[Crimson Sphere] Updates?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

[Crimson Sphere] Updates?

Postby night_druid » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Ah what the hell. Just start a new thread on this subject and make it a side project to tackle when I have time.

OK, the Crimson Sphere has been out there for a couple of years, and probably needs an update. So does anyone want to chime in with some ideas? Here's what I want to change & updated:

Helms: I think a psionic version of the Splendid Sails works better here. Limited landing abilities, and slow. It would fit dark sun better than trying to shoe-horn a psionic-style spelljamming helm in. Landing on a planet should be more a psionic ability, perhaps one that chews through PSPs quickly; only VERY powerful groups can land a ship (& take off again!) on Athas.

Places to Visit: Expand out the cities; give each more detail. Add some more places where a ship can land & explore. Ideas are welcomed! Anyone have any ideas for cool planets/asteroids with a dark sun flavor? Maybe even do a map of the sphere, with lots of tans and yellows.

Ships: Maybe a bit better system for them, with deckplans and illustrations. I'm thinking scorpion, mosquito, dragonfly, & wasp as the primary ships, but possibly smaller than their SJ counterparts. Weaker, too. No weapons, little wood, just insect husks. Possibly an elf-style ship as well, just smaller & more twisted looking.

Monsters: Some new dark sun inspired monsters. Maybe something that lurks in that "Gulf of Night", and some other creatures to challenge PCs. All ears here, although I'd imagine insectile creatures should rule the roost! ;)

Anyways, if anyone has some ideas, don't hesitate to post! :mrgreen:

Some more ramblely notes I wanted to get down before I forgot:
Wizards - perservers/defilers really don't make sense on-ship. So I've got two ideas: 1) they draw magic from the void itself; probably not as potent as drawing from life, but a power source &/or 2) Husk channelers. Basically, since all the ships are made from insect husks, they bind the insect's undead spirit to the husk, which they can use for power. Requires them to be in range of the husk, and limited scope in power.

Some world where giant insects are common.

A (lightly) forested moon of canniblistic ewoks, er, halflings ;) Maybe kinda like earth in the pre-dinosaur era.

Make the illithids all undead horrors

A deserted elven crown base, now dead & dessicated
Last edited by night_druid on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: [Crimson Sphere] Updates?

Postby Idabrius » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:14 pm

As a note about the Psionic version of the Splendid Sails, there IS a known psionic propulsion method for sandships. I have forgotten what module they are presented in, but they appear as large black obsidian orbs that psionicists (particularly the Sorcerer Kings) can use to motivate a vessel through the Sea of Dust. This would suggest that it has the power not only to provide forward motion but also lateral (as the Sea is very porous, and a ship would normally just sink to the bottom.)

The upside of this is that precedent exists and, given a little time I can locate which module the thing is located in and how it works.

10th Age books on Lulu
10th Age and 2e downloads on the Frothing Mug

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.
Idabrius
Hill Giant

Postby night_druid » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Idabrius wrote:As a note about the Psionic version of the Splendid Sails, there IS a known psionic propulsion method for sandships. I have forgotten what module they are presented in, but they appear as large black obsidian orbs that psionicists (particularly the Sorcerer Kings) can use to motivate a vessel through the Sea of Dust. This would suggest that it has the power not only to provide forward motion but also lateral (as the Sea is very porous, and a ship would normally just sink to the bottom.)

The upside of this is that precedent exists and, given a little time I can locate which module the thing is located in and how it works.

Either Dragon Crown, the one that details Ur Drax, or the merchant supplement. I know what you're talking about; I have it. It was about the time when I wrote the Crimson Sphere that I picked up a boat-load of Darksun products. I have most of the ones covering the era between the first and second boxed sets, but not much after that. I like the pre-revised setting, but not as fond of the revised setting, truth be told ;)
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Idabrius » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:44 pm

As another note, would it be interesting to have something like a "forest ship" or somesuch, to provide Defilers with a source of power? IF the Spelljammers aren't very advanced perhaps this wouldn't work but all it would take is something like a single living tree that Defilers would have to be careful about killing through overuse. Just tossin' it out there.

And I agree with you on the revised setting.

10th Age books on Lulu
10th Age and 2e downloads on the Frothing Mug

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.
Idabrius
Hill Giant

Postby night_druid » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:16 am

Idabrius wrote:As another note, would it be interesting to have something like a "forest ship" or somesuch, to provide Defilers with a source of power? IF the Spelljammers aren't very advanced perhaps this wouldn't work but all it would take is something like a single living tree that Defilers would have to be careful about killing through overuse. Just tossin' it out there.

You might have missed an edit I did up above; just an idea, nothing more

Wizards - perservers/defilers really don't make sense on-ship. So I've got two ideas: 1) they draw magic from the void itself; probably not as potent as drawing from life, but a power source &/or 2) Husk channelers. Basically, since all the ships are made from insect husks, they bind the insect's undead spirit to the husk, which they can use for power. Requires them to be in range of the husk, and limited scope in power.

Could possibly work as 10-level class or somesuch. ;)

And I agree with you on the revised setting.

Heh. :)
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:34 am

night_druid wrote:Ah what the hell. Just start a new thread on this subject and make it a side project to tackle when I have time.

Yay! 8-)

night_druid wrote:OK, the Crimson Sphere has been out there for a couple of years, and probably needs an update. So does anyone want to chime in with some ideas?

I'll chip in with a couple.

night_druid wrote:Here's what I want to change & updated:

Helms: I think a psionic version of the Splendid Sails works better here. Limited landing abilities, and slow. It would fit dark sun better than trying to shoe-horn a psionic-style spelljamming helm in. Landing on a planet should be more a psionic ability, perhaps one that chews through PSPs quickly; only VERY powerful groups can land a ship (& take off again!) on Athas.

Hmm. If you want to chew PSPs quickly, then how about a low cost for "spelljamming speed", but a high cost for "tactical speed"? That would make Psijammer helm combat be about hanging onto your own PSPs until the other guy has run out of his.

night_druid wrote:Places to Visit: Expand out the cities; give each more detail. Add some more places where a ship can land & explore. Ideas are welcomed! Anyone have any ideas for cool planets/asteroids with a dark sun flavor? Maybe even do a map of the sphere, with lots of tans and yellows.

Extra places would be fantastic. I would love to see large areas that could (potentially) be almost as complex as Athas itself.

I know your theme is mostly dark, but it might be nice to have at least one small area that the Preservers have turned into a well protected "nature reserve".

night_druid wrote:Ships: Maybe a bit better system for them, with deckplans and illustrations. I'm thinking scorpion, mosquito, dragonfly, & wasp as the primary ships, but possibly smaller than their SJ counterparts. Weaker, too. No weapons, little wood, just insect husks.

Nice. Personally, I say make them living "ships" and have the defilers slowly "jam ships to death".

night_druid wrote:Possibly an elf-style ship as well, just smaller & more twisted looking.

Hmm. I say give them actual elf ships (of all sizes) and make local defiling magic shrink the ships up and dry them out. Ultimately, it could be fun if defiling totally destroyed elven spelljamming ships. We could maybe make a drow group that hijacks ships from preserver elves.

night_druid wrote:Monsters: Some new dark sun inspired monsters. Maybe something that lurks in that "Gulf of Night", and some other creatures to challenge PCs. All ears here, although I'd imagine insectile creatures should rule the roost! ;)

I'd like to see a few more iconic SJ monsters after they get a Dark Sun makeover.

night_druid wrote:Anyways, if anyone has some ideas, don't hesitate to post! :mrgreen:

Will do. :D

night_druid wrote:Some more ramblely notes I wanted to get down before I forgot:

Hmm. "No sense in using a defiler"? But that takes away the possiblity of helmsmen that actually kill their ships! :twisted:

night_druid wrote:Some world where giant insects are common.

Sounds interesting. You could also throw in a water world with giant fish (to give us living/undead hammerships). :D

night_druid wrote:A (lightly) forested moon of canniblistic ewoks, er, halflings ;) Maybe kinda like earth in the pre-dinosaur era.

It would be nice to see some evil preservers. How about a group of halflings that are preserving sorcerers. They could hunt down and kill wizards, before eating them to "absorb their power"?

night_druid wrote:Make the illithids all undead horrors

Interesting way to go. Are you sure you want to make them all undead? You could split them into two groups and have a small groundling living-illithid group that gets raided by the undead group. The undead illithids could be after new "recruits" and it could be a one-way recruitment process.

night_druid wrote:A deserted elven crown base, now dead & dessicated

Hmm. See that feels like defiling to me.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Crimson Sphere] Updates? - Psijamming

Postby Big Mac » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:
night_druid wrote:Helms: I think a psionic version of the Splendid Sails works better here. Limited landing abilities, and slow. It would fit dark sun better than trying to shoe-horn a psionic-style spelljamming helm in. Landing on a planet should be more a psionic ability, perhaps one that chews through PSPs quickly; only VERY powerful groups can land a ship (& take off again!) on Athas.

Hmm. If you want to chew PSPs quickly, then how about a low cost for "spelljamming speed", but a high cost for "tactical speed"? That would make Psijammer helm combat be about hanging onto your own PSPs until the other guy has run out of his.

BTW: As take-off and landing are both done at tactical speed, this would automatically include the dangers you want to include. The main problem, is going to be that every planet will then incur a minimum "PSP" cost for take off or landing. So I think you are going to need to be a bit careful about working out how much it costs to psijam.

With the big focus on psionics in the Dark Sun campaign setting, I think you could actually make psijamming the major method of moving ships about the sphere. Conventional spelljamming helms could be rare. Spells to make spelljamming helms could be unknown, but methods to make psijamming helms could be relatively common.

If the entire focus of the Crimson Sphere was to change from spelljamming to psijamming, you could even build use of PSPs into the system in a deeper way.

How about letting each psijammer become "one with the ship" and allow them to continue to use their regular psionic abilities while moving the ship?

Each psijamming ship could act as a focus that allows its helmsman to project out his psionic powers and use them to attack nearby ships and creatures. (I'd even be tempted to bump up the range of certain powers, to get them to fit in with ship to ship combat.) Essentially, you could have a helmsman who can zap other helmsmen, or cause damage to their ships. But if all combat burned up PSPs (as usual), then fighting another ship (or a space creature) might rob a helmsman of the PSPs they need to land safely.

In wildspace, ships may occasionally need to float about for a day while their helmsman regains enough PSPs to be able to land. That would make them vulnerable to attack by opportunistic creatures.

This sphere could be the definitive psijamming crystal sphere and we could build up an entirely new system based on spelljamming and psionics.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Crimson Sphere] Updates? - The Gulf of Night

Postby Big Mac » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:21 pm

Big Mac wrote:
night_druid wrote:Monsters: Some new dark sun inspired monsters. Maybe something that lurks in that "Gulf of Night", and some other creatures to challenge PCs. All ears here, although I'd imagine insectile creatures should rule the roost! ;)

I'd like to see a few more iconic SJ monsters after they get a Dark Sun makeover.

The "Gulf of Night" is a better name than your previous name: "Black Gulf". It just sounds more "real".

You could actually make the Gulf of Night smaller than the previous Black Gulf, but give it an atmosphere, so that all ships travel through it at tactical speed.

I think the creatures inside the Gulf of Night should mostly operate on blindsight and blindsense. They should also be light sensitive (as you previously said).

You hint at some monsters for the Black Gulf, but I think your Gulf of Night creatures need to be fully detailed.

One of these creatures must be a new type of scavver! If the Gulf of Night is actually "black air" then you could take the Sky Scavver (from SJR4 Practical Planetology), give it psionic powers and make it detect and hunt down psionic helmsmen. How about calling it a Gulf Scavver?

I think you should also have random asteroids floating around within the Gulf of Night and create some sentient creatures who can actually have their own spelljamming (or psijamming) ships. IIRC, the gith were groundlings in Dark Sun, so how about some heavily rebooted Pirates of Gith? Alternatively (or additionally) you could have some rebooted drow.

I think that Blind Elves (or maybe Gulf Elves) who see via blindsight rather than darkvision could actually be fun. You could create a twisted version of the Elven Imperial Navy that patrols around the Gulf of Night, trying to hunt down and kill the local spacefaring gith. That could turn the entire area into a "war zone" with anyone flying through it subject to random attacks from either navy.

And the real beauty of the system is that if both sides of a Black War were totally blind (and reliant on blindsight and/or blindsense) they probably couldn't see the flags of "neutral" ships. All they would know, was that the ships were not like the ships of "their side" and were not giving out the recognition signals. I can even see gith killing crews and stealing their ships, to build up a navy. If that was the case, then any non-elven ship would be suspicious to a Blind Elf captain. :twisted:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:32 pm

Big Mac wrote:I'll chip in with a couple.

Cool.

That might work. Kinda like physics...it acceleration/deceleration/changing direction that eats up energy rather than going forward.

Extra places would be fantastic. I would love to see large areas that could (potentially) be almost as complex as Athas itself.

I know your theme is mostly dark, but it might be nice to have at least one small area that the Preservers have turned into a well protected "nature reserve".

Such groves should be small and almost impossible to find.

Nice. Personally, I say make them living "ships" and have the defilers slowly "jam ships to death".

I'm not sure defilers make sense for the sphere or not. I think there may be another way to do wizards ;)

Hmm. I say give them actual elf ships (of all sizes) and make local defiling magic shrink the ships up and dry them out. Ultimately, it could be fun if defiling totally destroyed elven spelljamming ships. We could maybe make a drow group that hijacks ships from preserver elves.

Eh, I don't want to do that, simply because one big aspect of the sphere is the small size of ships. I figure on average 6-12 crewmen at most, with 20+ being a very big ship.

Hmm. "No sense in using a defiler"? But that takes away the possiblity of helmsmen that actually kill their ships! :twisted:

With limited living resources, kinda makes defiling difficult ;)

Sounds interesting. You could also throw in a water world with giant fish (to give us living/undead hammerships). :D

No water worlds...its a dry sphere. ;)

It would be nice to see some evil preservers. How about a group of halflings that are preserving sorcerers. They could hunt down and kill wizards, before eating them to "absorb their power"?

<shrug>Can work. Have to research.

Interesting way to go. Are you sure you want to make them all undead? You could split them into two groups and have a small groundling living-illithid group that gets raided by the undead group. The undead illithids could be after new "recruits" and it could be a one-way recruitment process.

I'm thinking that illithids shouldn't just be regular joe illithids. I'm thinking there should be only a couple of them, maybe nine or so, all undead. They hide out in a fortress somewhere. What they do is use their insanely powerful psionic abilities to "imprint" themselves on slaves, basically burying loyal personalities deep inside the psyche & turn them loose to spy and otherwise do the dirty work for the illithids. Also makes them creepier. :lol:
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:13 pm

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Hmm. If you want to chew PSPs quickly, then how about a low cost for "spelljamming speed", but a high cost for "tactical speed"? That would make Psijammer helm combat be about hanging onto your own PSPs until the other guy has run out of his.

That might work. Kinda like physics...it acceleration/deceleration/changing direction that eats up energy rather than going forward.

Sounds workable (just don't encourage the SJ is science brigade with four letter words like physics ;) ).

You could even replace spells like Enhance Manouverability, with a psijamming skill/feat/whatever, that allows people to "oversteer" a ship by burning additional PSPs. Maybe, everyone could "push SJ ships beyond their normal limits" by burning out their PSPs faster. That could make your small ships make more sense, as they could be a lot easier to "push". Maybe big ships still work, but they use so many PSPs that nobody wants to touch them.

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Extra places would be fantastic. I would love to see large areas that could (potentially) be almost as complex as Athas itself.

Such groves should be small and almost impossible to find.

They could be hidden by powerful magical illusions, or even buried deep inside hollowed out asteroids.

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Nice. Personally, I say make them living "ships" and have the defilers slowly "jam ships to death".

I'm not sure defilers make sense for the sphere or not. I think there may be another way to do wizards ;)

I'm not 100 percent sure where the 3e DS conversion team were taking defiling, as it has been a while since I looked at it. But I really do think it needs looking at.

We need to be able to have people come into the sphere from outside. And if wizards are (by default) defilers, then any helmsman who flys into the sphere on a normal spelljamming ship, could actually start defiling as soon as he passes the sphere wall.

If defiling was the default type of wizard spelljamming, then you could actually make it slowly cause damage to the ships that spelljamming helms were mounted upon. Wood could slowly rot away as its moisture content is stolen. A circle of dryness could slowly spread out from the helm and spacefarers could realise things were wrong when stair treads started to break and belaying pins started to crumble.

Do something like that and you don't need to keep spelljamming helms out of the sphere as they would (mostly) get rid of themselves.

EDIT: I've just realised that you could literally make helms get rid of themselves if defiling magic was to attack the helm itself and make it slowly crumble to dust. :idea:

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Hmm. I say give them actual elf ships (of all sizes) and make local defiling magic shrink the ships up and dry them out. Ultimately, it could be fun if defiling totally destroyed elven spelljamming ships. We could maybe make a drow group that hijacks ships from preserver elves.

Eh, I don't want to do that, simply because one big aspect of the sphere is the small size of ships. I figure on average 6-12 crewmen at most, with 20+ being a very big ship.

Well, you did say you wanted a dead elven crown base. So I think you do need to have a "normal" elven fleet here. But if you throw my idea into the past, you can have an elven fleet that quickly burns its own ships out. (I can't see any other way to have a dead crown station, apart from having a dead elven fleet.)

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Hmm. "No sense in using a defiler"? But that takes away the possiblity of helmsmen that actually kill their ships! :twisted:

With limited living resources, kinda makes defiling difficult ;)

I know. But I'm not saying: "don't make defiling difficult", I'm saying: "use defiling to burn up ships that come into the sphere". Defiling them becomes a control mecanism that gets rid of the ships that are not your "local ships". Throw in more standard ships and defiling becomes easier, and more defilers spelljam and burn up the outsider ships quicker. Have the defilers burn out most outsider ships and arcane spelljamming becomes difficult and psijamming takes over again.

Defiling could then be something like a 1-5 percent activity in wildspace. And I do like the idea of running something like a Death Helm backwards and making it kill the ship (instead of the helmsman).

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Sounds interesting. You could also throw in a water world with giant fish (to give us living/undead hammerships). :D

No water worlds...its a dry sphere. ;)

Bah! And I'd have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you pesky meddling kids! ;)

OK, my mistake. Maybe you can stick a small slightly-damp and higly-salty asteroid in there instead of a regular water world. :lol:

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:It would be nice to see some evil preservers. How about a group of halflings that are preserving sorcerers. They could hunt down and kill wizards, before eating them to "absorb their power"?

<shrug>Can work. Have to research.

Minor and Major Helms that "defile their ships to death" could be the control mecanism for outsider ships. And this sort of group could be the control mecanism for outsider wizards! :twisted:

Essentially, you could allow any outside influence into the Crimson Sphere, but create something nasty that eats it! :lol: :twisted:

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

I'm thinking that illithids shouldn't just be regular joe illithids. I'm thinking there should be only a couple of them, maybe nine or so, all undead. They hide out in a fortress somewhere. What they do is use their insanely powerful psionic abilities to "imprint" themselves on slaves, basically burying loyal personalities deep inside the psyche & turn them loose to spy and otherwise do the dirty work for the illithids. Also makes them creepier. :lol:

Only nine of them? If that is the case, then I would suggest you have a nautiloid, from outside the Crimson Sphere, fly into the Gulf of Night and crash on an asteroid. You could then make them hide out from both sides of a Black War, while hijacking random outsider spelljamming ships to build up their forces.

Or for added fun, they don't hijack a ship. They help it get through the Gulf of Night. But they only help it get through if they have successfully managed to brainwash one of the crew. If nobody submits to their brainwashing they let the other dangers of the Gulf of Night take out the ship. This second tactic could give them a range of spys that are scattered around the sphere. :twisted:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:41 pm

RE: Wizards

One thing to keep in mind is that even in normal Dark Sun lore, wizards are much weaker than in standard D&D worlds. In part, because of their means of powering spells, their limited spell access, and most importantly, the fact that everyone hates their guts, perservers and defilers alike. I don't think they were ever meant to be numerous; a handful per city, all of whom hide and never cast spells in the open. Really, the only time they have a chance to cast spells is out in the wilderness; in cities, they just hide a lot. So I may go with the tact that they're very rare in wildspace.
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby night_druid » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:07 pm

RE: Elven Imperial Fleet

Here's an idea that just hit me; just throwing it together.

The Crimson Queen

One site of the Crimson Sphere to be avoided at all costs is a vast, strange ship shaped like a enormous insect with broad, colorful wings. Those few who have escaped this ship report it to be a ship of horrors. When they first board, they are greeted by polite elves dressed in silvery uniforms, who offer wine and roasted meats and invite them to stay. Slowly, over a course of time (nobody can really say; time flows differently on the Queen), the true nature of the ship becomes apparent. The splendor is an illusion. The elves are in fact, undead or demons, creations of the ship itself, which is an undead monstrosity. Visitors are subjected to illusionary horrors, preying especially on painful memories such as lost loved ones or abusive parents/masters. One by one, it drives them to madness and subjects them to terrible torture. Even death does not release them from this horror, for their souls become bound to the Queen, forever serving as insane, undead crewmen.

In game terms, the Queen is a monarch Armada. Her captain is basically a lich who can only be destroyed (and released from his torment) by the destruction of the ship. The crewmen are specters. Every day visitors spend aboard the ship, they are subjected to one illusionary attack, particularly when they are alone. Failing a save drives them towards insanity. The crew will work to prevent their escape, such as sabotaging the PCs' ship, attempts by comely elves at seduction, or even directly overpowering them, if necessary. If the illusions can be seen through, the ship appears ancient and decayed, the crewmen as mummy-like creatures, and the food as spoiled and disgusting. The ship itself has powerful psionic abilities (at least on par with a 20th level psion).

Think Event Horizon as the inspiration (although I've never seen that movie :P )
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby night_druid » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Although not finished, here's the updated entry for Athas itself. Anyone have any ideas on its moons, Guthay & Ral?

Athas
Medium (E) Spherical Earth Body
Climate: Hot Desert
Orbital Position: Inner Orbital Track #5
Day Length: 24 standard hours
Year Length: 365 standard days
Native Races: Humans, demi-humans, humanoids

Below you, a dusty ball of yellows and browns comes into view. There is precious little cloud cover; the world’s harsh beauty is laid bare. No oceans are visible; only endless expanses of what you can only assume are wide deserts, mountain ranges, and badlands.

The world of the Dark Sun, Athas is a vast, barren landscape of endless deserts, vanished seas, and vast rifts where magma boils. The primary world of the sphere, it is detailed extensively in the Dark Sun line of products from TSR.

Few ships from the Crimson Sphere visit Athas these days. Athas is a dangerous place to approach, with risks that almost always outweigh any benefit. As a whole, Athas is covered by vast, uninhabitable deserts that separate small pockets of civilization. One such area, the Tyr Region, detailed in the Dark Sun product line, is somewhat a “garden spot” for the planet, where life is found in relative abundance. As the area is dominated by powerful Sorcerer-Kings, it is also one of the most dangerous.

Athas’ upper atmosphere is very dangerous, with high winds that can shred most ships in an instant. Only a well-prepared ship, with strong crewmen, can hope to travel through the high velocity winds to land on or take off from Athas.

Landmarks
The Tablelands: One of the “garden spots” of Athas, the Tablelands is the location of seven powerful city-states. Each is, or was, ruled by a powerful Sorcerer King (rumors abound that one or more of these monarchs has perished).

Crimson Savannah: This wide open plain is the location of countless packs of thri-kreen. The kreen are said to be unified into a single, grand empire, and even makes irregular contact with kreen who inhabit the other worlds of the Crimson Sphere.

The Last Sea: Many leagues north of the Tablelands is rumored to be a small sea, the largest left on Athas. Little is known about this place, for none have returned who venture near it.

The Eye of the Dragon: This vast storm of ash and smoke surrounds a large, verdant plateau. While the plateau appears inviting, the storms surrounding it (including the sky above it) are particularly perilous.

Native Creatures
Athas’ bizarre flora and fauna are better detailed in the Dark Sun Monstrous Manuals. Most of the creatures have adapted to the harsh desert life; those that did not perished long ago. Reptiles, flightless birds, and giant insects are very common, while mammals are rare.

Guide to Groundlings
Athas is home to innumerable races, with humans, dwarves, elves, muls, halflings, giants, and thri-kreen being the most prominent. Many other races, such as orcs, trolls, gnomes and others are completely absent. Slavery is commonplace; countless slaves toil away in the fields and cities of ruthless Sorcerer-Kings.

Other regions are just as harsh as the Tablelands. A large area is ruled by teeming plagues of ever-hungry thri-kreen. Undead dominate a vast region near the southern pole. There are legends of pocket paradises, although these are well-guarded and hidden from view, even from above.

Resources and Trade
Athas’ resources are scarce and primitive. There are few sources of metals and gemstones; copper, gold, and iron are highly prized. In some cases, particularly iron and gold, there is but one operable mine of each of these metals. Ore is tightly controlled by powerful factions that tolerate no challenge to their monopolies. Other resources commonly traded include wood, food, livestock, silk, and salt.

There are few, if any, ships that make regular stops at Athas. Most commonly, trips to Athas involve fairly powerful individuals and crews (read: adventurers) who need to visit a city state for some reason, either for information, to purchase or sell a powerful magic item, or in pursuit of adventure. Less powerful merchants and travelers avoid the planet and its dangers at all costs.

Ports of Call
Nibenay: This large city is found near the heart of the Tyr Region, at the edge of one of the region’s last forests. Its monarch is the Shadow King, a reclusive monarch with little interest in the daily affairs of his people. This makes Nibenay an ideal place to visit for merchants, for there are fewer questions about where goods come from or where travelers hail from.

Tyr: If rumors are true, Tyr is a free city, its king slain in a slave uprising. These same rumors hint that the city is readily open for trade, even if the political situation is volatile and prone to sweeping shifts of power. Merchants and travels must be careful while visiting and are advised to land well outside the city and travel inland on foot or on mounts.
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:58 pm

night_druid wrote:RE: Wizards

One thing to keep in mind is that even in normal Dark Sun lore, wizards are much weaker than in standard D&D worlds. In part, because of their means of powering spells, their limited spell access, and most importantly, the fact that everyone hates their guts, perservers and defilers alike. I don't think they were ever meant to be numerous; a handful per city, all of whom hide and never cast spells in the open. Really, the only time they have a chance to cast spells is out in the wilderness; in cities, they just hide a lot. So I may go with the tact that they're very rare in wildspace.

Hmm. Maybe that is the way to go.

Spacefaring communities might have more of a dependence upon wizards (to push ships through space), so they might have a bit more acceptance than on the ground.

I'm not sure how the Dark Sun 3e team is dealing with sorcerers, but I've always been tempted to make that a new form of magic that has recently traveled from sphere to sphere via spelljamming.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:04 pm

night_druid wrote:Although not finished, here's the updated entry for Athas itself. Anyone have any ideas on its moons, Guthay & Ral?

In what respect? Are you asking for information about the canon or ideas for development.

night_druid wrote:Few ships from the Crimson Sphere visit Athas these days. Athas is a dangerous place to approach, with risks that almost always outweigh any benefit. As a whole, Athas is covered by vast, uninhabitable deserts that separate small pockets of civilization. One such area, the Tyr Region, detailed in the Dark Sun product line, is somewhat a “garden spot” for the planet, where life is found in relative abundance. As the area is dominated by powerful Sorcerer-Kings, it is also one of the most dangerous.

Athas’ upper atmosphere is very dangerous, with high winds that can shred most ships in an instant. Only a well-prepared ship, with strong crewmen, can hope to travel through the high velocity winds to land on or take off from Athas.

I would suggest that one of the "hazards" of Athas would be that many of the powerful groundling organisations and individuals are so power-hungry that they will attempt to hijack a spelljamming ship, so that they can turn it against their foes.

Perhaps there should be some sort of mutual blockade of Athas, by off-worlders who want to keep the Sorcerer-Kings in their place.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:06 pm

Big Mac wrote:Spacefaring communities might have more of a dependence upon wizards (to push ships through space), so they might have a bit more acceptance than on the ground.

Not really, since most helms are psi-driven. And don't forget clerics/druids/templers; wizards aren't exactly required ;)

RE: Ral & Guthay...
In what respect? Are you asking for information about the canon or ideas for development.

Both.

I would suggest that one of the "hazards" of Athas would be that many of the powerful groundling organisations and individuals are so power-hungry that they will attempt to hijack a spelljamming ship, so that they can turn it against their foes.

I see that as always being a hazard, no matter what world you land on (unless its Disneyworld, and even then...;) )

Perhaps there should be some sort of mutual blockade of Athas, by off-worlders who want to keep the Sorcerer-Kings in their place.

More likely they're scared to death of the sorcerer-kings. ;)
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:55 pm

night_druid wrote:RE: Ral & Guthay...
Big Mac wrote:In what respect? Are you asking for information about the canon or ideas for development.

Both.

Hmm. Well, I've looked at the unofficial Dark Sun wiki and the Burnt World of Athas and I can't find any reference of these moons. :?

I get my best inspiration from spinning off of what is already there.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:07 pm

Big Mac wrote:Hmm. Well, I've looked at the unofficial Dark Sun wiki and the Burnt World of Athas and I can't find any reference of these moons. :?

I get my best inspiration from spinning off of what is already there.

I don't want to contradict anything already out there. Via google, about all I've uncovered is this:

Ral is smaller (about moon-sized), green, and closer of the moons. Lunar month of 33 days. Not much else.

Guthay is larger (about mars-sized?), orange(?), and further of the two moons. Lunar month of 125 days. Suggestions that this moon be a gas giant that Athas orbits. Has "horns" that appear infrequently, and cause storms to happen on Athas(? From 'Rise & Fall of a Dragonking', IIRC).
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:49 pm

night_druid wrote:I don't want to contradict anything already out there.

Me neither.

night_druid wrote:Via google, about all I've uncovered is this:

Ral is smaller (about moon-sized), green, and closer of the moons. Lunar month of 33 days. Not much else.

Sounds like a fairly normal moon. I'm sure someone with a degree of mathematical skill, could estimate an orbital distance for a 33 day orbit, then look at a picture of Ral and estimate its diameter.

The green colour could perhaps be a combination of sandy deserts and a slight blue tint to the sky.

Unless some canon (or popular fanon) said otherwise, I would probably suggest that Ral was made to be fairly similar to Athas. This would allow you to create a spacefaring version of the sort of society you get on Athas. That civilisation could then be the major port of the area and could soak up any traffic heading towards Athas.

night_druid wrote:Guthay is larger (about mars-sized?), orange(?), and further of the two moons. Lunar month of 125 days. Suggestions that this moon be a gas giant that Athas orbits. Has "horns" that appear infrequently, and cause storms to happen on Athas (? From 'Rise & Fall of a Dragonking', IIRC).

Again a person with mathematical skill could estimate the orbital distance and size of this planet.

The Horns of Guthray might be a ring system as seen from Athas. Then again, with the Spelljammer universe, they literally could be horns. Maybe the moon has giant volcanoes that throw stuff up into space and cause storms on both Athas and Ral.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:00 pm

Big Mac wrote:Sounds like a fairly normal moon. I'm sure someone with a degree of mathematical skill, could estimate an orbital distance for a 33 day orbit, then look at a picture of Ral and estimate its diameter.

Not sure I really need to work out the exact distance or size; I'll leave that to others. :) I think it was worked out by the guy who did the Merchant's Calendar (where I got the 33/125 day lunar months).

The green colour could perhaps be a combination of sandy deserts and a slight blue tint to the sky.

Green color could be from various sources (copper in the soil/sky, for example). Heck, we just discovered Mercury is blue, so it could mean anything ;)

Unless some canon (or popular fanon) said otherwise, I would probably suggest that Ral was made to be fairly similar to Athas. This would allow you to create a spacefaring version of the sort of society you get on Athas. That civilisation could then be the major port of the area and could soak up any traffic heading towards Athas.

That's sorta what I'm thinking. Maybe absent some races, and more wild & savage than Athas (few, if any, cities/villages).

The Horns of Guthray might be a ring system as seen from Athas. Then again, with the Spelljammer universe, they literally could be horns. Maybe the moon has giant volcanoes that throw stuff up into space and cause storms on both Athas and Ral.

Looks like the proper term is "crown", and herald mountain floods. Post where I found that info suggests faint rings that only become visible when Guthay orbits close to Athas (and causing tides to rise). Sounds pretty good to me.
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby night_druid » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:42 pm

Well, here's what I have for Ral. About halfway done, maybe 2/3rds. In short, I envision an almost totally dead world; there's life here, but the whole moon is sorta like the badlands of Athas. No cities, only a temporary tent village that appears & disappears every month. Will need to develop a little on why adventurers would come to this desolated place ;)

Ral
Small (D) Spherical Earth Body
Climate: Hot Desert
Day Length: 33 standard hours
Year Length: 33 standard days
Native Races: Humans, demi-humans, humanoids

This small world is a swirl of green and russet. There are precious few clouds and no signs of oceans or seas, only mountains, open plains, and barren deserts. Signs of civilization are completely absent from this high up.

The smaller and closer of Athas’ moons, Ral just barely qualifies as a “small” planet. Ral has a breathable atmosphere, although one that is much thinner than that of Athas. The moon experiences frequent dust storms that can cover as much as a third of the moon at once, and last for weeks. The winds on Ral can be very quick, but not quite as destructive as those on Athas, due to the thinner atmosphere.

Ral is similar to Athas in many ways, mainly in that both are desert worlds. Where Athas was once a verdant world, Ral is thought to have always been a barren wasteland. There is precious little evidence it supported any great civilization or city of any size. Most of Ral is a rocky desert, with about a third of the moon being sandy desert, salt flats, or patchy savannahs. The sky has a coppery green ting to it, although the landscape is similar to Athas in coloration.

Native Creatures
There is precious little life on Ral. The moon is largely a barren wasteland, with only a few pockets that can sustain life. These pockets constantly vanish and appear, forcing creatures to constantly migrate in search of pasture or prey, and water.

At the most basic level is the hardy plants, which include various cacti and reedy grasses. The grasses grow every rapidly, as much as a full inch per night. They cluster around water sources that rarely last more than a week. The cacti are typically small, no more than four inches across, and can hold just enough water to fill a waterskin.

Animals are much rarer.

Guide to Groundlings
The wastes of Ral are not entirely uninhabited. Small bands of intelligent creatures do wander the wastelands, ever in search of food, water, and shelter from the dust storms. Bands typically number 11-20 members, including children, almost always of the same race. They travel from oasis to oasis in their quest to keep their livestock (XXX and XXX) alive. Flocks are small, only what animals the band can care for. Excess animals are killed and eaten. Most, if not all, are believed to be descendants of travelers marooned on Ral due to shipwrecks or as punishment for crimes long forgotten. It is likely that for every band that roams the deserts of Ral, a hundred or more like bands have died out over the eons.

There are many bands of humans, elves, aarocrota, <rat guys>, and halflings. Of these, the halflings are generally the most successful; their small size means they consume less food and can last longer. The humans and elves are most often recent arrivals. They are most commonly victims of a shipwreck or being marooned. Most such bands survive for a few generations before vanishing or are absorbed by newer bands. Dwarves and thri-kreen bands rarely last more than two generations before dying off, resulting in very few of these creatures surviving on Ral. The aarocrota and <rat guys> are rare, but their bands are generally stable, having lived off the land for countless generations; their origins stretch back further than the stories their elders tell. All of the races are cannibals, and will eat their dead.

The harsh conditions render wizardry magic almost impossible. The natives have a fierce hatred of wizards, and will kill them if they can. Even if the natives do not kill any wizard who comes to Ral, the harsh conditions most certainly will. As a result, almost no wizards exist on Ral. Templers have no power on Ral. Clerics are very rare; a band has but a 10% chance of counting a cleric in their ranks. A handful of druids dwell on Ral. Some druids hold to an ideal of creating a green, verdant world in the Crimson Sphere, and consider Ral to be ideal for this cause. On Ral, there is no organized resistance to their efforts, and no one to exploit their work for their own gain. They work to turn the land green and fill basins with water. Their small numbers doom this is to an elusive dream, as likely to become a reality as catching a mirage.

Resources and Trade

Ports of Call
Gerkoks: This oasis is the closest thing Ral has to a port. Every 33 standard days, water seeps into the floor of this small bowl valley, making creating small pools and turning the ground muddy for a period of 6 days. The water causes a brief period of vegetation to grow almost overnight. Nearly half a hundred bands flock here every month to take advantage of this temporary oasis. Merchants know of this regular oasis, and come here as well, to trade with the natives. Gerkoks is not a popular destination for merchants; maybe four or so ships arrive each month for the purposes of trade. There are no permanent structures at Gerkoks, just tents and caves. Nor is there any sort of government; the only law the tent city recognizes is brute force and violence. Merchants bring armed guards (often half-giants!) with them to avoid their wares and lives being seized and taken by bandits.
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:56 pm

night_druid wrote:Well, here's what I have for Ral. About halfway done, maybe 2/3rds. In short, I envision an almost totally dead world; there's life here, but the whole moon is sorta like the badlands of Athas. No cities, only a temporary tent village that appears & disappears every month. Will need to develop a little on why adventurers would come to this desolated place ;)

Looks good so far.

How about using some of those giant insects (that you mentioned earlier) as both a reason why Ral could be "mostly dead" and a reason why spacefarers might want to come here.

If Ral was occasionally plagued by giant insects, they could eat everything that isn't nailed down and cause famines for the people living on the planet. In between famines, the planet could recover quickly and build up a good supply of grasses and other food that will then tip the moon over into another insect-plague cycle.

If you give some of the giant insects termite-like mounds, then those insects could be attracted towards large buildings. That could give you a type of insect that instinctivly swarms around towns and cities and attempts to take over what, to them, looks like a rival colony.

If you give some of the insects an ability to burrow, you can get a network of tunnels that could be used by all sorts of local animals, but would occasionally be taken back by the dangerous critters that formed them.

Some of the insects would be ones that (when killed) would make excellent keels for spelljamming ships, and some of the locals could specialise in hunting down, these insects and trapping them in gigantic nets while killing them in a way that causes the minimum amount of damage to their bodies. These bodies could then have the meat stripped out of them (perhaps while the insects are still alive) and could be blasted clean with sand to form the basis of a hull for a new spelljamming ship.

You could actually set up local societies that creep around on the sand (like the natives on the planet Arakis in the Dune novels) to avoid being eaten by giant insects.

Things like tents could be camoflaged to be more or less invisible to flying giant insects and the locals could avoid cooking with fire and doing other things that cause noise, heat or smell to give away their position.

The "tent cities" you mention could be set up every year/month/season when the giant insects are most dormant and people can dare to meet up in large numbers.

And if this moon was a major source for your giant insects, then your spelljamming ships would resemble local creatures and could easily attract an attack (or mating attempt) when someone tries to land on Ral during the wrong part of the year/month/season. (Random Spelljamming encounter number 17: Your ship is pursued by 2+d4 randy giant stag beetles intent on mating with what they believe to be an in season female. Each mating attempt counts as a ramming attack and does d2 Hull Points of damage. :twisted: )
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:42 pm

Big Mac wrote:How about using some of those giant insects (that you mentioned earlier) as both a reason why Ral could be "mostly dead" and a reason why spacefarers might want to come here.

So, should an adventure to this insect world involve a ship crashing with a convicted killer aboard, one who is a major badass (with a weakness for kids) with "shined" eyes? :lol: Maybe he'll even one day save the universe from a bunch of necromancers... :ugeek:
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:29 am

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:How about using some of those giant insects (that you mentioned earlier) as both a reason why Ral could be "mostly dead" and a reason why spacefarers might want to come here.

So, should an adventure to this insect world involve a ship crashing with a convicted killer aboard, one who is a major badass (with a weakness for kids) with "shined" eyes? :lol: Maybe he'll even one day save the universe from a bunch of necromancers... :ugeek:

Sure why not. If you can give it a bit more camoflage.

He could have a new set of eyes given to him by the Xixchil. And maybe he can save the Crimson Sphere from the Defilers.

But would Judy Dench...er I mean an Air Elemental, be able to live on Ral?
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby wtrmute » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:47 am

Hi, just wanted to remind everyone that I recall the Athasian year as *not* being 365 days long; I think it was 375? Someone who has access to the boxed sets could confirm that for me...

Also, the distance of an orbiting body depends on the mass of the orbited body, as well as the period of rotation; assuming that Athas is about as massive as Earth and those orbits are circular, we get 270,040 miles for Ral's orbit and 656,184 miles for Guthay's. To calculate the diameter from these, I'd have to know how many degrees of sky those moons cover, and I think that depends on what the angle of vision for a particular picture is. If you can get that information (by selecting a picture where there is something whose distance to the "camera" and size are known so we can compare) we can do the rest of this exercise.

Also, doing astronomy calculations in non-SI units is a royal PITA...
wtrmute
Goblin

Next

Return to Dark Sun