What happened to arena.athas.org?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

What happened to arena.athas.org?

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:49 pm

Does anyone know what happened to the Arena forum hosted by The Burnt World of Athas?

It used to be hosted on a subdomain with the URL arena.athas.org. I don't see a link to the forum now. And if I go to the URL manually, I see this error:

arena.athas.org wrote:It works!

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

Does anyone know if the forum has been moved somewhere else (or if it is down for maintenance)?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: What happened to arena.athas.org?

Postby Big Mac » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:07 am

I got an answer to this at the Dark Sun group on Facebook.

There was a Closing the arena announcement 9 months back:

Closing the arena

Posted by flip 9 months ago

After talking with some of the other staff at athas.org, I've decided to close the arena.

The code for the arena is based on a dead forum project; even when it was alive, the hacks that I made to enable single signon made things very difficult to keep up to date. Because of this, it's become a drain on server resources, and has actually made it more difficult to keep other aspects of the site up to date.

Considering that the traffic on the arena numbers in the single digit posts-per-month range, I think it's best put into mothballs.

While I'm going to be removing the site soon, I will be saving the database; if there's a demand for it, I'll see about setting up a read-only archive of the site.

Once the arena is removed, I'll be undertaking some infrastructure modernization efforts -- Some visible, some behind the scenes. I'll talk more about that later.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Sock Puppet » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:58 am

Do we know what happened to the athas.org community? That was one of three (d20 modern db was the 3rd) groups to form in the aftermath of gleemax. It would be good if we can save that community from falling apart.
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.
Sock Puppet
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:30 am

Sock Puppet wrote:Do we know what happened to the athas.org community? That was one of three (d20 modern db was the 3rd) groups to form in the aftermath of gleemax. It would be good if we can save that community from falling apart.

I can't even see a page on Athas.org that contains links to Dark Sun websites, otherwise I would suggest asking them to add the Dark Sun forum at The Piazza.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Havard » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:46 am

Perhaps those interested in DS from athas.org will at least drop by the DS forum at wizards.com every once in a while. Might be worth dropping a message there about this place? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:04 am

Havard wrote:Perhaps those interested in DS from athas.org will at least drop by the DS forum at wizards.com every once in a while. Might be worth dropping a message there about this place? :)

Big problem is that it is hard to work out who is who. :?

But I think I just spotted one of the Athas.org staff on Facebook. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Raddu » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Hi! I saw your post on the Facebook group. I've browsed the Piazza for a few years, but never participated. I'll try and keep an eye on it.
Founder of Image
@Raddu76
Raddu
Goblin

Postby night_druid » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:51 pm

Raddu wrote:Hi! I saw your post on the Facebook group. I've browsed the Piazza for a few years, but never participated. I'll try and keep an eye on it.

Before you know it, you'll be hooked...;)

Welcome to the Piazza! :D
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Havard » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Raddu wrote:Hi! I saw your post on the Facebook group. I've browsed the Piazza for a few years, but never participated. I'll try and keep an eye on it.

Hi there Raddu! Welcome to The Piazza!

You may be able to answer a question I have. Although there are quite a few DS fans and quite alot of DS discussion threads here on The Piazza, I keep getting the feeling that the real hard core DS community is hiding somewhere else. Is there a secret DS fan hideout that the rest of us don't know about?

It would be great to see more interraction between Piazza DS fans and the overall DS community. :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:47 pm

Thanks for coming over Raddu!

I like your signature. A lot of people seem to forget that your website is called "The Burnt World of Athas".

That small square picture looks a bit odd there. I think it would look tons better if you made it your forum avatar instead. If you agree you can put it there by going to:
User Control Panel > Profile > Edit avatar

night_druid wrote:Before you know it, you'll be hooked...;)

Welcome to the Piazza! :D

There is that. I got a random PM from Havard about The Piazza and got hooked. :)

But I think it goes both ways. If we have a few more Dark Sun experts here, they can give good advice about what fanon sources on The Burnt World of Athas might help answer someone's question. So maybe The Piazza can get people hooked on Athas.org too. :)

@Raddu: Have you considered having a Facebook page (not a group, like the Dark Sun group) where fans can let people know they "Like" The Burnt World of Athas? That might be a way to help push out the most important news about your website. And fans could share that news and also suggest other Dark Sun fans "Like" the page.

One other thing. Are you aware that arena.athas.org has this on it?:

arena.athas.org wrote:It works!

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

Perhaps you could edit that page, to let people know that the Arena is now closed and point them at other places to discuss Dark Sun (and The Burnt World of Athas) including the Dark Sun forum here, the group on Facebook and the Dark Sun forum at WotC (along with any others you know of).

Alternatively, if you think it might be nice to have something interactive, The Piazza actually has an ATOM feed specifically for the Dark Sun forum that you could use to put the threads here onto the page:
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/feed.php?f=5
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Raddu » Tue May 06, 2014 4:37 pm

Thanks, I'll look into the avatar stuff.

Unfortunately there's not really a huge Dark Sun fan base like there used to be, at least not a a large vocal community. I've reached out on FB, G+, WotC Boards, etc for help with the website and gotten a small response, and those people are helping, but it's not many.
Founder of Image
@Raddu76
Raddu
Goblin

Postby Havard » Tue May 06, 2014 5:54 pm

Raddu wrote:Unfortunately there's not really a huge Dark Sun fan base like there used to be, at least not a a large vocal community.

That's surprising given how Dark Sun was one of the worlds that has actually been supported during the 4E era. Perhaps there is some way to activate the fans out there?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Raddu » Wed May 07, 2014 4:04 am

I was thinking about doing a contest on the site for some type of content creation. I have a bunch of Dark Sun books/minis I could give away. I'll start another thread.
Founder of Image
@Raddu76
Raddu
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:26 am

Raddu wrote:Thanks, I'll look into the avatar stuff.

It looks great!

Raddu wrote:Unfortunately there's not really a huge Dark Sun fan base like there used to be, at least not a a large vocal community. I've reached out on FB, G+, WotC Boards, etc for help with the website and gotten a small response, and those people are helping, but it's not many.

Like Havard, I really am baffled. Dark Sun had good support in the 2e Era and you managed to get enough people behind a 3e conversion to keep the fandom going. The official 4e support should have made Dark Sun a much more popular setting than it was. :?

Raddu wrote:I was thinking about doing a contest on the site for some type of content creation. I have a bunch of Dark Sun books/minis I could give away. I'll start another thread.

Ack. I missed this. :oops:

The Piazza has been supporting people who have set up fanzines for Mystara (Threshold Magazine) and Spelljammer (Wildspace: The Spelljammer Fanzine) and would of course, also want to see The Burnt World of Athas thrive. If you do come up with a contest or have anything like a new netbook published on your website, please feel free to ping me when you start a thread about it here. If I get the time, I'll try to give the thread a plug over on Facebook, so that we can get the word out to more fans. :)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Dark Sun