New Dark Sun Novel Information?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.
Duke5150
Goblin

New Dark Sun Novel Information?

Post by Duke5150 » Sat May 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Thought I would take the opportunity to ask if any info has been given about the new dark sun novel line that is suppose to come out. Guess this is as good of a topic as any to start the DS section off.

Also what novels would you, as a Darksun fan like to see? What would they be about?

So now we have a question and a discussion topic for this section. Lets see what happens. ;)
Long Live Dragonlance and The Nexus.

Pennarin
Kobold

Re: New Dark Sun Novel Information?

Post by Pennarin » Sun May 25, 2008 10:50 pm

Without knowing what WotC intends to do with a revival of the DS gameline - reboot?, simple conversion to 4E? - speculation as to the new novels' content is currently without foundation.

Nothing wrong with saying what we would like to see, though. /shrug

I would like to see the world as is a few years down the road, not unlike the jump-ahead promised for FR's gameline. New heroes, anti-heroes, and more of the themes we all liked in the novels. A writer of the calliber of Lynn Abbey, who'se litterary skills surpassed Troy Denning by big strides, would be appreciated; although some have reported that Denning is getting better with his latest SW novels, getting more mature.
Templarate member at athas.org

Fourth Champion of Quebec, the French Flamer

Come visit the official 3rd Edition Dark Sun website, The Burnt World of Athas, for free 3.5 rules.

Duke5150
Goblin

Post by Duke5150 » Mon May 26, 2008 2:34 am

Sounds great, Can't wait. Thanks again mate. Late. :lol:
Long Live Dragonlance and The Nexus.

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Dark Sun is one of the only game lines I don't have novels for. Are the Prism Pentad worth a look? I saw them in my local second hand bookshop on my last visit so I'm thinking of picking them up the next time I'm in there.
The Mirage Arcana Podcast Archive has moved. Visit us here.
Keep up-to-date with RPG news at my Scoop.It page.
Kippers and Jam, a blog about roleplaying.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:14 pm

True_Atlantean wrote:Dark Sun is one of the only game lines I don't have novels for. Are the Prism Pentad worth a look? I saw them in my local second hand bookshop on my last visit so I'm thinking of picking them up the next time I'm in there.
Well asking for old Dark Sun novel information in a thread for new Dark Sun novels is technically off topic, but I would like to know too! :D
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:01 pm

True_Atlantean wrote:Dark Sun is one of the only game lines I don't have novels for. Are the Prism Pentad worth a look? I saw them in my local second hand bookshop on my last visit so I'm thinking of picking them up the next time I'm in there.
Wouldn't know, but I've heard they're kinda dark & violent for TSR novels of that era.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:28 am

I can give you my personal take on them. I enjoyed the first two or three books, but I didn't like the direction it went towards the end. It seemed like they ended up changing what made Dark Sun so cool.
- Selman

True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Post by True_Atlantean » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:48 pm

Philosopher wrote:
I can give you my personal take on them. I enjoyed the first two or three books, but I didn't like the direction it went towards the end. It seemed like they ended up changing what made Dark Sun so cool.
So the novels seriously changed the 'look and feel' of the world? It seems strange that some of the few novels that supported the game line made wide-sweeping changes. I'm intrigued now and will probably pick them up just based on my curiousity.
The Mirage Arcana Podcast Archive has moved. Visit us here.
Keep up-to-date with RPG news at my Scoop.It page.
Kippers and Jam, a blog about roleplaying.

Philosopher
Cloud Giant

Post by Philosopher » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:36 pm

True_Atlantean wrote:So the novels seriously changed the 'look and feel' of the world?
Well, the "look" remained the same, but the "feel" changed. In other words, what remained the same was only the superficial elements, not the underlying core. I won't say anymore, as I don't want to spoil the novels for you.

Keep in mind, however, that this is just my own personal take. I'm not hardcore into DarkSun, and I'm not part of the community at athas.org, so take that for what it's worth.
- Selman

Eric Anondson
Ogre

Post by Eric Anondson » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:00 am

True_Atlantean wrote:So the novels seriously changed the 'look and feel' of the world? It seems strange that some of the few novels that supported the game line made wide-sweeping changes. I'm intrigued now and will probably pick them up just based on my curiousity.
Some thread necromancy here.

I'm a longtime Dark Sun fan, I've even interviewed Troy Denning and Tim Brown, the setting co-creators . . . I've also heard Troy give substantial credit to Mary Kirchoff and Brom for the development of the setting. Anyway, I asked Troy about the controversy over the sweeping changes that came from the very first novel line for the setting. Troy responded that it was the Dark Sun development team's idea that PCs should be able to make dramatic changes to a world practically stuck in stasis. The Prism Pentad would show how PCs could do just that. And it did really overturn the apple cart.

With the Prism Pentad out Troy Denning was ripped away by TSR management from Dark Sun development and his novels became canon by those that followed in his boots.

Troy did tell me that he regretted making as many and as dramatic changes as he did, that he got carried away, and if he could have done it over again he wouldn't have gone as far as he did. I'm avoiding details, but I hope telling you that the final battle really offended some Dark Sun fans isn't giving a spoiler.

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:33 pm

aye those novels and the "Official time line and back history" made a total mess of Dark Sun, so I totally ignore them, andstick to the 1st boxed set, ugh!!
Total crappola, what it does to the setting :(
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D

Idabrius
Hill Giant

Post by Idabrius » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:09 am

Agreed.

10th Age books on Lulu
10th Age and 2e downloads on the Frothing Mug

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Dark Sun”