[2E] How much did Dark Sun modify AD&D 2nd Ed?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

[2E] How much did Dark Sun modify AD&D 2nd Ed?

Postby Havard » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:07 am

One of the things that caught my attention with Dark Sun when it first came out were the rules additions that modified 2nd Ed. In how many aspects were the rules modified for the setting back then?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: [2E] How much did Dark Sun modify AD&D 2nd Ed?

Postby agathokles » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:49 am

Mainly:
  • Character stats are handled differently (basically DS characters have higher stats, ranging in 5-20 rather than 3-18)
  • Characters start from level 3 rather than 1
  • Clerics and Druids are elemental-based, with different powers, restrictions and spell lists
  • There are no Paladins; Bards are non-magical assassins; there are additional classes (Gladiator, Trader, Templar)
  • There are additional rules for weapon materials and weather-related rules that prevent the use of heavy armor in hot climates
  • All character races are similar but not quite the same to the standard races (there are no gnome PCs, though); Half-Giant, Mul and Thri-Kreen are new PC races (later Pterrans are also added)
  • All races have at least one class (Psionicist) with unlimited advancement, and level limits are generally higher than in PHB; multiclassing, especially in the Psionicist class, is easier
  • Each player starts with multiple characters (character tree)
  • There are a number of new proficiencies and special weapons, as well as rules for piecemeal armor
  • All characters are at least marginally psionic (wild talent)
agathokles
Red Dragon

Return to Dark Sun