Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs errata? Specifically, NWPs.

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs errata? Specifically, NWPs.

Postby thorr-kan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:51 pm

I collect nonweapon proficiencies. Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs has a bunch.

But there's not table for costs or stats. Was there errata issued for this? My Google-fu has come up with nothing. My Dragon Magazine Archive doesn't show anything.

(ETA: Clarified title.)
Last edited by thorr-kan on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thorr-kan
Bugbear

Re: Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs errata?

Postby Lord Sheriff Takari » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:01 pm

depends on the edition you seek
generally, most Proficiencies require 1 slot unless it is unusually complex or has a pronounced learning curve
such as Armor smithing or weaponsmithing which have a sizable apprenticeship requirements
controlling a flying mount <Ride - Air based Prof.> which is far more difficult than riding a Horse
it may require some additional leg work and digging into
but looking at the real life version of the Proficiency will give you insight into how many slots you feel it needs for base proficiency
like Navigation <land based, Water/sea or Spelljamming/space>
the basic principles of Navigation can be taught in a day or two such as reading a map and how to use a Compass <or other requisite tools>
such classes can be found today in the Scouts <Boy and Girl> your local Back Woods Hiking organization/Group or the Military
whereas Survival Training takes considerably longer due to environmental region specific requirements <Woods/Forest, Plains/Savannah, Desert, Mountains>
Lord Sheriff Takari
Gnoll

Postby apotheot » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:16 pm

an oddity. You would think they would at least say which stat the new proficiencies were attached to and what the modifiers (if any were). Even more confusing, some do not even get mentioned again other than their initial mention....the Winddancer rogue kit doesn't even have Winddancing proficiency listed as required, bonus, or recommended.... I get the feeling the proficiencies were added to the book late and they just missed some things.
Someone should ask Monte Cook.
-Apotheot
apotheot
Ogre

Postby apotheot » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:35 pm

Someone on the Dark Sun Facebook group proposed this fix:

Christopher Justin Moneymaker: Ok I'm waiting for the excedrin to kick in and got rid of my headache, while I'm setting here I'll work out what the slots, check/mod should be for these non-weapon proficiencies should be.
When looking at them and comparing them to existing NWPs, I'd saw cliff fight could be as difficult to master, and use similar notions as blind fighting. make this a warrior group proficiency even though Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs, says they are all in the general group.
Life shaping, is extremely complex, and requires lots of memorization, so I would make it similar to weaponsmithing.
Ritual Knowledge would be much like etiquette, only a little more complicated, so I would make it a 2 sloter.
Tending is very much like animal handling.
Winddancing, I would say it like what we call in the real world "free running". Harder than dancing or tumbling. I would make this a rogue group proficiency even though Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs, says they are all in the general group.
Windriding is very much like riding airborne.
General. # of slots Check

Life Shaping. 3. Int-3
Ritual knowledge 2. Cha 0
Tending. 1. Wis-1
Windriding. 2. Wis-2

Rogue

Windancing. 1. Dex-2

Warrior

Cliff Fighting. 2. na/na

-Apotheot
apotheot
Ogre

Re: Windriders of the Jagged Cliffs errata? Specifically, N

Postby thorr-kan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Hey, apotheot, thanks for posting that question to FB. Barring any other errata showing up, I will probably go with those suggestions.

When I asked a similar question about _A Guide to the Astral Plane_, an answer crept out of Sage Advice 3 years later. (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9758)

Maybe I should post my own decision here and conjure another Sage Advice article from Dragon, eh? :)
thorr-kan
Bugbear

Return to Dark Sun