Vehicles and transportation

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Vehicles and transportation

Postby Havard » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:16 pm

Another thing that always fascinated me with Dark Sun were the Sand Skiffs. I always liked the idea of sailing across a flat desert landscape. IIRC there was also a larger version called Salt Skimmers?

What other means of transportation are common on Athas?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Vehicles and transportation

Postby Kamelion » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:03 pm

Athas doesn't really have sand skiffs (at least, not in the 2e version), but the salt skimmers you're thinking of are called wind wagons. They're prevalent on the Ivory Plain and were invented by dwarves. Sleds pulled by mounts are also used on the salt plains.

Other forms of transportation include silt skimmers that sail the Sea of Silt - powered either by sails and wheels (restricted to shallow silt shoals) or by obsidian engines that allow them to levitate (can travel anywhere on the Sea). Ruktoi are also tamed to carry people across the silt (levitating silt reptiles). On land you have various types of mount (crodlu, kanks, and inixes are the most common, but some can manage to ride erdlu and erdlands). These can also pull chariots and wagons and (in the case of inixes) carry howdahs. Larger argosies are pulled by mekillots. You also have undead beetles that can be used to carry large amounts of passengers (usually troops in time of war). And then there are the giant drik lizards, whose shells are moulded to form mobile transportation and weapons platforms. There's also a creature in the fiction called a korinth that's a huge lizard with chambers carved into the spines on its back.

Aerial transport is much more limited - gliders made from the carcasses of large creatures, rocs and other mounts, and there's even a hot air balloon or two in the lore (and also a balloon that remains aloft by trapping large numbers of levitating floaters in a net and hanging a basket underneath).

The Last Sea also has boats and surfboards. Don't let the squark catch you!
The name that can be named is not the true name.
Kamelion
Goblin

Postby The Dark » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:07 pm

The halflings of the Jagged Cliffs have flying mounts.

Silt skimmers got some details in a Dragon #237 article, "On a Waterless Sea."
The Dark
Troll

Postby Big Mac » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:45 pm

You may be interested in my Shipfloaters topic. (I don't know if it needs renaming.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Dark Sun