Page 1 of 1

30 Days of Dark Sun 7: What's your favorite element?

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:11 pm
by Big Mac
It's the Dark Sun 25th Anniversary and The Burnt World of Athas (aka Athas.org) is celbrating with "30 Days of Dark Sun".

Here is what Athas.org is doing for Day 7: 30 Days of Dark Sun 7: What's your favorite element?.

Did you ever play an elemental priest/cleric? Which element did you choose...and why?

Re: 30 Days of Dark Sun 7: What's your favorite element?

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:15 pm
by agathokles
There are also other options, such as the Sun, Silt, Rain and Magma clerics.

GP

Re: 30 Days of Dark Sun 7: What's your favorite element?

Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:21 pm
by Zeromaru X
Fire. Always (Dragon Soul Sorcerer with Fire affinity FTW)

Re: 30 Days of Dark Sun 7: What's your favorite element?

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:14 pm
by Big Mac
agathokles wrote:There are also other options, such as the Sun, Silt, Rain and Magma clerics.
Isn't Rain the Dark Sun name for water?

If you give me a full set of Dark Sun elements (and there are less than ten) I can restart the poll with the full list. :)

I was away from my gamebooks when I posted this topic. (Or rather my Dark Sun boxed set is in the loft.)

Re: 30 Days of Dark Sun 7: What's your favorite element?

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:41 pm
by agathokles
No, Rain is para-element. Dark Sun replaces the para-elemental planes (and elementals) of Ice, Ooze, Magma, and Smoke with Rain, Silt, Magma and Sun.
The full list is therefore Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Rain, Silt, Magma and Sun.

Para-elemental priests are less common, as the para-elements are either rare and weak (Rain) or bent to the destruction of Athas (Silt, Sun) or both (Magma).

Quasi-elemental planes also appear, but seen from Athas, they are small and difficult to distinguish from the elemental and para-elemental planes. Thus, there are no clerics of quasi-elements (i.e., no Lightning or Void clerics).

More details can be found in "Earth, Air, Fire and Water", the splatbook for Clerics, Druids and Templars.

GP

Re: 30 Days of Dark Sun 7: What's your favorite element?

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:45 pm
by agathokles
Note that the para-elemental clerics are rather interesting. Most are mad or desperate -- Sun priests stand in the desert, staring at their patron, while Magma priests are driven mad by the suffering of their patron spirits, as Athas tectonic activity is almost non-existent. Silt priests are typically greedy individuals who trade the expansion of the Silt Sea for personal power. Rain priests are the more humane, but even them are markedly more extreme in their beliefs than Water clerics. Overall, these guys fit well the tone of the setting.

GP

Re: 30 Days of Dark Sun 7: What's your favorite element?

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:53 pm
by Big Mac
agathokles wrote:No, Rain is para-element. Dark Sun replaces the para-elemental planes (and elementals) of Ice, Ooze, Magma, and Smoke with Rain, Silt, Magma and Sun.
The full list is therefore Earth, Air, Fire, Water, Rain, Silt, Magma and Sun.
Thanks. I'll reset the poll with the options you listed there.

People will need to vote again. :oops:

Re: 30 Days of Dark Sun 7: What's your favorite element?

Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:08 pm
by Big Mac
agathokles wrote:Quasi-elemental planes also appear, but seen from Athas, they are small and difficult to distinguish from the elemental and para-elemental planes. Thus, there are no clerics of quasi-elements (i.e., no Lightning or Void clerics).
I wonder if anyone has tried to make homebrew versions of quasi-elemental clerics. :)
agathokles wrote:Note that the para-elemental clerics are rather interesting. Most are mad or desperate -- Sun priests stand in the desert, staring at their patron, while Magma priests are driven mad by the suffering of their patron spirits, as Athas tectonic activity is almost non-existent. Silt priests are typically greedy individuals who trade the expansion of the Silt Sea for personal power. Rain priests are the more humane, but even them are markedly more extreme in their beliefs than Water clerics. Overall, these guys fit well the tone of the setting.
Thanks.

I never knew about these guys before.

I didn't know that Silt priests could make the Silt Sea get bigger. That sounds quite similar to defiling.

Re: 30 Days of Dark Sun 7: What's your favorite element?

Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:03 am
by agathokles
They don't have special powers to do it, they have to work with the environment.
GP