Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Dark Sun house style changes

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:11 pm

I was just looking at the Dark Sun novel The Rise and Fall of a Dragon King

Here it is in the original house style:

Here it is in the later house style:

I gave up playing D&D before Dark Sun switched to that second house style, but I have to say that I think that the second logo and the second house-style looks really soulless to me. I think it is ugly and amateurish compared to the classic style.

The original logo looks really professional and the second logo looks like it was carved out of a potato. And the new house style takes an attractive painting and turns it into a shadow of what it once was.

Dark Sun Campaign Setting, Expanded and Revised has a slightly better product photo:

But even there, you have a pointless margin eating up a third of the box set cover and I just do not feel any sort of vibe from the branding. ;(

Does anyone know why TSR tossed the original Dark Sun design out of the window? Did they do this with other campaign settings at the same time or was Dark Sun singled out?

I know that the Dark Sun product line got shut down. Does anyone know if this change in design was some sort of attempt to bring in new fans?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Dark Sun house style changes

Postby Raddu » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:36 am

Dark Sun was really popular at the time of the Revised boxed set. It was probably the work of the project coordinator or the graphic design team (of which there were many)
Founder of Image
@Raddu76
Raddu
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks Raddu.

I guess that maybe the new house style was supposed to sell the concept of Dark Sun being revised. Did the campaign setting get a big reboot at that time?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby The Dark » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:26 am

Big Mac wrote:Thanks Raddu.

I guess that maybe the new house style was supposed to sell the concept of Dark Sun being revised. Did the campaign setting get a big reboot at that time?

It was post-Prism Pentad (the five Troy Denning novels). The map was about 8 times bigger, and multiple Big Bads were dead (including, IIRC, Kalak, Abelech-Re, Borys, Andropinis, and Tectuktitlay), which threw various city-states into chaos (both those that had lost dragon kings and those that now had REALLY PARANOID dragon kings).
The Dark
Troll

Return to Dark Sun