Kled and the Dwarven Kingdom of Kemalok

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Kled and the Dwarven Kingdom of Kemalok

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:17 pm

As the topic says. I was reading Beyond the Prism Pentad (of which I only read The Verdant Passage), and I am at the 4th session of a Dark Sun campaign (13th Age rules, 4e and original DS boxed set as setting sources) and the references to the ruins of this ancient kingdom piqued my interest, as it's something my players might want to pursue later in the campaign (they just finished A Little Knowledge, and they got quite fond of the dwarves living there.) Was anything every published about Kemalok (and Kled?)

Thanks,
A.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: Kled and the Dwarven Kingdom of Kemalok

Postby Big Mac » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Legends of Athas and Dark Sun Core Rules: Chapter 10: Magic and Psionic Items both have information about Kemalok.

I bet there is other information on The Burnt World of Athas, but I don't know the best places to look.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Zeromaru X » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:39 pm

IIRC, Kemalok was the force that most resisted against the Champions of Rajaat. Borys' sword became a legendary item just because it was used to kill their king, but that didn't stopped the dwarven resistance. However, when Borys became the Dragon, he destroyed Kemalok during his rampage post-trasformation, and killed all the poor Kemalok dwarves to the last.
Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Postby The Dark » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:50 am

Other than what's in the first boxed set, I don't recall anything being published directly about Kemalok or Kled. Dragon #245 details the Book of the Kemalok Kings, which is lost (and may be on the Black or the Grey). It contains historical information from the Time of Magic to the death of Rkard, but in an ancient dwarvish language that nobody is fluent in.
The Dark
Troll

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:02 am

Thanks everyone! I knew about those sources; they don't add much beyond what is in the Psionic Artifacts of Athas sourcebook.

I am starting Freedom this week, and if the PCs survive, the idea is to go on with the DSQ series, possibly ending with DSE1. I'd like the PCs to get involved in the events of the Prism Pentad as well, but as main players, not as sidekicks or spectators (starting with the killing of Kalak; I have a halfling barbarian character who might replace Rikus quite well). And one thing which seems interesting, is allowing a the PCs to explore the ruins of Kemalok to hunt for the Book. Any suggestions on a dungeon which might be used as a proxy for it? I don't have a lot of time to develop stuff, so I'd rather reskin something already existing.

Thanks,
Antonio
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby The Dark » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:43 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:Thanks everyone! I knew about those sources; they don't add much beyond what is in the Psionic Artifacts of Athas sourcebook.

I am starting Freedom this week, and if the PCs survive, the idea is to go on with the DSQ series, possibly ending with DSE1. I'd like the PCs to get involved in the events of the Prism Pentad as well, but as main players, not as sidekicks or spectators (starting with the killing of Kalak; I have a halfling barbarian character who might replace Rikus quite well). And one thing which seems interesting, is allowing a the PCs to explore the ruins of Kemalok to hunt for the Book. Any suggestions on a dungeon which might be used as a proxy for it? I don't have a lot of time to develop stuff, so I'd rather reskin something already existing.

Thanks,
Antonio
B4 The Lost City? It's a buried city entered through a ziggurat, which would fit thematically.
The Dark
Troll

Postby rabindranath72 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:57 pm

The Dark wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:Thanks everyone! I knew about those sources; they don't add much beyond what is in the Psionic Artifacts of Athas sourcebook.

Thanks,
Antonio
B4 The Lost City? It's a buried city entered through a ziggurat, which would fit thematically.

That's a good suggestion; I also looked at Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. Sadly, one of my players is an old-school D&Der, and he knows most of the classics, so these twos are out, barring some heavy rewriting :/
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:08 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:And one thing which seems interesting, is allowing a the PCs to explore the ruins of Kemalok to hunt for the Book. Any suggestions on a dungeon which might be used as a proxy for it? I don't have a lot of time to develop stuff, so I'd rather reskin something already existing.

It would require some rewriting, but DL3 Dragons of Hope features a ruined dwarven city. It'd probably be filled with dwarven banshees instead of gully dwarves, which would change the tone considerably. Maybe there are a few other undead, maybe a gith tribe to add variety. Tul'ks might make a good replacement for gully dwarves, actually. Maybe Fistandantilus could be a kaisharga, an undead servant of Borys, kin to the Dead Lords who serve him now, and the shadow dragon could be a nightmare beast.

The 3rd edition adventure The Forge of Fury is also set in a ruined dwarven city, but that would require a lot of monster-swapping too.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby apotheot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:44 am

Dungeon Magazine #60 The Shards of the Day has an excursion into a ancient dwarven city with an unpronounceable name which could easily be re-skinned to Dark Sun. The quest might not work as written, but that is up to you.
-Apotheot.
apotheot
Ogre

Return to Dark Sun