Page 1 of 1

[2E] Expanded encumbrance table?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:02 am
by Jayce
I'm about to start running a new Dark Sun campaign, using the 2nd edition rules and the original (so not the Revised & Expanded) Dark Sun boxed set. However, we've got one problem: the party's Half Giant has a strength score of 22, but the encumbrance tables in the PHB only go up to strength 18/00. Does anyone know if there were ever any expanded encumbrance tables published, in either an AD&D supplement or a Dragon Magazine article?

If not, does anyone know of a fanmade expanded encumbrance table? Or if there's a set methodology to calculating encumbrance levels? (I haven't been able to discover it)

Re: [2E] Expanded encumbrance table?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:14 am
by Havard
Interesting topic!

I wonder if the Animal Carrying Capacity rules could be useful in this?

Image

I suppose they might be different due to walking on four legs though. Do other editions adress this?

-Havard

Re: [2E] Expanded encumbrance table?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:18 pm
by Lord Torath
I put one together a while back. I just took the Weight Allowance at full speed, a few pounds less than Max Press at Speed 1, and interpolated the points between. (Part of my big monster spreadsheet)

Here, I've uploaded it to my dropbox account: Lord Torath's Dropbox.

I've got the encumbrance values separated by normal speed and creature size. I found I liked the size multipliers for carrying capacity. But the multipliers are all in the top row, so set them to "1" if you don't like that bit. Then just find the table that matches your normal speed.

Let me know if that link doesn't work, or if you have any questions.

Re: [2E] Expanded encumbrance table?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:44 am
by Morfie
PHB does have the Strength field called Weight Allowance, and this goes up to 25. This matches up to the upper number on Unencumbered. The field called Max. Press matches up to the upper number on Severe.

So for STR of 22 the Half-Giant would be unencumbered up to 785 lbs, but cannot carry any more than 970 lbs. If you want Light/Medium/Heavy inbetween those values you would have to work out the math.

Re: [2E] Expanded encumbrance table?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:14 am
by Big Mac
Lord Torath wrote:I put one together a while back. I just took the Weight Allowance at full speed, a few pounds less than Max Press at Speed 1, and interpolated the points between. (Part of my big monster spreadsheet)

Here, I've uploaded it to my dropbox account: Lord Torath's Dropbox.

I've got the encumbrance values separated by normal speed and creature size. I found I liked the size multipliers for carrying capacity. But the multipliers are all in the top row, so set them to "1" if you don't like that bit. Then just find the table that matches your normal speed.

Let me know if that link doesn't work, or if you have any questions.


Nice work.

It loads for me, but you have a ton of detail there and I'm trying to work it all out at the moment. (My 2e-fu has grown weak from a lack of use. :( )

Re: [2E] Expanded encumbrance table?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:31 pm
by Alzrius
I can tell you that in the revised campaign setting boxed set, a character with a Strength score of 22 has a weight allowance of 360 and a max press of 475.

Re: [2E] Expanded encumbrance table?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:24 pm
by Jayce
Alzrius wrote:I can tell you that in the revised campaign setting boxed set, a character with a Strength score of 22 has a weight allowance of 360 and a max press of 475.


The revised set nerfed strength so much that a 22 strength was basically the equivalent of 18/00 strength in vanilla 2E though. That's why the encumbrance tables (and also the rules for exceeding level limits) from that set aren't usable in conjunction with the original set. :|

Lord Torath wrote:I put one together a while back. I just took the Weight Allowance at full speed, a few pounds less than Max Press at Speed 1, and interpolated the points between. (Part of my big monster spreadsheet)

Here, I've uploaded it to my dropbox account: Lord Torath's Dropbox.

I've got the encumbrance values separated by normal speed and creature size. I found I liked the size multipliers for carrying capacity. But the multipliers are all in the top row, so set them to "1" if you don't like that bit. Then just find the table that matches your normal speed.

Let me know if that link doesn't work, or if you have any questions.


That's actually really useful. I personally wouldn't use all the extra brackets in-between the regular ones, but it sure is nice to have a table that calculates them with size differences and everything taken into account! :D

Re: [2E] Expanded encumbrance table?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:09 am
by Lord Torath
Big Mac wrote:Nice work.

It loads for me, but you have a ton of detail there and I'm trying to work it all out at the moment. (My 2e-fu has grown weak from a lack of use. :( )
Jayce wrote:That's actually really useful. I personally wouldn't use all the extra brackets in-between the regular ones, but it sure is nice to have a table that calculates them with size differences and everything taken into account! :D
The master spreadsheet I took that from has, like, 20 more tabs of stuff. Racial height/weight tables, saving throws and THACOs based on class and XP, Wild Mage Level variation and wild surge check, The Deck of Many Things, treasure and XP tracking, monster, NPC, and PC hit point generators, daily time tracker, several different calendars, plus a sheet with misc. calculations all over it. Plus the couple of Spelljammer spreadsheets, one for Shadowrun (2E), and one for Robotech. :)