[comic] Ianto's Tomb

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

[comic] Ianto's Tomb

Postby Big Mac » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:17 pm

The 4th Edition Era Dungeons & Dragons comic: Ianto's Tomb is set in the Dark Sun world:
Amazon wrote:Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Sun - Ianto's Tomb (Dungeons & Dragons (Idw Quality Paper))
by Alexander Irvine (author) and Peter Bergting (artist)

The post-apocalyptic Dungeons & Dragons setting's first-ever comic! Beneath a crimson sun lie wastelands of majestic desolation and cities of cruel splendor, where life hangs by a thread. Welcome to Athas! When an imprisoned gladiator named Grudvik escapes the city of Tyr, a part-time slave hunter and full-time dune trader is hired to bring back the fugitive. But after crossing swords, the pair must join forces to survive the harsh desert.

That's a fairly generic-sounding description for a Dark Sun story. I'm wondering how easy it would be to raid this plotline and use it in a tabletop game.

Is there anything special in this story, that ties it to the 4th Edition Dark Sun changes? Or would this work in the 2e Dark Sun timeline?

The name Ianto's Tomb, makes this sound like the story visits the tomb of Ianto. Is this an underground "dungeon"? If so, could the comic be used to infer maps of this tomb?

Does this comic introduce any new elements to Dark Sun?

Does the comic bring back any classic elements from 2e stories or gamebooks?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [comic] Ianto's Tomb

Postby apotheot » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:20 am

Big Mac wrote:That's a fairly generic-sounding description for a Dark Sun story. I'm wondering how easy it would be to raid this plotline and use it in a tabletop game.

Pretty easy to do, the first issue special printing had a two-page adventure at the back of it using 4e rules. There was little story in the adventure, but it basically was the first two encounters from said issue. It was geared toward higher level characters iiirc.

Big Mac wrote:Is there anything special in this story, that ties it to the 4th Edition Dark Sun changes? Or would this work in the 2e Dark Sun timeline?

Nothing special to tie it in really, pretty easily cannibalized for 2nd ed actually, even fewer mentions of things like primordials than most Dark Sun 4e material.

Big Mac wrote:The name Ianto's Tomb, makes this sound like the story visits the tomb of Ianto. Is this an underground "dungeon"? If so, could the comic be used to infer maps of this tomb?

Sort of a dungeon. It was just a tomb area of Under-Tyr. But no, no real way to infer what you might call a map.

Big Mac wrote:Does this comic introduce any new elements to Dark Sun?

Not that I recall, though the aforementioned encounters in the first issue I believe is the only time that one classic monster from 2nd shows up in a 4e adventure, though it is written up in the 4e Dark Sun Creature Catalogue.

It would have been nice if the series had continued, but WotC was kinda fickle about what it pushed during the 4e run, and after Dark Sun was released and had a run of the Encounters the company wanted to focus on other things.

I would have also liked the subsequent issues to have similar adventures in the back, but we did get the heroes from the story's stats.

Apotheot
apotheot
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:30 pm

apotheot wrote:
Big Mac wrote:That's a fairly generic-sounding description for a Dark Sun story. I'm wondering how easy it would be to raid this plotline and use it in a tabletop game.

Pretty easy to do, the first issue special printing had a two-page adventure at the back of it using 4e rules. There was little story in the adventure, but it basically was the first two encounters from said issue. It was geared toward higher level characters iiirc.

Thanks Apotheot. So does the adventure duplicate the story in the comic, or does the story in the comic lead up to the adventure?

You mention the first printing. Does that mean they pulled the adventure in later printings?

apotheot wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Is there anything special in this story, that ties it to the 4th Edition Dark Sun changes? Or would this work in the 2e Dark Sun timeline?

Nothing special to tie it in really, pretty easily cannibalized for 2nd ed actually, even fewer mentions of things like primordials than most Dark Sun 4e material.

Thanks. (I guess that would be good for some people and not so good for other people - depending on if they like the 4e changes.)

apotheot wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The name Ianto's Tomb, makes this sound like the story visits the tomb of Ianto. Is this an underground "dungeon"? If so, could the comic be used to infer maps of this tomb?

Sort of a dungeon. It was just a tomb area of Under-Tyr. But no, no real way to infer what you might call a map.

I guess that means that people could just design their own dungeon, based on the approximate size or shape suggested in the comic.

I think the Prism Pentad had some underground stuff, but I can't remember if it was under Tyr. :?

apotheot wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Does this comic introduce any new elements to Dark Sun?

Not that I recall, though the aforementioned encounters in the first issue I believe is the only time that one classic monster from 2nd shows up in a 4e adventure, though it is written up in the 4e Dark Sun Creature Catalogue.

It would have been nice if the series had continued, but WotC was kinda fickle about what it pushed during the 4e run, and after Dark Sun was released and had a run of the Encounters the company wanted to focus on other things.

I would have also liked the subsequent issues to have similar adventures in the back, but we did get the heroes from the story's stats.

I don't own any of the 4e Dark Sun stuff, but I always got the impression that they went the other way from 4e Forgotten Realms and made it as similar to the old stuff as possible.

Back in the day, I got the impression (from somewhere) that WotC said they were going to do "one setting per year", so I wasn't too bothered about Dark Sun being dropped out of the schedule (at the time) as I thought that they would have a punt at every other second edition campaign setting and eventually come back to Dark Sun later on. (I didn't think they were going to drop 4e at that time. Now with 5th Edition, I don't get the same vibe that they will publish more Dark Sun content.)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby apotheot » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:22 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Thanks Apotheot. So does the adventure duplicate the story in the comic, or does the story in the comic lead up to the adventure?

A direct copy of the first two encounters.
Big Mac wrote:You mention the first printing. Does that mean they pulled the adventure in later printings?

Not first printing, first issue, but only the special printing....something like 1 out of every 5 regular printings.

Big Mac wrote:I think the Prism Pentad had some underground stuff, but I can't remember if it was under Tyr. :?

The Verdant Passage did indeed visit Undertyr. It is the same section where they talk about gods once having been worshipped on Athas.

Big Mac wrote:I don't own any of the 4e Dark Sun stuff, but I always got the impression that they went the other way from 4e Forgotten Realms and made it as similar to the old stuff as possible.
Back in the day, I got the impression (from somewhere) that WotC said they were going to do "one setting per year", so I wasn't too bothered about Dark Sun being dropped out of the schedule (at the time) as I thought that they would have a punt at every other second edition campaign setting and eventually come back to Dark Sun later on. (I didn't think they were going to drop 4e at that time.

That is correct, but this fell apart early as the 2nd setting they were planing to do was Ravenloft (announced in the 4e announcement even) and they kinda shoehorned Dark Sun in as a replacement. I do not recall why Ravenloft was scrapped, but I am pretty sure Fraternity of Shadows has a vaporware page for it.

Big Mac wrote: Now with 5th Edition, I don't get the same vibe that they will publish more Dark Sun content.)
5e doesnt want to rush things, but they do have long term plans. Some of this is obsolete, but here is one person's guess as to what they were planning to do...http://www.nerdsonearth.com/2014/12/dun ... dule-2018/
apotheot
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:11 am

apotheot wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Thanks Apotheot. So does the adventure duplicate the story in the comic, or does the story in the comic lead up to the adventure?

A direct copy of the first two encounters.
Big Mac wrote:You mention the first printing. Does that mean they pulled the adventure in later printings?

Not first printing, first issue, but only the special printing....something like 1 out of every 5 regular printings.

Hmm. Looks like anyone wanting to get hold of that comic for D&D purposes is going to have to track down the 1 in 5 version. I think that's actually going to make it a bit harder to work out if I can buy a particular copy.

Thanks for the heads-up on this situation.

apotheot wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I think the Prism Pentad had some underground stuff, but I can't remember if it was under Tyr. :?

The Verdant Passage did indeed visit Undertyr. It is the same section where they talk about gods once having been worshipped on Athas.

If they had done an Arcane Age version of Dark Sun, perhaps we might have found out about those gods.

This isn't the first thing I've seen from TSR suggesting that fantasy elements vanish if a campaign setting modernises. Dark Sun has a post-apocalyptic vibe to it. The sun looks like it has been stuffed up. The world is stuffed up. And the deities have been killed, banished or shunned.

In a way, Dark Sun did the Points of Light thing, before 4e was even dreamed of. :)

apotheot wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I don't own any of the 4e Dark Sun stuff, but I always got the impression that they went the other way from 4e Forgotten Realms and made it as similar to the old stuff as possible.
Back in the day, I got the impression (from somewhere) that WotC said they were going to do "one setting per year", so I wasn't too bothered about Dark Sun being dropped out of the schedule (at the time) as I thought that they would have a punt at every other second edition campaign setting and eventually come back to Dark Sun later on. (I didn't think they were going to drop 4e at that time.

That is correct, but this fell apart early as the 2nd setting they were planing to do was Ravenloft (announced in the 4e announcement even) and they kinda shoehorned Dark Sun in as a replacement. I do not recall why Ravenloft was scrapped, but I am pretty sure Fraternity of Shadows has a vaporware page for it.

They did make a Ravenloft board game.

I was, round about that time, listening to the "one campaign setting per year" promise, and waiting for the 4e team to "get on with it" and convert all the 2nd Edition D&D campaign settings, that I was interested in.

apotheot wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Now with 5th Edition, I don't get the same vibe that they will publish more Dark Sun content.)
5e doesnt want to rush things, but they do have long term plans. Some of this is obsolete, but here is one person's guess as to what they were planning to do...http://www.nerdsonearth.com/2014/12/dun ... dule-2018/

I am really hoping that WotC will stick with 5e and not go to 6e after 5-10 years.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby apotheot » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:56 pm

Big Mac wrote:In a way, Dark Sun did the Points of Light thing, before 4e was even dreamed of.

Here is a wonderful map someone did which works for that idea, as well as for "player knowledge". http://azathought.com/rpg/oldRPG/darksu ... pLarge.jpg
apotheot
Ogre

Postby Kamelion » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:46 pm

FWIW, I very much enjoyed Ianto's Tomb. There's nothing you could draw a map from, but you could definitely use it as the outline for an adventure. It has some lovely art - a great depiction of The Crawl in UnderTyr and a nice view of the city itself from the heights of the Tyr valley. It has cloud rays, silt horrors, a thrax, undead - a whole bunch of Athas-specific material in fact. There is very little that ties it to the 4e version of the setting - the bard using music-based spells is the main thing that springs to mind - and I fully intend to plunder it for my current 2e game. You can get the whole thing in pdf from DTRPG, including the adventure.
The name that can be named is not the true name.
Kamelion
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:40 pm

apotheot wrote:
Big Mac wrote:In a way, Dark Sun did the Points of Light thing, before 4e was even dreamed of.

Here is a wonderful map someone did which works for that idea, as well as for "player knowledge". http://azathought.com/rpg/oldRPG/darksu ... pLarge.jpg

That's an interesting way to do things. It looks like they applied some sort of "fog of war" effect. :)

Kamelion wrote:FWIW, I very much enjoyed Ianto's Tomb. There's nothing you could draw a map from, but you could definitely use it as the outline for an adventure. It has some lovely art - a great depiction of The Crawl in UnderTyr and a nice view of the city itself from the heights of the Tyr valley. It has cloud rays, silt horrors, a thrax, undead - a whole bunch of Athas-specific material in fact. There is very little that ties it to the 4e version of the setting - the bard using music-based spells is the main thing that springs to mind - and I fully intend to plunder it for my current 2e game. You can get the whole thing in pdf from DTRPG, including the adventure.

I'm intending to mostly do Athas the 2e way, too. (Although I would be using 3rd Edition conversions from The Burnt World of Athas.)
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Kamelion » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:47 pm

Big Mac wrote:I'm intending to mostly do Athas the 2e way, too.

I'm loving being back with 2e. There's a really lean, robust system at the heart of that edition that's so easy to mod (especially if you don't know how to leave well enough alone, like me, lol.) I ran lots of DS in 3e and Pathfinder, but I've found it smoothest with 2e.

Big Mac wrote:(Although I would be using 3rd Edition conversions from The Burnt World of Athas.)

Speaking as a former athas.org dev, it's really nice to hear that people still consider using our work two editions down the line. Thank you :).
The name that can be named is not the true name.
Kamelion
Goblin

Postby skelekon » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:58 am

I have the hardcover collection with the encounters and character stats in the back - it has ISBN 978-1600109966, which is different to the one linked in the first post.

I don't know if that makes it any easier to find the right edition? (Abebooks is selling this ISBN new for $2.95 + $4 shipping in the U.S.)
skelekon
Kobold

Postby Big Mac » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:59 am

skelekon wrote:I have the hardcover collection with the encounters and character stats in the back - it has ISBN 978-1600109966, which is different to the one linked in the first post.

I don't know if that makes it any easier to find the right edition? (Abebooks is selling this ISBN new for $2.95 + $4 shipping in the U.S.)

Thanks for the information Skelekon. I'll be sure to update my Dark Sun wishlist to point to the correct version. :D
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Dark Sun