Dark Sun Novels - Any good?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Re: Dark Sun Novels - Any good?

Postby Big Mac » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Alzrius wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Grummore wrote:The worst books I have read are those from Tribe of One. OMG. If you want to feel like you are reading old entries of the DS Monsters Manual 2nd when he does some descriptions and know he's too strong for anything he encounter, go for it, read. It's kind if Simon Hawke never took the time to immerse himself or read a bit about dark sun. He's not subtle and you can feel it in some Star Trek novel he wrote as well.

I remember getting some advice about Greyhawk novels to not read, when I was looking for the ones that I did want to read. :)

So is it just the combat encounters that are a bit dodgy in Tribe of One? Are the non-combat sections any better?

Cthulhudrew seemed to like the books, so I'd be interested in where you see the problem to be.

I agree with Grummore in that I didn't care very much for the Tribe of One novels. To me, the issue was one of characterization.

Simply put, the main character of the Tribe of One novels feels dangerously close to being a Mary Sue (to use a somewhat loaded term). That is, he seems to be largely aloof from both the dangers of Athas and from the morally gray areas that (are supposed to) come from living in such a dangerous world. It's constantly emphasized that he has, for all intents and purposes, a "super power" that can do whatever needs to be done to pull him out of almost any sort of danger. As Athas is supposed to be a place where even basic survival is called into question, particularly outside of the city-states, this really served to de-emphasize what I felt were the more interesting parts of the what it means to being an "adventurer" on Athas.

This was especially true with regards to the main character's moral dimension. The nature of living in such a harsh world is that it requires harsh choices - do you die for your principles, or compromise them in order to survive? In the Prism Pentad, Sadira faced this more than once with the issue of using defiling magic, which is part of what I liked about her character. By contrast, the main character of the Tribe of One was not only morally-superior to everyone around him, but was blithely so; he could afford to be that way due to his overwhelming personal power. A character that already exists on a plane of moral perfection is one that I have a hard time empathizing with; at the very least, it makes any angst the character does feel with regards to an issue feel largely contrived.

I see what you mean. Thanks for that.

Alzrius wrote:Oh, and the characters actually play a table-top role-playing game in the third book. I suspect that this was largely meant to be amusingly self-referential, but it came across as cheesy.

Ug. That seems cheesy to me.

BTW: Are you the same person who has a kitten avatar at EN World? :? :)

Grummore wrote:Sorry Big Mac if I haven't introduced myself :-)

Hi!

No problem. I'm just trying to say "hello" to everyone as they arrive. It is easy to miss someone. (I probably say "hi" to someone else two times. :roll: :lol: )
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Alzrius » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:55 pm

Big Mac wrote:BTW: Are you the same person who has a kitten avatar at EN World? :? :)

That's me(ow)!
Alzrius
Bugbear

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:43 pm

Alzrius wrote:
Big Mac wrote:BTW: Are you the same person who has a kitten avatar at EN World? :? :)

That's me(ow)!

LOL! I always smile when I see that. Why don't you put your avatar up here too? :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Previous

Return to Dark Sun