an engineer, which actually gives me a small idea of modifying this subclass.
Borrowing from the battlemaster and the bard (again), the strategists gain a number of Tactical dice, a sort of bardic inspiration issued as a command. But instead of using it for themselves, the strategists expend one use and hand a tactical die to each of their allies; they in turn may use the die until the strategist's next turn. I thought that by reversing the abilities of the battlemaster I would achieve a more tactician fighter, one who gives more effort in benefiting their allies than themselves.
You're more than welcome to have a look and share any comments or feedback.
A note: each command description refers to each individual's action, not the strategist's. So when a cleric receives the Bombard command, they add the Tactical die to their damage roll, and the saving throw DC takes their proficiency bonus and Strength or Dexterity modifier into account.
Another note: I suspect the whole text needs better wording. It looks to me kinda obscure at times, and I'd like someone to verify that.
---
---
zontoxira
Orc

Postby zontoxira » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:04 am

This bump is to inform you that I've finally completed my work on the Races of Athas, and thus can proudly present to you. I've also included my thoughts and the design process (in the first post). Have a look and give me your.. err, feedback :)
---
---
zontoxira
Orc

Postby Zeromaru X » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:45 pm

They look good. Too bad is in homebrewery.... I'm a Firefox user :/
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby zontoxira » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:31 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:They look good. Too bad is in homebrewery.... I'm a Firefox user :/

I feel you, I'm a Firefox user myself, too. I guess if you just Save as PDF, you can get a viewable document. Or I'll try and upload them to Google Docs.
I only use Chrome when working on Homebrewery.
---
---
zontoxira
Orc

Return to Dark Sun