WotC to Release Dark Sun 5E?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

WotC to Release Dark Sun 5E?

Post by Havard » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:53 pm

I've been hearing rumours. Anyone know more?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Re: WotC to Release Dark Sun 5E?

Post by RobJN » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Mearls has said "when" they release it, it'll be 5e's psionics package, but as of the GaryCon '18 panel, "no definite product announcements."
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:33 pm

RobJN wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:31 pm
Mearls has said "when" they release it, it'll be 5e's psionics package
:facepalm:

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:05 pm

I guess we'll see something akin to Elemental Evil Player's Companion, in that it will be freely available as a companion to an adventure?
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:00 pm

I also heard rumors about Mystara. I think people have gone crazy,WotC team is testing which topic is hot enough. :facepalm:

If they say "everything can be put into FR", I will not say that they are wrong, but......I just think it's weird, and it made me bored with FR.If they carry Greyhawk Ruins to FR, then I will try to murder them. :facepalm:

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:16 pm

sam wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:00 pm
I also heard rumors about Mystara. I think people have gone crazy,WotC team is testing which topic is hot enough. :facepalm:

If they say "everything can be put into FR", I will not say that they are wrong, but......I just think it's weird, and it made me bored with FR.If they carry Greyhawk Ruins to FR, then I will try to murder them. :facepalm:
In very short order I've heard rumors of Spelljammer, Mystara, and Dark Sun all coming back "soon". Unless WotC does some serious ramp-up of their staff, that doesn't really sound plausible (unless they're talking about opening up the DMGuild to those settings). Their release schedule is what, 1-2 sourcebooks & an adventure per year? I don't see them going down the path of flooding the market with new product.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:27 pm

night_druid wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:16 pm
In very short order I've heard rumors of Spelljammer, Mystara, and Dark Sun all coming back "soon".
I have also heard from various sources Eberron, Dragonlance, and Planescape. Nothing is confirmed until it is confirmed.
-Apotheot.

sam
Gnoll

Post by sam » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:29 am

night_druid wrote:
In very short order I've heard rumors of Spelljammer, Mystara, and Dark Sun all coming back "soon". Unless WotC does some serious ramp-up of their staff, that doesn't really sound plausible (unless they're talking about opening up the DMGuild to those settings). Their release schedule is what, 1-2 sourcebooks & an adventure per year? I don't see them going down the path of flooding the market with new product.
I don’t want this become a joke,just like Half-Life 3 coming back soon.WotC can run D&D for many years in its current mode,they attract a lot of people through live streaming, many people only play 5E.From now until 2030, they can always "remake the classics" according to the current model.Most members of their target market will not think that there is a problem;I just don't like this,I want to see something more fresh.Tome of Foes let me see a little hope, don't push me down the abyss. :(

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:28 am

night_druid wrote:
Indeed. It would make sense for them to do Dark Sun together with psionics (i.e., a psionics expansion featuring a bit of Dark Sun context, and an adventure set in Dark Sun). However, it seems a risky proposition, as psionics in all past editions were not universally liked, and in 5e WotC is focusing, as you say, on fewer sourcebooks and adventures, which are supposed to appeal to the vast majority of people -- while they did one Ravenloft adventure, most others have been quite generic and focused on Forgotten Realms.

GP

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:19 pm

Ravenloft is a demiplane which touches all worlds, so it makes sense enough to go off and visit that. Planescape and Spelljammer both work the same way. But Athas is a completely distinct world with no obvious way of getting from or to Toril, so putting out Dark Sun would pretty much amount to saying "you should stop playing the Forgotten Realms characters you've loved for years, and start a new campaign in Dark Sun." I hope they have a plan to get around this (eg the Phaerimms conspire with the Sorcerer-Kings to open a permanent Gate between the two planets).

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:53 am

SORCERER KINGS INVADE THE REALMS TO TAKE THEIR TREES AND WATER!
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | G+ | twitter

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:06 am

Don't give them ideas...

zontoxira
Planewalker

Post by zontoxira » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:48 pm

As I mentioned earlier, it is unlikely that Wizards will attempt to split groups with different settings. Since they're catering mostly for new players, they will probably present a book on how to set up games based on the old D&D worlds. Maybe we'll see rules for psionics in the Dark Sun section of said book, the artificer in the Eberron section etc.
RobJN wrote:SORCERER KINGS INVADE THE REALMS TO TAKE THEIR TREES AND WATER!
What if a portal in the scorching wastelands of Anauroch opens to some place in the Tyr Region, and the heroes are called to fend off a raiding sorcerer-king? You get exotic adventures in the desert, fighting against first and then for the bedouin nomads, exploring ancient ruins of ancient empires, and transporting to another exotic, albeit with special magic/psionic rules, locale for the final showdown!
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:53 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:06 am
Don't give them ideas...
FR/DS crossovers have existed for as long as DS has existed. If anyone was going to do a crossover product, it would have been TSR.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:52 pm

night_druid wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:53 pm
Zeromaru X wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:06 am
Don't give them ideas...
FR/DS crossovers have existed for as long as DS has existed. If anyone was going to do a crossover product, it would have been TSR.
Quoted for truth ! :D :lol:
Currently playing : (player in) Cubicle 7 Adventurers in Middle-Earth
Preparing : Coriolis, Smugglers of the Horizon campaign / Rise of the Kinori, a Modern AGE campaign
Reading : Modern AGE

DMSamuel
Orc

Post by DMSamuel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:41 pm

The recent release of an Eberron setting 'playtest-style' book on the DM Guild might have implications for how WotC is going to release other popular settings.

I think Dark Sun is probably the next setting they would give this sort of treatment to - it is different enough from both the Forgotten Realms and Eberron that it could be a viable exploration...

Agree? Disagree? Happy? Upset?
-- DMSamuel --

RPGMusings.com

@DMSamuel

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:30 pm

DMSamuel wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:41 pm
The recent release of an Eberron setting 'playtest-style' book on the DM Guild might have implications for how WotC is going to release other popular settings.

I think Dark Sun is probably the next setting they would give this sort of treatment to - it is different enough from both the Forgotten Realms and Eberron that it could be a viable exploration...

Agree? Disagree? Happy? Upset?
I hope that Eberron is a success and that other settings will follow down a similar pipeline but given that the Eberron project was initiated by the setting’s creator not WOTC this may not happen. We have been discussing the implications here viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20127
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

DMSamuel
Orc

Post by DMSamuel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:00 pm

I hadn't realized that Keith Baker was doing a Patreon to develop Eberron stuff. Interesting.

Thanks for the pointer - I've jumped into that conversation.
-- DMSamuel --

RPGMusings.com

@DMSamuel

Return to “Dark Sun”