Shipfloaters

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Shipfloaters

Postby Big Mac » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:36 pm

I'm in the middle of reading The Obsidian Oracle, and I'm really liking the shipfloater stuff. The idea of "dry seas" is something I didn't realise was in the campaign setting and it helps break up the ideas of a waterless planet from one big surface into continents and islands.

Where can I find the roleplaying rules for shipfloaters, the ships they float, the domes they use float the ships and other things that are used onboard ships?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Shipfloaters

Postby Raddu » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:44 pm

There are a few mentions here and there, but the best source is a Dragon Magazine article.

Dragon 237, p23, On a Waterless Sea (January 1997)

Read more: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showwiki.p ... z30HLV6PmS
Founder of Image
@Raddu76
Raddu
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:43 pm

Thanks Raddu.

So does this mean that this is not something covered in one of the boxed sets, rulebooks or adventures?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby XstarkillerX » Thu May 01, 2014 11:57 am

Big Mac wrote:Thanks Raddu.

So does this mean that this is not something covered in one of the boxed sets, rulebooks or adventures?

4e Dark Sun campaign setting has the vehicle descriptions of a couple of sand vessels.
XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Postby Raddu » Tue May 06, 2014 4:35 pm

I'd say the Dragon mag is the best source. There doesn't seem to be to much more, other than as StarKiller said, in the 4e book, there's a bit.
Founder of Image
@Raddu76
Raddu
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:13 am

XstarkillerX wrote:

4e Dark Sun campaign setting has the vehicle descriptions of a couple of sand vessels.

Thanks StarKiller. Are the 4e vessels the same ones from the On a Waterless Sea article? Or are they new types of ships?

Raddu wrote:I'd say the Dragon mag is the best source. There doesn't seem to be to much more, other than as StarKiller said, in the 4e book, there's a bit.

I don't know the 4e product line at all (although I heard it was set in the same era as the 2e product line). Did any of the 4e Dark Sun stuff provide any new information about the Sea of Silt?

How about the 3rd Edition conversions, at The Burnt World of Athas? Is there anything new there?

And has anyone ever designed any new lands (canon or fanon) that shipfloaters could take their ships to?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby XstarkillerX » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:38 am

Seems like I've missed your reply, let's fix that.
I don't know that article so I can't compare; in the 4th setting book there's the description of a small sand ship and of a larger silt skimmer, no mention of the psionic shipfloaters nor of their obsidian orbs.
Regarding the Sea of Silt, nothing particularly new in the 4th ed book, just a couple of adventure hooks IIRC; I'll do a more complete comparison later.
XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Postby The Dark » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:20 pm

It was covered in passing in City by the Silt Sea, but it looks like the Dragon article expands on what was in City - the boxed set doesn't have psionic skimmers, and while it talks about skimmers being fragile, doesn't go into how to damage them.
The Dark
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:02 am

XstarkillerX wrote:I don't know that article so I can't compare; in the 4th setting book there's the description of a small sand ship and of a larger silt skimmer, no mention of the psionic shipfloaters nor of their obsidian orbs.

I'm really wondering how useful that description actually is. What sort of detail does the the 4e Dark Sun Campaign Setting give in the description?

I'm wonder if 4e Dark Sun rebooted shipfloaters into something else. Does the book actually describe any sort of process (from a crunchy point of view or a fluffy point of view) for the ships to be moved? Or does it really only namecheck the ship and leave the GM with no way to deal with them (other than to handwave them)?

Does the 4e book do anything else useful (like provide deckplans or measurements or pictures of the two ships)?

I know that WotC was not keen on free Web Enhancements during 4e. Is there any DDI content for shipfloating?

XstarkillerX wrote:Regarding the Sea of Silt, nothing particularly new in the 4th ed book, just a couple of adventure hooks IIRC; I'll do a more complete comparison later.

Now is the time to look for 4e rulebooks being dumped at low prices, so I would be interested in what new fluffy stuff is in the books.

Havard created a thread a while back called Dark Sun 4E verdict? where he was asking about the non-crunchy parts. Perhaps you could bump that thread.

The Dark wrote:

It was covered in passing in City by the Silt Sea, but it looks like the Dragon article expands on what was in City - the boxed set doesn't have psionic skimmers, and while it talks about skimmers being fragile, doesn't go into how to damage them.

Thanks The Dark.

I wonder if seafaring rules or maybe spelljammer rules could be raided for shipfloaters. :?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby The Dark » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Big Mac wrote:
The Dark wrote:
Big Mac wrote:So does this mean that this is not something covered in one of the boxed sets, rulebooks or adventures?

Thanks The Dark.

I wonder if seafaring rules or maybe spelljammer rules could be raided for shipfloaters. :?
Hmm. I'm thinking Of Ships and the Sea would be the best 2e resource to use. Use the Rowing rules for psionics, with something like 1 PSP for each hour of normal travel and 1 PSP for each turn (or round, if one wants shorter high-speed chases) of fast movement, with a shipfloater whose psion has run out of PSPs traveling at 1/3 speed like exhausted rowers. The base stats for ships could be used for different classes of silt skimmer (so a "caravel" type silt skimmer only has sails, while a "pentekonter" type skimmer can function with sails or as a shipfloater).
The Dark
Troll

Return to Dark Sun