Did Wild Magic ever get imported to Dark Sun?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.
thorr-kan
Ogre

Did Wild Magic ever get imported to Dark Sun?

Post by thorr-kan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Because the image of a defiler wild mage fills me with glee.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Did Wild Magic ever get imported to Dark Sun?

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:29 am

I don't know if the 2nd Dark Sun boxed set did anything with Wild Magic, but it does seem like a good way to have a (sometimes) positive effect from defiling.

You could probably also import Wild Magic Zones and Dead Magic Zones from Forgotten Realms, and create parts of Athas that have been permanently damaged by powerful spellcasting rituals.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Cromstar
Gnoll

Post by Cromstar » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:13 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:29 am
You could probably also import Wild Magic Zones and Dead Magic Zones from Forgotten Realms, and create parts of Athas that have been permanently damaged by powerful spellcasting rituals.
Considering that spell power is already correlated to the amount of local wildlife in a planet known for having very little of it, I feel that Dead Magic Zones are pretty much already covered in a way.

On the topic of the OP, Defilers & Preservers says they deliberately left out wild magic and wild magic spells from Athas. I couldn't find any other references to wild magic in that book, in the revised campaign setting, or the handful of other smaller products I checked.

Pre-post Edit: So, I just randomly opened up Dragon Kings to check in there and the following is stated:
Dragon Kings wrote:Wild mages: These are perfectly acceptable in DARK SUN™ campaigns. The rules for them presented in the Tome of Magic apply on Athas. A wild magician must be either a defiler or preserver, like any mage.
That said, I would note that a wild mage probably has a harder time hiding their mage-liness, which isn't really a good thing in a world where mages are pretty much universally hated.

Lord Torath
Thri-Kreen Starfarer

Post by Lord Torath » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:02 am

I remember reading that both preservers and defilers could be wild mages, but I don't recall where it was.

Just found it:
Dragon Kings p45 wrote:Wild mages: These are perfectly acceptable in DARK SUN campaigns. The rules for them presented in the Tome of Magic apply on Athas. A wild magician must be either a defiler or preserver, like any mage.
Ninja'd. By like, 10 hours. :oops:

Digitalelf
Bugbear

Post by Digitalelf » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:54 am

I've used defilers in Forgotten Realms before.

Well actually, it was only one NPC, and that was over 20 years ago. :|
-That One Digitalelf Fellow-

Return to “Dark Sun”