30 Days of Dark Sun 14: What drew you to play Dark Sun?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

30 Days of Dark Sun 14: What drew you to play Dark Sun?

Postby Big Mac » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:32 pm

It's the Dark Sun 25th Anniversary and The Burnt World of Athas (aka Athas.org) is celebrating with "30 Days of Dark Sun".

Here is what Athas.org is doing for Day 14: 30 Days of Dark Sun 14: What drew you to play Dark Sun?

I was attracted by the logo, with that planet passing really close to it's sun. How about you?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: 30 Days of Dark Sun 14: What drew you to play Dark Sun?

Postby Havard » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:05 pm

With my original gaming group, our goal was to get to play all the TSR Settings. At least the ones we knew about. One guy did buy the Boxed Set, but he wasn't really a core member of the group and he never managed to get a game going that I know of. So Dark Sun became a setting that I never got to play in. I am a huge fan of desert settings, I love Frank Herbert's Dune and the Brom illustrations really gave Dark Sun a fascinating atmosphere.

I was also attracted to the fact that Dark Sun seemed to push the boundaries of AD&D 2nd Edition in so many ways with Psionics, High Level Options, new races, etc etc.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:23 am

I guess it was the advertising of the 4e version of Dark Sun. The idea that was a grittier, edgier, more dark setting than other D&D settings was very compelling to my group (as some players were tired of our "tolkienesque" adventures).
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:49 am

Havard wrote:With my original gaming group, our goal was to get to play all the TSR Settings. At least the ones we knew about. One guy did buy the Boxed Set, but he wasn't really a core member of the group and he never managed to get a game going that I know of. So Dark Sun became a setting that I never got to play in. I am a huge fan of desert settings, I love Frank Herbert's Dune and the Brom illustrations really gave Dark Sun a fascinating atmosphere.

I was also attracted to the fact that Dark Sun seemed to push the boundaries of AD&D 2nd Edition in so many ways with Psionics, High Level Options, new races, etc etc.

My experience almost exactly matches Havard's. While I didn't always have a group to play through the 2e campaign settings, I still bought them all in the hopes that we'd be able to play. Otherwise, I would answer the same way Havard did: love of Dune, evocative cover art, and hearing about the aspects of the setting that are unique all attracted my attention.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Havard » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:35 am

Tim Baker wrote:My experience almost exactly matches Havard's. While I didn't always have a group to play through the 2e campaign settings, I still bought them all in the hopes that we'd be able to play. Otherwise, I would answer the same way Havard did: love of Dune, evocative cover art, and hearing about the aspects of the setting that are unique all attracted my attention.

That is interesting to hear Tim!
Like you, I have also collected the Dark Sun books/material (for 2nd, 3E and 4E) with the hopes of one day playing in the setting.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby agathokles » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:47 pm

Same here. We mostly play in Mystara, with a few campaigns in other settings (Ravenloft, Dragonlance, Planescape), so Dark Sun remains one of the settings I've not been able to play in, except via CRPGs.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:51 pm

Havard wrote:Like you, I have also collected the Dark Sun books/material (for 2nd, 3E and 4E) with the hopes of one day playing in the setting.

I was fortunate enough to be able to run Dark Sun for 4e, and had a great time with the setting. Holding on to my 2e material paid off.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Return to Dark Sun