30 Days of Dark Sun 28: Your first Dark Sun game session

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

30 Days of Dark Sun 28: Your first Dark Sun game session

Postby Big Mac » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:12 pm

It's the Dark Sun 25th Anniversary and The Burnt World of Athas (aka Athas.org) is celbrating with "30 Days of Dark Sun".

Here is what Athas.org is doing for Day 28: 30 Days of Dark Sun 28: When was your first game session? What happened?

I've never played in a Dark Sun game. ;(

Raddu shared the story of his first game. What was your first Dark Sun game like?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: 30 Days of Dark Sun 28: Your first Dark Sun game session

Postby agathokles » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Unfortunately, I've never been able to play a Dark Sun campaign, except for the CRPGs (Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager). I've completed both of those twice, though :-)

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:18 pm

agathokles wrote:Unfortunately, I've never been able to play a Dark Sun campaign, except for the CRPGs (Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager). I've completed both of those twice, though :-)

I've never played those. Maybe I should start a topic about one of them...or a pair of topics about both of them...just in case they have any raidable content. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby agathokles » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:06 pm

Big Mac wrote:
agathokles wrote:Unfortunately, I've never been able to play a Dark Sun campaign, except for the CRPGs (Shattered Lands and Wake of the Ravager). I've completed both of those twice, though :-)

I've never played those. Maybe I should start a topic about one of them...or a pair of topics about both of them...just in case they have any raidable content. :)

Oh, they've got plenty, from the dungeons to NPCs and the plots. They are flexible enough that you could run them as tabletop adventures. They even have some rules tweaking worth stealing (in particular, all PCs have the Mind Blank psionic power in the game, but not in the original rules, and this goes a major length to fix some problems with the AD&D 2e Psionics rules).
Eck, even the music is raidable, if you use background music for your games.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Zeromaru X » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:17 pm

My first Dark Sun adventure was as a player, and our DM had us to deliver water to a village near Tyr during the events that eventually led to the dead of Kalak. The water was for the celebration of some noble's birthday or something like that. Some dune travelers stole the water and a member of the party died prey of a sand cactus when we were tracking the thieves (yeah, first session and one dead already). We also had to fight against a z'tal horde, but eventually tracked down the dune traders, killed them, retrieved the water and delivered it in time to the village.

As for my first time DMing in Athas, was with the Ashes of Athas adventures. In those adventures, the players all were members of the Veiled Alliance and had to save members of the Alliance that were sold as slaves by the the people of the True. I remember nearly all my players died in the rescue operation, and I had to allow them to create new characters. :twisted:
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby MToscan » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:01 pm

My first Dark Sun game was Freedom, just two months after the campaign set was released. We played it (I had a mul gladiator) until the end but never did anything else until 1994 when I DMed Black Flames (terrible, terrible module, but highly customized).
Now 25 years after I am going to DM Freedom to some friends in two weeks.
MToscan
Kobold

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:47 am

My first Dark Sun adventure was Cruel as a Desert Wind from Dungeon 202. It was the first adventure I ran in my 4e Dark Sun campaign. The players faced a Tembo at an oasis, and it was a brutal encounter -- something uncommon in 4e, with its cinematically heroic adventurers.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Lord Torath » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:56 am

My first adventure was A Little Knowledge, from the boxed set. I was playing a Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist, and so I didn't need as much water as everyone else. Some of it seemed to be Gotcha!, like the poisonous plants you couldn't test for poison other than sampling them yourself, but it was pretty fun, and we ended up with a small herd of kanks we drove to market and sold.
Lord Torath
Ogre

Return to Dark Sun