Raiding Dark Sun?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Raiding Dark Sun?

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri May 24, 2019 12:01 pm

I am curious how many people have used information about the Dark Sun campaign setting for raiding ideas, elements, geography, npcs and other bits for homebrew games not located on Athas. I'd love to know how you used the information and adapted it to your own world.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Seethyr
Couatl

Re: Raiding Dark Sun?

Post by Seethyr » Fri May 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:01 pm
I am curious how many people have used information about the Dark Sun campaign setting for raiding ideas, elements, geography, npcs and other bits for homebrew games not located on Athas. I'd love to know how you used the information and adapted it to your own world.
Thri-kreen of Athas has been my ultimate source for everything kreen. I don’t think I’ve ever found a guidebook that has so thoroughly delved into a single creature/potential character race as that product.

Also, anytime my players end up in a desert or wasteland setting I always try to find an obscure creature or two from the old DS compendiums to throw at them. DS monsters seem to exist nowhere else and they are always a surprise to my players whom otherwise have some pretty extensive monster knowledge.
Last edited by Seethyr on Sat May 25, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Fri May 24, 2019 1:19 pm

It would be possible to raid Road to Urik as a supplement to X4 / X10 in Mystara. Both deal with an invading army (Urik vs Tyr, Hule vs Darokin) in a desertic setting (the Great Waste in Mystara).

GP

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri May 24, 2019 6:00 pm

When I played a campaign in the former lands of Arkhosia (one of the regions of the Nentir Vale world), I raided all the desert environments and monsters from the 4e Dark Sun material.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Fri May 24, 2019 8:51 pm

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:01 pm
Halflings.

Don't ask what's in the "Visitor Stew." :shock:
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri May 24, 2019 11:08 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:14 pm
Thri-kreen of Athas has been my ultimate source for everything kreen. I don’t think I’ve ever found a guidebook that has so thoroughly delved isn’t a single creature/potential character race as that product.

Also, anytime my players end up in a desert or wasteland setting I always try to find an obscure creature or two from the old DS compendiums to throw at them. DS monsters seem to exist nowhere else and they are always a surprise to my players whom otherwise have some pretty extensive monster knowledge.
Is the name of the creature product identity? How hard would it be to file-off the serial number and re-create it for Pathfinder 1E/2E? I have an obsession with insectfolk, to the point of wanting to create a new creature Type of creature for rangers to select as favored enemy; Insectoid.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Sat May 25, 2019 1:02 am

Angel Tarragon wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 11:08 pm
Seethyr wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 12:14 pm
Thri-kreen of Athas has been my ultimate source for everything kreen. I don’t think I’ve ever found a guidebook that has so thoroughly delved isn’t a single creature/potential character race as that product.

Is the name of the creature product identity? How hard would it be to file-off the serial number and re-create it for Pathfinder 1E/2E? I have an obsession with insectfolk, to the point of wanting to create a new creature Type of creature for rangers to select as favored enemy; Insectoid.
There is truly some lovely insight into their psychology, culture - they even have a pronunciation guide on how to speak the thri-kreen tongue (with glottal stops and all - yeah I had to google what one was).

I’m not sure on product identity, but “mantis-folk” could make a perfect substitute.

If you’re really interested in insects at the moment, I’ll send you something in a little bit. It might be of use to you.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat May 25, 2019 1:59 am

Seethyr wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:02 am
If you’re really interested in insects at the moment, I’ll send you something in a little bit. It might be of use to you.
:mrgreen: I really am.

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Cromstar
Gnoll

Post by Cromstar » Sat May 25, 2019 3:45 am

Thri-Kreen of Athas is definitely the greatest gold mine for other settings I've ever found in a 'focused' world-specific accessory. I've noted it to plunder for multiple locations on my world; basically anywhere I want more civilized thri-kreen than the more basic version from the normal MM.

I also steal anything psionics-related in the Dark Sun books for use almost everywhere else I let psionics exist (b/c I'm a big psionics fan and Dark Sun adds some very nice kits, proficiencies, game mechanics, and new devotions/sciences that aren't that strongly tied to Athas).

If you ever have a civilization that uses formalized arena combat, the Complete Gladiator's Book is a gold-mine. To the point that I honestly think you could use it to run a game set in the RL Roman Colosseum.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Mon May 27, 2019 7:48 am

I think that the most raid-able elements of Dark Sun are Psyonics and the mechanics for dual casting stiles opposite to each other.
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Mon May 27, 2019 7:56 am

A long long time ago I made a setting agnostic version of the Trader class for AD&D 2e. It was published in a university RPG club fanzine (dead tree only). I wonder if I can find my old files and if any of my current software will even read them.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

thorr-kan
Ogre

Post by thorr-kan » Wed May 29, 2019 2:19 am

I've renamed the bard class from the revised boxed set at courtier, for use with Al-Qadim.

KtA
Orc

Post by KtA » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:56 am

In my current campaign, I have incorporated a bunch of Athasian creatures and concepts (defiling magic, obsidian orbs). This is part of a cross-world invasion from Athas (instigated by Dregoth, who hopes to use the far more abundant life of a non-ruined world for his defiling magic to become a god).

Return to “Dark Sun”