Dragon #364: Hazzards of Dark Sun

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Dragon #364: Hazzards of Dark Sun

Postby Dragonhelm » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:23 am

Guys, here it is, the first campaign classic to hit the new online Dragon.

Hazards of Dark Sun
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: Dragon #364: Hazzards of Dark Sun

Postby Idabrius » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:13 pm

It seems almost like a waist of an article, but what it implies is something that tickles me pink. Even if Dark Sun never gets 4e campaign books, if they release larger piecemeal setting information bits (probably waiting to let the big nice chunks go out after they start charging for the magazine) than that would be almost as good as having a DS campaign book.

Although, I think they probably will do a DS release. Why not? Bill Slaviscek is the 4e Team Commander or whatever.

10th Age books on Lulu
10th Age and 2e downloads on the Frothing Mug

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.
Idabrius
Hill Giant

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:10 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:Guys, here it is, the first campaign classic to hit the new online Dragon.

Hazards of Dark Sun

Thanks for the link.

Idabrius wrote:It seems almost like a waist of an article, but what it implies is something that tickles me pink.

What did you think was a waste? Was it the fact that it only had three hazzards?

Idabrius wrote:Even if Dark Sun never gets 4e campaign books, if they release larger piecemeal setting information bits (probably waiting to let the big nice chunks go out after they start charging for the magazine) than that would be almost as good as having a DS campaign book.

Almost certainly Dragon and Dungeon could be used to do exactly this. A set of gods here and a set of feats there and you can build up the campaign setting bit by bit. And if they wanted to, they could pull everything together and compile a PDF of everything Dark Sun (or whatever other campaign setting they wanted to sell).

The only problem I see with this sort of strategy, is that some sort of bean counting person will be second guessing the fans, to work out what campaign setting will sell the most magazines.

They didn't do this sort of thing with 3rd edition, so I don't know if refusing to renew the magazine licences indicates that they will be more likely to do this sort of thing now.

Idabrius wrote:Although, I think they probably will do a DS release. Why not? Bill Slaviscek is the 4e Team Commander or whatever.

Shouldn't he be the High Commander? :P

I think they will do Dark Sun. And it is about time. I've got nothing against Forgotten Realms, but D&D has always been a game of choice to me. 3rd edition took away that choice. If it wasn't for the good people at The Burnt World of Athas, 3rd edition fans would have been totally shut out of Dark Sun.

I'm not going to convert to 4th edition in the near future (not for at least five years), but I was pleasantly surprised that this article actually looks like the 2nd edition Athas that I remember. I was dreading that the Spellplague thing that has been inflicted on Forgotten Realms might be an indication of a mass setting reboot.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby agathokles » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:51 pm

Big Mac wrote:I'm not going to convert to 4th edition in the near future (not for at least five years), but I was pleasantly surprised that this article actually looks like the 2nd edition Athas that I remember. I was dreading that the Spellplague thing that has been inflicted on Forgotten Realms might be an indication of a mass setting reboot.

Dark Sun fits 4e better than most settings (isolated communities, lack of mundane animals, a general prevalence of "evil", lots of ruins, covers a smaller area than most other settings), except for the cosmology, which it doesn't use much anyway, and the lack of gods (but one could probably remap the clerical feats on specific elements). I'd be surprised if DS 4e was not published right after whatever PHB will have the Psionic power source.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Idabrius » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:20 pm

Bigmac:

Yeah, the diminutive nature of the article is what makes it a waste. Not a waste for the 4e R&D Gameworld Making Department or whatever title they've styled for themselves. However, releasing it as an article to prove how awesome their new rockin' online magazine bonanza is gonna be seems like a waste. They could've done (and they have done) so much more when releasing articles for this burgeoning magazine. Seems like they had already gotten this stuff done for the Dark Sun setting already and they were really searching for something to post so they ripped it out of context to get our whistles wet.

Not that I'm complaining about the QUALITY of the article. Dark Sun is a great setting and fits 4e generally well. As agathokles has commented repeatedly, the whole feel of 4e could easily be tweaked into a nice Dark Sun revival.

Also, I would REALLY like to see a reset on the Dark Sun timeline. It was way more fun before PCs knew the origins of every Sorcerer-King and the Dragon and Rajat and all that. Lets get back to basics, in my opinion. But that's neither here nor there.

10th Age books on Lulu
10th Age and 2e downloads on the Frothing Mug

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.
Idabrius
Hill Giant

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:04 pm

<snip - stuff we agree on 8-) >

Idabrius wrote:Also, I would REALLY like to see a reset on the Dark Sun timeline. It was way more fun before PCs knew the origins of every Sorcerer-King and the Dragon and Rajat and all that. Lets get back to basics, in my opinion. But that's neither here nor there.

I'd say that for a lot of campaign settings. Not just Dark Sun. I'd rather go backwards and play a 4th edition of Arcane Age FR that have anything to do with the Spellplague. A pre-Cataclysm Krynn would be much more interesting (to me) than a wound on Dragonlance. (I'd prefer an era with Paladine and Takhisis than the Age of Mortals, in any case.) And I'd even like retro-Spelljammer that is set before the (First) Unhuman War.

But getting back to DS, I'd actually love to wind the time back a lot and see what Athas looked like before the defiling magic blasted it to bits. A campaign setting where a beautiful Athas is slowly dying before the eyes of the player might be really fun.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Dark Sun