More info on Dark Sun, form Bloodsand Arena :)

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

More info on Dark Sun, form Bloodsand Arena :)

Postby Silverblade-T-E » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:41 pm

got a copy via ebay ;)

Info on 4th ed Dark Sun, from BLoodsand Arena

the primordials won against the gods in times past, hence no gods. some folk worship the sorceroro-kings, demon cults, primordials or primal spirits (note: demon worship!)

low level (1st to 5th level) 4th ed monsters suitable for 4th edMonster manual: beetles, rats, kruthiks, skeletons, zombies, lizardfolk (called ssurans as per 2nd ed critters, guess they've blended them together), heynas, bats, spiders, magma beasts, oozes, drakes, ghouls, sladd taddpoles
Monster manual 2: ankehgs, elementals, demons (note this, guess elemental plane connection allows demons which is cool, but potentially nasty! Demogorgon, Yeenoghu or Orcus on Athas?!), centipes, lizardfolk, ants, oozes, drakes, skeletons
Monster Manual 3: elementals, demons, spdiers, rot grubs, dread warriors

Poor weapon quality
Reckless breakage alternate rule, on a roll of 1, player cna chose to instead of missing, re-roll, regardless of re-result, non-metal , metal wepaons break if re-roll is 5 or lower weapon breaks
I plain don't like that, you just miss, why get an extra attack...jsut break shoddy weapons, you expect it on athas! and staffs aren't necessarily shoddy, nor clubs...made of wood...think about it :p

Arcane casters can use "arcane defiling", personal, at will, free action, used with daily arcane powers, , re-roll triggering roll and use 2nd roll, each ally within 20 squares takes damage = to 1/2 their healing surge value, this damage cannot be reduced in anyway.

Bards seem to function as per Players Handbook2, they are arcane casters, and can thus defile

characters can have "themes", such as templar, gladiator etc

Gith are back, and typically have telekinetic combat powers, like telekinetic leap (encounter fly 5 squares) as racial movement power

Muls have "Incredible toughness", encounter, on start of their turn, no action, end one effect that includes ongoing damage, and the dazed, slowed, stunned or weakened condition

dwarves have standard racial abilities against forced movement and knocked prone, plus they get singular focus, one enemy, until end of encounter or enemy is reduced to 0hp, you get +5hp damage bonus

old monsters mentioned, bazraag, id fiend and tembo, picture of a braxat? inside

tieflings tend ot be nomadic raiders

half-giants are goliaths

Dragonborn are dray who live in clans and are somewhat secretive merchants sorcerors or mercenaries

Thri-kreen are back

rules for special rewards, favours and training (I'd guess combat bonuses or free feats?) are in the books and/or you cna use fixed enhancement bonuses as per 4th ed DMG 2, since magic items are rare, to keep balance of character power vs monsters

nice artwork in the module, new monster Jhakar Trapjaw, massive squat lized with moth like ass end of a boat or a dragline dredge
artowrk of running elf, cool
artwork of a mul, on a kank (very cool) kank is liek a bettle more than an antwhich is ok actually
artwork of braxat I believe, very cool
artwork of partial or mixed armour,I like this, rather than stupid rags, it's mostly scale or leather. even plate made from chitin or such

:)
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D
Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Re: More info on Dark Sun, form Bloodsand Arena :)

Postby Havard » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:52 pm

Silverblade-T-E wrote:half-giants are goliaths

Of all the changes, I think this is my favorite. I am finding myself liking the Goliaths more and more. No idea why :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Paladyn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Great news. Only thing bothers me, why it wasn't released as free download?
Paladyn
Gnoll

Postby dulsi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Palladine wrote:Great news. Only thing bothers me, why it wasn't released as free download?

The Eberron adventure wasn't released as a free download right away. They may be waiting for this one as well. The point is to get people into the local stores. If you can download it for free online right away why go to the stores.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:27 pm

dulsi wrote:
Palladine wrote:Great news. Only thing bothers me, why it wasn't released as free download?

The Eberron adventure wasn't released as a free download right away. They may be waiting for this one as well. The point is to get people into the local stores. If you can download it for free online right away why go to the stores.

What were you talking about? (I see no link. :? ) Is it a free download yet? Is it DDI? Is it something that was a Free RPG Day product?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Paladyn » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:34 am

Big Mac wrote:
dulsi wrote:

What were you talking about? (I see no link. :? ) Is it a free download yet? Is it DDI? Is it something that was a Free RPG Day product?

You can download it from here

It is introductionary adventure. while it is short and combat oriented, I like it much. Scenario shows what Dark Sun is and seeds some nice hooks to start campaign running.
Paladyn
Gnoll

Postby Big Mac » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:57 pm

Palladine wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
dulsi wrote:

You can download it from here

It is introductionary adventure. while it is short and combat oriented, I like it much. Scenario shows what Dark Sun is and seeds some nice hooks to start campaign running.

Thanks Paladine.

I found the Free RPG Day doorway page for Bloodsand Arena.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Dark Sun