The Lost World of Athas

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.
Gnoll

The Lost World of Athas

Post by 1970 »

I was thinking of running a stripped down version of Dark Sun with Castles and Crusades, but it occurred to me that I could use Amazing Adventures instead and run it as a proto-pulp campaign. The characters would either go through a mystical gate or tamper with a machine or something and end up someplace horrible. It isn't outside of Amazing Adventures' milieu, and if I go easy on the obviously fantastic I think I could pull off something really cool. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
Formless Faceless and Free

Gnoll

Re: The Lost World of Athas

Post by 1970 »

This idea has grown exponentially. I'm already looking to incorporate Call of Cthulhu/Silent Legions, Warriors of the Red Planet, some sci-fi stuff (I have some Mutant Crawl Classics adventures I'd like to look through), and perhaps Peril on the Purple Planet for Dungeon Crawl Classics. Since this isn't really a purely Dark Sun idea anymore, I'll create a new topic under the Homebrew Worlds sub and link to it in this thread.

The basic idea, right now, is to have a couple of characters (right now I'm leaning toward a Raider and a Soldier) go through some adventure or another from Call of Cthulhu's Secrets of Morocco (Terror Australis would be better, but I don't own it), and have them somehow end up in my desert mash up. They escape by finding an artifact, gate, or magic spell. I'm still using Athas as my core setting, with everything else tacked on.

I'm still interested in what people think. If you want to share, please do!

Gnoll

Post by 1970 »

Offhand, does anyone have any ideas of how hard it would be to port AD&D Psionics to Amazing Adventures/Castles & Crusades? I'd rather leave them out altogether, but I want to option to tack it on. I know AA has a psionic system of its own, but it seems to work just like magic, which for me is kind of a turnoff. Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles »

AD&D Psionics work like skills... but C&C has no skill system, IIRC. So you are left a bit on your own here. On the other hand, the AD&D Psionic system is really a separate subsystem, so you might be able to simply keep it as is.

Gnoll

Post by 1970 »

agathokles wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:18 am
AD&D Psionics work like skills... but C&C has no skill system, IIRC. So you are left a bit on your own here. On the other hand, the AD&D Psionic system is really a separate subsystem, so you might be able to simply keep it as is.
I'll have to dig up my copy of the Psionics Handbook and see what's up. I know there's an optional Feats system in the Castles Keepers Guide that I may be able to use; I'll have to compare the two together. Thanks for your input!

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

1970 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:41 pm
Offhand, does anyone have any ideas of how hard it would be to port AD&D Psionics to Amazing Adventures/Castles & Crusades?
This blog post discusses that topic: https://wastedlandsfantasy.blogspot.com ... anced.html

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

The concept sounds like a fun mashup. Blending different desert-themed settings and adventures should work nicely as long as you give your world come internal continuity (it doesn't have to align with any of the published settings). The fact that it isn't derived from a single setting means it'll be new to your players, too. And I can tell you're excited, which is one of the most important things for a fun campaign!

Gnoll

Post by 1970 »

Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:42 am
1970 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:41 pm
Offhand, does anyone have any ideas of how hard it would be to port AD&D Psionics to Amazing Adventures/Castles & Crusades?
This blog post discusses that topic: https://wastedlandsfantasy.blogspot.com ... anced.html
Thanks! That was interesting. He's right though; if I can I should probably just use the system in Amazing Adventures.
Tim Baker wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:44 am
The concept sounds like a fun mashup. Blending different desert-themed settings and adventures should work nicely as long as you give your world come internal continuity (it doesn't have to align with any of the published settings). The fact that it isn't derived from a single setting means it'll be new to your players, too. And I can tell you're excited, which is one of the most important things for a fun campaign!
I've never run a desert-based campaign before, and I've owned one edition or another of Dark Sun for years and years. I've always wanted to do something Sword and Sorcery/Pulp with some game and this seemed the place and time to try it out. Putting it together is turning out to actually be a lesson in restraint as I skim and drop the more gonzo elements. Well, not completely. I still want some lost technology in there somehow. That's probably where Warriors of the Red Planet comes in instead of the MCC/DCC resources I was going to use. Less is more is really how I should be looking at it. That way I can really focus on the game structure and consistency, like you mentioned. Thanks!

Return to “Dark Sun”