Half Giants

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Re: Half Giants

Postby Zeromaru X » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:23 am

Well, Tareks do exist in the 4th edition version of Dark Sun. And they're part of the "core" 4e DS (they are in Creature Catalog). And the Tareks are totally diferent that Goliaths. Or at least, 4e Goliaths.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Tim Baker » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:02 am

Zeromaru X wrote:Well, Tareks do exist in the 4th edition version of Dark Sun. And they're part of the "core" 4e DS (they are in Creature Catalog). And the Tareks are totally diferent that Goliaths. Or at least, 4e Goliaths.

Expanding upon what Zeromaru said, the 4e Dark Sun Creature Catalog provides rules that allow a DM to take any type of orc found in Monster Manuals and other materials and convert them into tareks by swapping out a couple of their abilities. Thus, I'd assumed that Tareks were intended to be Athas' version of orcs, although with a unique backstory and belief system.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Tim Baker » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:14 am

Tim Baker wrote:I'd assumed that Tareks were intended to be Athas' version of orcs, although with a unique backstory and belief system.

I did a bit of searching, and the 4e Dark Sun Campaign Setting states this on p. 197.

Dark Sun Campaign Setting wrote:The world has not seen the brutal tread of orcs, but tareks—a race of savage, bestial warriors—are similar.

Additionally, the 2e Dark Sun Monstrous Compendium Appendix II: Terrors beyond Tyr states that tareks average 6' tall, which probably contributed to my not having made the connection to their being a goliath-like race.

I do see where the backstories are similar between goliaths and tareks. Good catch, Jayce.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Lord Torath » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:29 am

Ah, Terrors Beyond Tyr. I honestly have not looked too closely at that volume (although I own it). The art just turned me off.
Lord Torath
Ogre

Postby Cthulhudrew » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:24 am

Big Mac wrote:
Kamelion wrote:
Havard wrote:Do the Beasthead Giants have beastlike heads? Or is there another explanation for their name?

Yeah, it's exactly as it sounds. They have giant monster animal heads.

I'm not sure of the logic behind this. Maybe it was just a strange scene to make the novel interesting. Or maybe that is backed up by tabletop canon.

It was one of the more bizarre elements of the Prism Pentad series- and that's saying a lot, actually. I really loved the concept of Dark Sun and the first boxed set, but pretty much lost all appetite for the setting after reading the Prism Pentad. I feel like a lot of the answers to some of the mysteries were very underwhelming and were just outright weird (not to mention bad characters and dialogue, IMO). The beast-head giants were one of the jumping off points for me.

(That said, I did stick around long enough to read Simon Hawk's Outcast books, which I felt did a great job. Just not enough to maintain my interest on a limited high school budget and being already overwhelmed with setting choices from TSR.)
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Jayce » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:58 am

Tim Baker wrote:
Tim Baker wrote:I'd assumed that Tareks were intended to be Athas' version of orcs, although with a unique backstory and belief system.

I did a bit of searching, and the 4e Dark Sun Campaign Setting states this on p. 197.

Dark Sun Campaign Setting wrote:The world has not seen the brutal tread of orcs, but tareks—a race of savage, bestial warriors—are similar.

Additionally, the 2e Dark Sun Monstrous Compendium Appendix II: Terrors beyond Tyr states that tareks average 6' tall, which probably contributed to my not having made the connection to their being a goliath-like race.

I do see where the backstories are similar between goliaths and tareks. Good catch, Jayce.

I'd blame the Tarek-Orc linkage on the 4E-era's efforts to streamline the game. There really is no evidence of a link between Orcs and Tareks in the original setting or Troy Denning's book series. :/

Aside from the height (Tareks being merely slightly taller than the average human), Goliaths really do seem like Tareks, culturally.

This was one of the reasons I didn't get into the 4E Dark Sun line - I felt like a lot of what WotC did with Goliaths, but also for example with Thri-Kreen, making creatures more human-like, softening up their cultural issues, making them a little less alien and more in line with generic D&D, misses the point of what Dark Sun is about. Dark Sun was, imo, meant to be utterly alien (which is also one of the reasons everything is so powerful there, and why the world, during 2E was far more difficult to reach via planar travel - I don't know if this was kept during 4E, but during 2E there seemed to be a conscious effort to separate Dark Sun from other D&D lines, and I felt like that really worked). By making everything compatible and streamlined with generic D&D (transforming Tareks into orcs, Half-Giants into Goliaths, reducing power levels etc), I felt like they'd taken a lot of what made Dark Sun fun (to me and my group of players) away from the setting. :/ I'm still happily DM'ing Dark Sun in 2E (current game running since 2012).

That's just my personal feelings about 2E vs 4E Dark Sun though. To each their own and all that. Although I am really happy 4E got new players into DS, who will maybe go on to check out some of the excellent 2E stuff on DTRPG! And it sure beats the 5E approach of having no campaign settings at all - so far this is turning out to be a fairly boring era in the history of the game, isn't it? Thank heavens for DTRPG.
Jayce
Hobgoblin

Postby Zeromaru X » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:03 pm

Jayce wrote:(which is also one of the reasons everything is so powerful there, and why the world, during 2E was far more difficult to reach via planar travel - I don't know if this was kept during 4E, but during 2E there seemed to be a conscious effort to separate Dark Sun from other D&D lines, and I felt like that really worked).

At least, the 4e Campaign Setting did it (only a line in the book, but it states that planar travel was blocked to and from Athas). Dunno if that stopped DMs from just popping up a portal in Sigil...
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Previous

Return to Dark Sun