City-States of Athas

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

City-States of Athas

Postby The Dark » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:51 am

night_druid wrote:In an ideal world, I could see a 64-page book on each city-state.

In one of the older threads, Night Druid brought this up as an ideal for what should have happened in 2e. My question is, which city-states got sourcebooks, and where? I know Tyr had its own (City-State of Tyr), while Gulg and Nibenay were covered in The Ivory Triangle. I believe Giustenal is discussed in City by the Silt Sea, and Saragar is the subject of Mind Lords of the Last Sea. Draj got an unofficial-but-approved supplement for 3.x from Athas.org. What about the other city-states? Was anything done with Urik, Raam, or Balic beyond the couple pages of description in Veiled Alliance?
The Dark
Troll

Re: City-States of Athas

Postby agathokles » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:39 am

Urik features in the Arcane Shadows adventure.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:45 am

That's a great question.

Tyr got 96 pages, so it's over Night Druid's target.

Gulg and Nibnay only got 32 pages each, so I'm guessing that, by Night Druid's standard, we need a 32 page netbook to provide more information on each of them. ;-)

Giustenal is described in City by the Silt Sea, but I'm not sure how much of a description the ruins get there.

Saragar is in Mind Lords of the Last Sea, but that product, like City by the Silt Sea, also covers the surrounding area. So I'm not sure how much coverage the actual city gets.

Draj only gets 66 pages in The City-State of Draj, so we are just over Night Druid's target.

I wonder if The Burnt World of Athas ever had anyone working on any other city-state netbooks. :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:35 pm

Good gawd, I have no idea what the context of that comment was! :o ;)

64-pages is just a guideline. I think the point was "enough detail to give the PCs a good home base to work from". Each of the seven major city-state could use that treatment. Basic information - who rules, what the guard is like, who is the local fence, where can I rent a room, buy some gear, etc. And probably some details on the surrounding terrain to a distance of a day or two's hike. Effectively everything a DM needs to run a campaign out of that city.

Other city-states, such as Glustenal & Saragar don't need that level of detail (because neither, I suspect, are useful for anything more than an adventure or two before they get boring).
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby The Dark » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:39 am

night_druid wrote:Good gawd, I have no idea what the context of that comment was! :o ;)

64-pages is just a guideline. I think the point was "enough detail to give the PCs a good home base to work from". Each of the seven major city-state could use that treatment. Basic information - who rules, what the guard is like, who is the local fence, where can I rent a room, buy some gear, etc. And probably some details on the surrounding terrain to a distance of a day or two's hike. Effectively everything a DM needs to run a campaign out of that city.

Other city-states, such as Glustenal & Saragar don't need that level of detail (because neither, I suspect, are useful for anything more than an adventure or two before they get boring).
It's from...um...over seven years ago. I was a bit bored last night, and went poking through the whole Dark Sun portion of the forum.
The Dark
Troll

Postby night_druid » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:59 am

The Dark wrote:It's from...um...over seven years ago. I was a bit bored last night, and went poking through the whole Dark Sun portion of the forum.

Ah, ok, cool. I was just curious as to context is all :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Return to Dark Sun