Advantage to Insight Podcast: Dark Sun

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Advantage to Insight Podcast: Dark Sun

Postby Raddu » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:53 pm

I was on a podcast talking about Dark Sun, we talk about Dark Sun through the years and editions, including 5e. Check out Advantage to Insight. http://misdirectedmark.com/ati007-dark- ... t-adducci/
Founder of Image
@Raddu76
Raddu
Goblin

Re: Advantage to Insight Podcast: Dark Sun

Postby Havard » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:13 pm

Raddu wrote:I was on a podcast talking about Dark Sun, we talk about Dark Sun through the years and editions, including 5e. Check out Advantage to Insight. http://misdirectedmark.com/ati007-dark- ... t-adducci/

Thanks for sharing!

I will take a look :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:13 pm

Raddu wrote:I was on a podcast talking about Dark Sun, we talk about Dark Sun through the years and editions, including 5e. Check out Advantage to Insight. http://misdirectedmark.com/ati007-dark- ... t-adducci/

Thanks for telling us about this Raddu. It's great to see some Dark Sun news from you. I'll have to make the time to download this and listen to it. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby apotheot » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:24 pm

I was just listening and Robert mentions alignment change rules due to lack of water. I have never heard of such a thing. Any idea where this comes from?
-Apotheot
apotheot
Ogre

Postby XstarkillerX » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:51 pm

apotheot wrote:I was just listening and Robert mentions alignment change rules due to lack of water. I have never heard of such a thing. Any idea where this comes from?
-Apotheot

It was always present in Dark Sun as an optional rule since the first boxed set:
Dark Sun boxed set, Rules Book, p. 43 wrote:For the purposes of this rule, severe desperation sets in when one member of the party (either a PC or NPC) dies from dehydration and the situation shows no signs of changing. At such times, the DM should make a Wisdom check for each character every day in order to avoid madness.
The madness created by water deprivation forces a character to adopt a chaotic evil alignment for that day with regards to obtaining water. The DM should inform the player of this temporary alignment change—the player should do his best to adopt the madness in his character's style: a stupid gladiator might simply take out his sword and de- mand the water, whereas a bard might poison some of his fellows in secret to increase his share. If a player is unwilling to take appropriate actions, the DM should make the character into an NPC until the madness wears off. It is mostly for this reason that this rule is optional. Alignment related class abilities are lost during the period of madness.
Once a character has a successful Wisdom check or is rehydrated, the madness goes away.
XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Postby apotheot » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:54 am

Interesting. I guess I didn't consider that really an alignment change,just a temporary insanity. This doesn't exist in the revised box set, the 3e version(s), or the 4e version.
apotheot
Ogre

Postby XstarkillerX » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:02 am

apotheot wrote:Interesting. I guess I didn't consider that really an alignment change,just a temporary insanity. This doesn't exist in the revised box set, the 3e version(s), or the 4e version.

It does exist indeed in the revised box set, in a sidebar on page 22, with almost exactly the same wording.
XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Postby apotheot » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:03 pm

XstarkillerX wrote:
apotheot wrote:Interesting. I guess I didn't consider that really an alignment change,just a temporary insanity. This doesn't exist in the revised box set, the 3e version(s), or the 4e version.

It does exist indeed in the revised box set, in a sidebar on page 22, with almost exactly the same wording.

Hrm, I appear to be missing that sidebar...the coloring is correct for a sidebar though. misprint copy?
apotheot
Ogre

Postby XstarkillerX » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:59 pm

apotheot wrote:Hrm, I appear to be missing that sidebar...the coloring is correct for a sidebar though. misprint copy?

A misprint copy seems like an unlucky but plausible cause for your lack of sidebar. Maybe some hardcore collector (I think there are a few around here) will tell us if there's a known misprint run of the revised set.
XstarkillerX
Broccoli Golem

Return to Dark Sun