Pieces of 8-bit's Dark Sun: Shattered Lands playlist

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Pieces of 8-bit's Dark Sun: Shattered Lands playlist

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:21 pm

YouTube user, and recent Piazza member, Pieces of 8-bit, has cleaned up twenty three tracks from Dark Sun: Shattered Lands video game soundtrack and uploaded them:

He also has a Dark Sun: Shattered Lands playlist (which plays all the tracks one after the other).

(Given that these are listed in alphabetical order, with a track called "Menu" in the middle, I suspect this might not be the order that a player hears these tracks in the game. I would love to be able to listen to this in the order that they come up in the game, as I think it might help tell the story, like a symphony. Maybe I'll go looking for one of those Let's Play videos for Shattered Lands.)

I have to say that I've always thought that fantasy campaign setting music should be of the sort of epic music that was made for the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit music. Not having played any of the Dark Sun computer games, this music is radically different from what I was expecting. This music is so mind-blowing that I've listened to it a few times now. It's erm - well - weird. Not in a bad way, but one of the tracks has the vibe of a drum kit being played on a camel, while a Frenchman is playing an accordion. And there is another track that sounds a bit like a jazz version of a Jewish folk song to me. :shock:

Is the Dragon Kings music anything like this? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Pieces of 8-bit's Dark Sun: Shattered Lands playlist

Postby Kamelion » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:43 pm

The Dragon Kings music is nothing like that. It's vaguely proggy metal. I really like it. Nice melodies, lyrics that fit the setting, and decent musicianship.
The name that can be named is not the true name.
Kamelion
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:29 pm

Kamelion wrote:The Dragon Kings music is nothing like that. It's vaguely proggy metal. I really like it. Nice melodies, lyrics that fit the setting, and decent musicianship.

Thanks Kamelion.

I just found a sample called Track 05: Lotus Warriors (clip).

I didn't realise that Dragon Kings included words. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Kamelion » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:49 pm

KS backers got instrumental versions as well, sans lyrics. I prefer the full versions, though :).
Kamelion
Goblin

Postby Jayce » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:56 pm

Big Mac wrote:I have to say that I've always thought that fantasy campaign setting music should be of the sort of epic music that was made for the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit music. Not having played any of the Dark Sun computer games, this music is radically different from what I was expecting.

Those would seem way too...err...Celtic-influenced/European to me to fit the mood of Dark Sun.

Personally, when I think Dark Sun I think of stuff like Basil Poledouris' Conan the Barbarian score, particularly the pieces Anvil of Crom and Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom. Another track that is a mainstay as background music during my Dark Sun games is the main theme from Myst 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5Wo5-B0rQ8 <-- check it out ;) )

But yeah, the Dark Sun game soundtracks are pretty odd and eclectic - not what would have been my first choice either, but it did oddly fit the atmosphere of the games somehow. These remakes are really nice and nostalgic though. I like that they don't stray far from the original versions. :)

As for the Dragon Kings soundtrack....well.....I'm sure there are people who like it, and....I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. :lol:
Jayce
Hobgoblin

Postby Kamelion » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:24 pm

Jayce wrote:Personally, when I think Dark Sun I think of stuff like Basil Poledouris' Conan the Barbarian score, particularly the pieces Anvil of Crom and Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom.

Yup - same here. We open every session with Anvil of Crom - nothing quite like it. I just ordered the 3-CD version of that soundtrack, as it happens. Looking forward to seeing what new coolness there is to add to the game :)

Unless tonight's expedition to UnderTyr ends in a TPK, that is... ;)
Kamelion
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:50 am

Jayce wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I have to say that I've always thought that fantasy campaign setting music should be of the sort of epic music that was made for the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit music. Not having played any of the Dark Sun computer games, this music is radically different from what I was expecting.

Those would seem way too...err...Celtic-influenced/European to me to fit the mood of Dark Sun.

Personally, when I think Dark Sun I think of stuff like Basil Poledouris' Conan the Barbarian score, particularly the pieces Anvil of Crom and Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom. Another track that is a mainstay as background music during my Dark Sun games is the main theme from Myst 3 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5Wo5-B0rQ8 <-- check it out ;) )

I agree with you totally there.

I more meant that I like my fantasy music to "feel old" (to make me think that it comes from the past) rather than have something modern sounding. (Modern sounding music works better for science fiction things, like The Terminator, to me.)

I really like the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack. I found a MIDI file version of the entire soundtrack once. That was a really epic 8-Bit rendition. :D

And Myst 3: Exile Soundtrack - 01 Main Theme sounds great.

Jayce wrote:But yeah, the Dark Sun game soundtracks are pretty odd and eclectic - not what would have been my first choice either, but it did oddly fit the atmosphere of the games somehow. These remakes are really nice and nostalgic though. I like that they don't stray far from the original versions. :)

As for the Dragon Kings soundtrack....well.....I'm sure there are people who like it, and....I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. :lol:

What is interesting about this is that Dark Sun is so radical, that various different people (both creative designers and fans) have built up quite different ideas about how it should sound. That might be proof that they have succeeded in avoiding making it into a generic clone.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Dark Sun