30 Days of Dark Sun 8: Favorite psionics system/power?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

30 Days of Dark Sun 8: Favorite psionics system/power?

Postby Big Mac » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:58 am

It's the Dark Sun 25th Anniversary and The Burnt World of Athas (aka Athas.org) is celbrating with "30 Days of Dark Sun".

Here is what Athas.org is doing for Day 8: 30 Days of Dark Sun 8: What's your favorite psionics system/power?.

I'm a little stuck with a personal answer for this, but I did love the fact that shipfloating was done via psionic powers. What did everyone else do with psionics in their Dark Sun games?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: 30 Days of Dark Sun 8: Favorite psionics system/power?

Postby agathokles » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:47 pm

The Will and the Way, of course. It provides a set of interesting tactical options by allowing telepathic combatants to assume mental symbols of their attacks and defenses, where each combination of attack vs defense may be more or less favorable.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:12 pm

agathokles wrote:The Will and the Way, of course. It provides a set of interesting tactical options by allowing telepathic combatants to assume mental symbols of their attacks and defenses, where each combination of attack vs defense may be more or less favorable.

Does that mean that psionic combat might be fought as a combat between two monsters or something like that?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Zeromaru X » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:58 am

I really liked the concept of wild talents, and the fact that even non-psionic characters can use them. Is just a minor trick, but it makes clear that Athas was different, the people there more powerful than the folks of Toril or Nerath.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby agathokles » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:05 am

Big Mac wrote:
agathokles wrote:The Will and the Way, of course. It provides a set of interesting tactical options by allowing telepathic combatants to assume mental symbols of their attacks and defenses, where each combination of attack vs defense may be more or less favorable.

Does that mean that psionic combat might be fought as a combat between two monsters or something like that?

No, except figuratively. Besides, most defenses are not monsters. Mechanically, it's still a power check.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Tim Baker » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:12 am

I really liked Wild Talents, as well. I had this "wow" moment when I first read those rules -- Athas wasn't just a reskinned "generic" fantasy world, and this was when I had that epiphany.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Return to Dark Sun