The Grey Isles of Athas

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.
Post Reply
redking
Hobgoblin
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:11 pm
Gender: male

The Grey Isles of Athas

Post by redking » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:30 am

Just came across this in Polyhedron 80.

Image

In the expansion for the old SSI game, the Shattered Lands, there was an expansion called ‘the Grey Isles’. This introduced the Grey Isles area of Athas. The Grey Isles are ruled or controlled by Athasian doppelgangers, which are supposedly more powerful than doppelgangers on other worlds.

zontoxira
Planewalker
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 8:46 pm
Gender: male
Location: Sigil, The Lady's Ward

Re: The Grey Isles of Athas

Post by zontoxira » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:06 pm

So they had plans for an expansion to the original game? And another game, named after the book? That's some bloody interesting news. Never heard of the Grey Isles, though, were they supposed to be a new area?
Have a look at my Dark Sun Reconstruction Project at Homebrewery or Dark Sun 5e files at Google Drive
---
Cager extraordinaire, at your service!
---
"There are no saints in the animal kingdom. Only breakfast, and dinner." - Lorne Malvo

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23423
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: The Grey Isles of Athas

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:44 pm

redking wrote:In the expansion for the old SSI game, the Shattered Lands, there was an expansion called ‘the Grey Isles’. This introduced the Grey Isles area of Athas. The Grey Isles are ruled or controlled by Athasian doppelgangers, which are supposedly more powerful than doppelgangers on other worlds.
That's an interesting press release.

Did this actually go on sale? I can't seem to find any information about it online.

The game seems to teleport people directly onto the isles (and presumably back off again). Is there any information about where they would appear on a map of Athas?

Are these islands featured in a 2nd Edition Dark Sun tabletop RPG product (or a 4th Edition one)? Are they in any of the novels?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

redking
Hobgoblin
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:11 pm
Gender: male

Re: The Grey Isles of Athas

Post by redking » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Big Mac wrote: That's an interesting press release.

Did this actually go on sale? I can't seem to find any information about it online.


The only other information I can find about is another press release in a later polyhedron saying that the game expansion had been delayed. Perhaps it has never been released.
Big Mac wrote:The game seems to teleport people directly onto the isles (and presumably back off again). Is there any information about where they would appear on a map of Athas?


Or they go through a tunnel if the base game, Shattered Lands, had not yet been completed.
Big Mac wrote:Are these islands featured in a 2nd Edition Dark Sun tabletop RPG product (or a 4th Edition one)? Are they in any of the novels?
They aren't in any of the tabletop RPG products or novels to my knowledge.

redking
Hobgoblin
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:11 pm
Gender: male

Re: The Grey Isles of Athas

Post by redking » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:41 pm


Post Reply

Return to “Dark Sun”