Dark Sun 4e hardcovers! I have 'em!

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Re: Dark Sun 4e hardcovers! I have 'em!

Postby dulsi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:56 pm

Does it have ideas on integrating all the existing races? I'm curious what they did with the wilden. I was thinking instead of being defenders of nature rising to stop the aberrations making them carnivorous. Plants that adapted to the desert environment by taking what they need from other living creatures.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby dfryer36 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:10 am

Wait,the Creature Cataloge is out too? Great, now I have to drive uptown again to buy that.
David Fryer
I am a cute and cuddly winged harbinger of DEATH!

Do you have what it takes to be a hero?
dfryer36
White Dragon

Postby Silverblade-T-E » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:42 pm

Amazon UK just emialed to say the creature catalogue is delayed, grrrrrr!!!!
and they aint' delievered ther other 2
should have had it, was officially released 17th, pre ordered ages ago.
*imagines setting a So-ut loose in Amazon's warehouse* :lol:
Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Postby writermonk » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:29 pm

So, not having any other 4th Edition books, if I wanted to get the Dark Sun set, what all exactly would I need to run a Dark Sun game these days (assuming I didn't want to go to the trouble of unearthing the old main box set from storage in the deepest hottest pits of ... well, the old spare room where boxes are piled literally floor to ceiling.
http://www.talislanta.com - Home of 20+ years of Talislanta material and the new Talislanta: Savage Lands.
writermonk
Ogre

Postby Knightfall » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:02 pm

dulsi wrote:Does it have ideas on integrating all the existing races? I'm curious what they did with the wilden. I was thinking instead of being defenders of nature rising to stop the aberrations making them carnivorous. Plants that adapted to the desert environment by taking what they need from other living creatures.

Page 30 has a short sidebar called Introducing Other Races, which gives three bullet points of how a GM and player might introduce a new race. It mentions the Pristine Tower (pg. 163) as one specific example as a source of mutation.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:18 pm

writermonk wrote:So, not having any other 4th Edition books, if I wanted to get the Dark Sun set, what all exactly would I need to run a Dark Sun game these days (assuming I didn't want to go to the trouble of unearthing the old main box set from storage in the deepest hottest pits of ... well, the old spare room where boxes are piled literally floor to ceiling.

You'll need the first DMG & MM, for sure. The core races and classes (as I define them) are spread across PHB to PHB 3. You could start with only the first PHB, which has these races and classes in it...

Races
Dragonborn [Dray]
Dwarf
Eladrin
Elf
Half-Elf
Halfling
Human
Tiefling

Classes
Cleric [not a DS class]
Fighter
Paladin [not a DS class]
Ranger
Rogue
Warlock
Warlord
Wizard

The Goliath [aka Half-Giant] and Bard & Druid are in PHB 2. The Minotaur [mutated Beasthead Giant] and psionic classes are in PHB 3.
Last edited by Knightfall on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:19 pm

You could also wait and see if the Essentials line might be more to your liking. I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to go that route.
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby Knightfall » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:32 pm

Just my opinion...

Core Classes for Dark Sun

Arcane
Bard [PHB 2]
Sorcerer [PHB 2]
Warlock
Wizard

Martial
Fighter
Ranger
Rogue
Warlord

Primal
Barbarian [PHB 2]
Druid [PHB 2]
Shaman [PHB 2]
Seeker [PHB 3]
Warden [PHB 2]

Psionic [PHB 3]
Ardent
Battlemind
Monk
Psion
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:19 am

Good thing that you can have wild talent characters without needing the PHB3. And I would say even the MM could be avoided, considering that Athas has a very peculiar bestiary.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby agathokles » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:38 am

I'd just wait for DS material to show up in the Character Builder and other DDI tools (expected in september, IIRC).
Given that, you could play a campaign with all classes and races available with just the Rules Compendium (or PHB1 or even the free quickstart rules) and a DDI subscription.

BTW, I'd use the following races and classes.
Races: Human, Dwarf, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, Mul, Thri-Kreen. I'd use Essential versions of all the core races.
Classes: all martial (including the Essentials Slayer class, when it comes out), all psionic (but Monks would be very rare except in hybrids with other psionic classes), all primal except Druids (Athasian druids are more like 4e shamans), Wizard, Warlock (as Arcanamachs and Templars only) and Sorcerer (only as Cerulean Wizard or Air Cleric).

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Silverblade-T-E » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:46 am

really like the books! :)
only issue I have is with couple of the artworks in the creature catalogue, the "kirre" pic is garbage! :/
do wish though they still had Brom, Easley etc for artists, sigh, could have been some truly memoorable art, only two that are good, is 3 adventurers in runed city and one of a Bedoiun-style wanderer in dunes
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D
Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:16 pm

Knightfall wrote:One page cosmology.

Dark Sun and how it fits (or does not fit) into the 4e cosmology came up in the 4th ed Dark Sun products are on WOTC site thread. I split that off into a new thread I called Dark Sun vs 4e cosmology.

One page sounds about the same as what they did with 3e's FRCS. What do you get for your one page of Dark Sun cosmology?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby dulsi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:35 pm

I finally managed to snag a copy for less than $30. Now I just need to find the time to read it.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Paladyn » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:31 am

Big Mac wrote:

Dark Sun and how it fits (or does not fit) into the 4e cosmology came up in the 4th ed Dark Sun products are on WOTC site thread. I split that off into a new thread I called Dark Sun vs 4e cosmology.

One page sounds about the same as what they did with 3e's FRCS. What do you get for your one page of Dark Sun cosmology?

Actually you get old information set into new framework. There still are the Grey and the Black but they became part of Shadowfell (if I remeber correctly). There is no mention of sealed crystal sphere, but once again it's not major theme of new Planes.
Paladyn
Gnoll

Postby Big Mac » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Palladine wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Actually you get old information set into new framework. There still are the Grey and the Black but they became part of Shadowfell (if I remeber correctly).

That sounds like it would be compatible with The Great Wheel (if anyone wanted to do a Dark Sun/Planescape game).

Palladine wrote:There is no mention of sealed crystal sphere, but once again it's not major theme of new Planes.

I don't recall the product that mentioned Athas was in a sealed crystal sphere. I know that CGR1 The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook suggested not using Spelljammer with Dark Sun. From what I recall, that product suggested that no spacefarers knew the location of Athas's crystal sphere and that no sorcerer king knew what a spelljamming helm was.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Paladyn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Big Mac wrote:I don't recall the product that mentioned Athas was in a sealed crystal sphere. I know that CGR1 The Complete Spacefarer's Handbook suggested not using Spelljammer with Dark Sun. From what I recall, that product suggested that no spacefarers knew the location of Athas's crystal sphere and that no sorcerer king knew what a spelljamming helm was.

First of all, sorry if I resurrect this topic against your wishes. :)
I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere (most probably id SJ product), that Dark Sun's sphere is sealed. I'm really, really sure, but begin to doubt in my sanity, as I can find nothing about it in my SJ books :) But I could have my ex-co-worker's hand chopped off for it :)
I seem to remember a page or two that describe various settings in connection to SJ (most interesting to me were RL and DS). But there is possibility I dreamed it.
Paladyn
Gnoll

Postby Lord Torath » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm

I believe I read the same thing about sealing the sphere. I think it was in a Dark Sun timeline somewhere. Although why they'd want to seal the sphere... I'm sure you could invent some reasons, but the real reason is "Extensive Spelljamming will break Dark Sun."
Lord Torath
Ogre

Previous

Return to Dark Sun