30 Days of Dark Sun "DVD extra": Athas.org

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

30 Days of Dark Sun "DVD extra": Athas.org

Postby Big Mac » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:09 am

It's the Dark Sun 25th Anniversary and we just followed The Burnt World of Athas (aka Athas.org) as they celebrated with "30 Days of Dark Sun".

But there was something that they didn't ask, so here is a special "DVD extra question": What's your favourite thing that The Burnt World of Athas (Athas.org) has done over the years?

For me, its two things.

Generally the thing about the 25th Anniversary of Dark Sun marks not "25 years of Dark Sun support", but a much smaller period of TSR and then WotC support. That's a lot of years when the owners of D&D didn't support Dark Sun...but a lot of years where The Burnt World of Athas did support Dark Sun. Websites like The Burnt World of Athas (and others) help keep dormant D&D campaign settings alive. And, although he has had a lot of help over the years, a big part of that support is down to Raddu stepping up and keeping Dark Sun alive. I won't say that the return of Dark Sun as a 4th Edition campaign setting was down to the work of Athas.org (as I don't know) but I suspect that it was a good contributing factor.

So Raddu goes onto my "I would buy this person a drink" list for that. Thanks Raddu!

The second thing is less of a general thing and more of a specific thing. I stopped playing D&D during the 2nd Edition AD&D Era (and went off to play science fiction LARP instead for several years). I got dragged back to D&D by a LARP buddy (mostly because he was running a Forgotten Realms game) and grudingly decided I would learn the new fangled D&D rules (3rd Edition). But I was disappointed that WotC were not supporting the old settings. ;(

I eventually found the (now deleted) Wizards COMmunity Boards and the Other Worlds section (which The Piazza is the "spiritual successor" to) and they had a bunch of links to websites where a number of people were filling in the gaps that Wizards of the Coast had left. The Burnt World of Athas was one of these amazing websites and they were working on a 3rd Edition conversion of Dark Sun.

I've stuck with 3rd Edition - that's my personal choice - but I have friends who like a number of different D&D rulesets. So I am interested in seeing campaign settings opened up to whoever wants to play them. And I think that the 3rd Edition Dark Sun conversions is one of the better fan freebies out there.

In his last 30 Days of Dark Sun post Raddu said: "Here's to 25 years of Dark Sun, and 25 more!"

I say: Here is to 25 years of Athas.org, and 25 more!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: 30 Days of Dark Sun "DVD extra": Athas.org

Postby Tim Baker » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:42 pm

I hadn't come across athas.org until you started posting about the 30 Days of Dark Sun. Thanks for increasing awareness!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Zeromaru X » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:53 pm

Same here. I didn't knew of Athas.org until I came to the Piazza. However, is good to see that fanbases like Athas.org and the Vaults of Pandius maintain those settings alive.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Big Mac » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:41 am

Tim Baker wrote:I hadn't come across athas.org until you started posting about the 30 Days of Dark Sun. Thanks for increasing awareness!

...and...

Zeromaru X wrote:Same here. I didn't knew of Athas.org until I came to the Piazza.

Most of the big D&D campaign settings have these websites. Wizards of the Coast made several of them into the official websites, but a few of them didn't get official status. I know them so well, that sometimes I forget that not everyone knows them.

I'm glad that the two of you have discovered The Burnt World of Athas. :)

Zeromaru X wrote:However, is good to see that fanbases like Athas.org and the Vaults of Pandius maintain those settings alive.

These websites are very special, as are the people like Raddu, Stanles, Dragonhelm and Static who look after them.

But what's more impressive...in some ways...are the people who have set up websites to support the more obscure D&D campaign settings.

These settings tnd to have a much smaller fanbase, so anyone who tries to create a website for them has to work a lot harder...and they still end up with less content. It's a real fight for those folk and they have to play the "long game" and think about fans they might meet one or two years down the line. I admire anyone who plays the "long game" and gets stuff made for an obscure D&D minority community. (I've had to play the "long game" myself, when I've been looking for fans who have wanted to see an old setting get more exposure so that new D&D fans can learn about it. I still have not found enough fans for a bespoke forum for Council of Wyrms or Jakandor. But I'll get there one day.)
Last edited by Big Mac on Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Zeromaru X » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:08 am

Council of the Wyrms. I have that book (and love it). But well, nothing strange there: dragons.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby Jayce » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:24 pm

I love Athas.org. They have released some high quality fan created content over the years, including of course their conversion of the setting to 3E. My favorite is probably their City-State of Draj guide.

Big Mac wrote: I still have not found enough fans for a bespoke forum for Council of Wyrms or Jakandor. But I'll get there one day.)

I would love to see a Council of Wyrms forum on here. It's a wonderful mini setting with tons of personality. I know next to nothing about Jakandor, however. If I remember correctly it was one of the mini-settings released under the AD&D Oddessey line during the late 2E-era (along with Tale of the Comet?)
Jayce
Hobgoblin

Postby Big Mac » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:51 am

Jayce wrote:I would love to see a Council of Wyrms forum on here. It's a wonderful mini setting with tons of personality. I know next to nothing about Jakandor, however. If I remember correctly it was one of the mini-settings released under the AD&D Oddessey line during the late 2E-era (along with Tale of the Comet?)

The Piazza has gained a Council of Wyrms forum, since your post. You might want to talk about Jakandor and Tale of the Comet in the Other Worlds forum, if you want to help either of them "win" their own bespoke forum.

But back to Athas.org and the cool things they have done. :cool:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby The Dark » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:43 am

Jayce wrote:I love Athas.org. They have released some high quality fan created content over the years, including of course their conversion of the setting to 3E. My favorite is probably their City-State of Draj guide.
Ditto. I'm a big setting guy (which is probably the only reason I have any nostalgia for 2e), and City-State of Draj was a great book for that.
The Dark
Troll

Return to Dark Sun