[Athas East] Hombrewed Dark Sun Expansion

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

[Athas East] Hombrewed Dark Sun Expansion

Postby Knightfall » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:18 pm

What is shown below is an attempt I made to create a region of Athas on the other side of the Silt Sea. I haven't done much work with it but I figured I'd share it here, regardless.

Cheers!

Knightfall

Last edited by Knightfall on Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Timber Vale

Postby Knightfall » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:19 pm

Here's the only close up map I've done for Athas East...

Timber Vale
Anboeg is this regions Tyr for the most part. Most adventures would start from that city, while adventure locations of note would be The Dustglow (old Green Age lighthouse) or Relugor (an old dwarven hold that still stands relatively intact to this day). Muvenor and Dopt are vital to the regions defense from the wilder regions beyond the Timber Vale.

Each of the lesser cities are ruled by a sorcerer/priest known as a solon and the vale is loosely aligned together against forces outside of the vale. Anboeg's traditional ruler was usually a sorcerer/cleric/psion that is both sovereign & chancellor, known as the Dragon Emperor. However, the last Dragon Emperor died 300 years ago, as he didn't survive the transition to becoming a dragon. In his place, a new ruler took power at the request of the solons, a man named Julro Mar'ihr whose official title, at the time, was simply Magnate. After he took control of power in the vale, with the solons as his advisors, his title change to Dragon Regent. This title has been passed down through the last three hundred years, sometimes through hereditary means, sometimes through the will of the solons.

The current Dragon Regent is again a member of the noble Mar'ihr Family, which has remained prominent in the vale through the centuries. Hilrao Mar'ihr is only the sixth Mar'ihr that has held the title and the first in the family appointed to the position by the solons in nearly 140 years. Note that the Dragon Regent has real little power outside the city of Anboeg. The solons rule the rest of the vale. The solons of today are the same solons of 300 years ago and are all on the path towards becoming full dragons. This knowledge is widespread through the vale and the solons are greatly feared, as a result.

Dragon Regent Hilrao is the best chance for change in the vale since the time of his ancestor who first took the title. He is a strong-willed sorcerer/psion who is planning to become an advanced being as well, but an avangion, not a dragon. He has gone to great lengths to ensure that the solons don't discover his plans and he plays the part of the dull-witted Dragon Regent very well. However, he knows he is playing a *very* dangerous game with the solons and that eventually there will be civil war in the vale.

Only time will tell who survives to decide the vale's future...
Last edited by Knightfall on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Re: Athas East

Postby Paladyn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:12 pm

Very nice drawing!
What software do you use? Is it a Campaign Cartographer?
I seem to recall unofficial maps of all Athas' continents, posted few years ago on Wizards forum. They were fun too.
Paladyn
Gnoll

Postby Knightfall » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:29 pm

Palladine wrote:Very nice drawing!
What software do you use? Is it a Campaign Cartographer?
I seem to recall unofficial maps of all Athas' continents, posted few years ago on Wizards forum. They were fun too.

I created them using CC2 Pro. I created the "terrain" symbols (*) myself but the Dark Sun circle symbols were created by someone else. *Except of the mountain and smoke symbols.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Havard » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:40 pm

These are great maps Robert! Thanks for posting them here :)

Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Azaghal » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:57 pm

This is some really great stuff Knightfall and a welcome addition to my Dark Sun ideas.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington
Azaghal
Green Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:18 am

You're welcome, guys! I'd always hoped to expand this idea more but I just never took it anywhere. Therefore, what you see it what I've done. Anyone who want to use these two maps and the short description is free to do so. However, if you do then post your own tidbits here (so I can borrow 'em). :D
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:37 am

Now that I have the 4e Dark Sun books (and feel comfortable with the the rules), I'm hoping I will feel inspired to reinvent Athas East for 4e. It's just a thought at this point. Hmm, perhaps I could start with city stats for Anboeg. :?:
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:58 pm

Maps re-linked.

I'll likely redo these maps as Hex maps in Hexographer. :D
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby The Dark » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:45 am

Knightfall wrote:Maps re-linked.

Hex maps are always good.

Questions that arise (not all of which need answers, they're only what I think of when first looking at the maps):
So, passage through the entire Vale is (more-or-less) simple, as opposed to the independent and often hostile city-states of the Tyr Region? I'm assuming this is the case because the adventure areas are not close to the main city adventurers come from.
If the Dragon Emperors were defilers (necessary to try to become a dragon), what kept all the vegetation alive? The Dragon Lands seem like a verdant paradise compared to the Tyr Region.
There seem to be a lot of cities - I count 15 on the large map outside of the Dragon Lands, plus four (Teket, Lphen, Rulom, and Anboeg) on the small map, for a total of 19 city-state equivalents. The Tablelands only have 7 city-states.
What races are common? With that much greenery, I wouldn't expect many kreen, and the presence of muls and half-giants would depend on the amount of slavery in the region. Are there any jungle-dwelling races not common in the Tyr Region?
What's keeping Khekl so small, when it looks like it should be a major area, given the crossroads that it sits at?
Are there any dragons in other city-states? On a similar note, have any solons started pushing towards becoming elementals?
The Dark
Troll

Postby Sturm » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:47 pm

Very interesting work, glad you bumped it as I haven't noticed it before.
I'm interested too in your answer to the above questions!
Sturm
Black Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:15 pm

The Dark wrote:
Knightfall wrote:Maps re-linked.

Hex maps are always good.

I worked on it all day yesterday. The first draft of the map is done and has been posted on my Otherworlds Facebook group. Once it is finalized, it will go up on the associated blog: Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds.

Questions that arise (not all of which need answers, they're only what I think of when first looking at the maps):
So, passage through the entire Vale is (more-or-less) simple, as opposed to the independent and often hostile city-states of the Tyr Region? I'm assuming this is the case because the adventure areas are not close to the main city adventurers come from.

Passage from north to south is somewhat easier. I think moving from west to east will be more challenging. The new hex map shows this, somewhat.

If the Dragon Emperors were defilers (necessary to try to become a dragon), what kept all the vegetation alive? The Dragon Lands seem like a verdant paradise compared to the Tyr Region.
There seem to be a lot of cities - I count 15 on the large map outside of the Dragon Lands, plus four (Teket, Lphen, Rulom, and Anboeg) on the small map, for a total of 19 city-state equivalents. The Tablelands only have 7 city-states.

I'm thinking that the Dragon Emperors saw the forests as key to their power base. They used them but didn't overtax the forest unless severely pressed by their enemies. The forests of the region used to be one massive forest that stretched across the entire region. What is left is jealously guarded by those living near them.

Timber Vale is a subset of the larger map. There aren't four extra cities. The new hex map should hopefully make the region clearer to understand. Regardless, yes, there are a lot of cities in this region.

What races are common? With that much greenery, I wouldn't expect many kreen, and the presence of muls and half-giants would depend on the amount of slavery in the region. Are there any jungle-dwelling races not common in the Tyr Region?

I haven't really considered races too much. I would say there is a place for all the standard Dark Sun races.

What's keeping Khekl so small, when it looks like it should be a major area, given the crossroads that it sits at?

That's a good observation. The next version of the hex map will likely note it as a town not a village.

Are there any dragons in other city-states? On a similar note, have any solons started pushing towards becoming elementals?

Undecided. It's been a while since I've thought about Athas East, so there are a lot of unanswered questions in my mind. As for the Solons, I would say yes to some of them pushing to become elementals.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:18 pm

Sturm wrote:Very interesting work, glad you bumped it as I haven't noticed it before.
I'm interested too in your answer to the above questions!

Questions are always good. I don't always think about every aspect when designing maps or new settings so good questions tend to challenge my own assumptions.

If you have any of your own, feel free to ask. :D
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby The Dark » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:59 am

Knightfall wrote:
The Dark wrote:

I'm thinking that the Dragon Emperors saw the forests as key to their power base. They used them but didn't overtax the forest unless severely pressed by their enemies. The forests of the region used to be one massive forest that stretched across the entire region. What is left is jealously guarded by those living near them.

Timber Vale is a subset of the larger map. There aren't four extra cities. The new hex map should hopefully make the region clearer to understand. Regardless, yes, there are a lot of cities in this region.
Right, I caught that as I was writing my post, and wrote in an unclear manner. I counted 19 total. Four appear on both maps, and fifteen just on the large-scale map.

That's a good observation. The next version of the hex map will likely note it as a town not a village.
I was mostly pondering that because it could make for a good adventure seed - Khekl should be growing, so what's wrong? Or, maybe, Khekl used to be a city, but now a large part of it's abandoned for some reason.
The Dark
Troll

Postby rabindranath72 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:44 pm

It's not unheard of that Sorcerer Kings grow and "protect" forests: see Lalali-Puy, for example. They might follow the same principles.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Knightfall » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:38 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:It's not unheard of that Sorcerer Kings grow and "protect" forests: see Lalali-Puy, for example. They might follow the same principles.

That was my thinking as well.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Return to Dark Sun