Ashes of Athas now available for home play

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Ashes of Athas now available for home play

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:17 pm

There's good news - and bad news - and more good news.

First the good news: Over at The Burnt World of Athas, I saw that Ashes of Athas, which Baudman Games was running at conventions, is now going to be available for home play!

Here is what Flip said over at The Burnt World of Athas:

Flip at The Burnt World of Athas wrote:Wizards of the Coast has allowed Baldman Games to distribute their Ashes of Athas convention games to the non-convention crowd. You'll be able to sign up to receive the chapters over at Baldman's site.

Some important information from their announcements page:

Baldman Games wrote:No one (not even us) can host the adventure files anywhere.
Only the admins and Baldman Games can provide adventures.
When you e-mail us (or send us a message via these forums), we will send you adventures, one chapter at a time.
When contacting us, please include your e-mail so we can send you the files and the chapter(s) you need.
You can run those adventures, or if you are a convention organizer, you can provide them to your DMs for use at the convention.
You cannot otherwise redistribute or share or post the files anywhere. If you do, this will likely result in Ashes of Athas distribution being closed down!
Adventures you received from us can be run anywhere you please (home play, stores, conventions, desert caravans...). You can run them multiple times - whenever you please.
When you request adventures we will provide a link to pregens, maps, and campaign rules.

I suspect that, by having everyone request directly from the source, Wizards is looking to easily gauge the interest in the game; this is a good thing.

Now the bad news: The Baldman Games forums are down. I get a 404 error on the URL for the thread on the Baldman Games forum that Flip links to. And if I go to the main page of the forum, I get a 403 error. I checked the main Baldman Games page, in case the forum had been moved, but the link from there is the same.

Now the good news: I went to the Facebook page for Baldman Games and someone asked about the forum and how to get Ashes of Athas over there. And Baldman Games posted how to get the game:

Baldman Games on Facebook wrote:Site migrated since announcement. Use contact form in website or twitter at @alphastream to get ball rolling. Thanks

Now I don't see a "contact us" page, but there is a contact form on the About Us page.

(They also have a Ashes of Athas page, but that does not seem to be working at the moment.)

I would love to get in touch with Flip, so he can update the information at The Burnt World of Athas. but I can't find any contact details over there and Arena seems to have vanished. If anyone is in touch with Flip, or any other staff at The Burnt World of Athas, please pass this information on.

I hope you enjoy the game. But please remember the most important thing that Baldman Games said:
Baldman Games wrote:You cannot otherwise redistribute or share or post the files anywhere. If you do, this will likely result in Ashes of Athas distribution being closed down!

Make sure anyone you refer to Baldman Games knows this, as it may only take one person acting like a numpty to spoil the fun for everyone else.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Ashes of Athas now available for home play

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Big Mac wrote:First the good news: Over at The Burnt World of Athas, I saw that Ashes of Athas, which Baudman Games was running at conventions, is now going to be available for home play!

Ashes of Athas is now being hosted by Alphastream:
Alphastream wrote:The campaign concluded in January of 2013, but you can order the adventures by sending a request through the contact form. Your e-mail address must be one which can receive up to 20 MB. Adventures are sent out once I get several requests, distributed in e-mails sent over several days.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Zeromaru X » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:16 pm

I was searching for this adventure path (because people said was good). Thanks :D
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby zontoxira » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:07 am

Arena seems alive and kicking.
Do we have any reviews on this campaign?
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Gnoll

Postby apotheot » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:58 am

zontoxira wrote:Arena seems alive and kicking.
Do we have any reviews on this campaign?

I just finished home play of the entire campaign this week. Over the course of the 23 sessions, boasting 12 different players at various times, It had a fairly high body count throughout the game too, and a few characters did some things that will likely have some consequences for my normal DS home game. It was fairly well received. All my players have an extreme aversion to 4e, so it was all retro converted to 2e....mostly done simply by using the 2e equivalents though there were some things I had to make some strange calls on (dray being used in the first adventure, or the city of eladrin for example). The biggest complaint they had of the campaign is a remnant of 4e mentality: at the end of the campaign there is no written story resolution after the final conflict. A paragraph or so explaining what happens to the main npc if she survives would have been useful. Overall, the adventures are hit or miss, but the overarching story is very salvageable and exportable. Hope you have fun with it.
-Apotheot.
apotheot
Ogre

Postby zontoxira » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks apotheot, I've already mailed them and asked for a copy. It's been 2 weeks now, though, and I haven't received any reply.
Oh, and I plan on converting it to either 2e or 5e.
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo
zontoxira
Gnoll

Return to Dark Sun