How is Dark Sun doing?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

How is Dark Sun doing?

Postby Havard » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:05 pm

Was 4E DS a success? How is this new product line effecting the fan base?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: How is Dark Sun doing?

Postby dulsi » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:14 pm

I don't think they printed enough of the DS Campaign Setting book. I've seen the monster book everywhere but not the campaign setting. Granted I'm looking for a relatively cheep copy as I don't really plan on running a DS game so it isn't very important to me.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage
dulsi
Storm Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:51 am

It can't even be bought from amazon.com at below retail price anymore. I'm sorry I didn't pre-order it when I had the chance.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:00 am

I actually have the 4E books, but I was disappointed with them. Granted, I dont play 4E much, so that may affect my judgement. I like the setting, but I wish I could get the 2E stuff at affordable prices... :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby True_Atlantean » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Havard wrote:I actually have the 4E books, but I was disappointed with them. Granted, I dont play 4E much, so that may affect my judgement. I like the setting, but I wish I could get the 2E stuff at affordable prices... :)

-Havard

Given that these were going to be the first 4e books I was going to buy, I'm keen to know what you found disappointing. I have a lot of the 2e books, so I was interested to see what the folks at WotC had done to the setting. Given what happened to FR, I was a little concerned (I'll be sticking with my 2e Forgotten Realms post-Avatar trilogy, thank you :D ).
Can you give me a run-down, as I have a FLGS nearby with the campaign setting at a semi-reasonable price.
The Mirage Arcana Podcast Archive has moved. Visit us here.
Keep up-to-date with RPG news at my Scoop.It page.
Kippers and Jam, a blog about roleplaying.
True_Atlantean
Hill Giant

Postby Havard » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Okay, I think the adaptation to 4E is good. The changes made are much more subtle than with the realms and things like turning Half-Giants into Goliaths actually seems like a good idea to me.

What I dislike in general about 4E books, is that while they look good are low on contents and have a high crunch to fluff ratio. In the end this makes the books ininspiring to read, even if they probably could be used with great success for games. This last part was a general comment, but it also applies to the DS books.

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby agathokles » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:11 pm

I'd only buy the 4e books if I was going to run a 4e campaign -- the 2e source material is much more extensive.

G.
agathokles
Red Dragon

Postby Paladyn » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:01 am

Hi guys!
I bought all 4E DS books and follow closely Insider content. I must say I'm very pleased with treatment Athas got with fourth edition. As you said previously, changes were delicately woven into setting with respect for it and it's tradition. Contrary to what happened to Forgotten Realms, changes were putting world in right direction and I think there were almost enough information about world. The part that lacks is history (I'm saying it after reading official forums, where questions "Who was Rajaat" and alike arise frequently).

The most important thing that says in favour of new editions is that: I was never able to run AD&D 2E campaign. It grind to a halt with rules issues or lack of ideas from my side. This time, as I reported, I manged to begin, run and finish short, but still fine campaign. that's the power of new DS :)
Paladyn
Gnoll

Postby Jorkens » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:03 am

Havard wrote:I actually have the 4E books, but I was disappointed with them. Granted, I dont play 4E much, so that may affect my judgement. I like the setting, but I wish I could get the 2E stuff at affordable prices... :)

-Havard

If you are looking, I saw a FINN add (still looking for missing Drakar och Demoner books) with a whole heap of Dark Sun and Planescape books recently; it seems its still there. Although the seller hasn't put a price on them, they might be interesting. I considered them myself as I know the usual prices, but it would just be hoarding of products I will never use.
Jorkens
Stone Giant

Postby Silverblade-T-E » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:13 am

They left out the history of Athas deliberately because many folk *HATE* the official, TSR-forced, novellization-led, money-grubbing kak-handed mess! :P
Jeesh, love Dark Sun *hate* the official history to bits, it's a setting best left to each DM/player group to decide the history, IF any history at all as mysterious is much better, Athasians are about surviving TODAY, not past history
and mystery = fear which makes the game more spicy, as it should be.

4th ed rules/ideas work a heck of a lot better for Athas, like the "themes", so a Dune Trader is no longer a semi-NPC class, but an add on to your character if you chose it :)

I agree all 4th ed books are way too light on fluff, partof why it hasn't had the support it should have had, as how you "couch" things is massivley important, the lore of the Realms, Ravenloft, Spelljammer etc all make them so sweet n' juicy and so memorable, same with many iconic D&D critters like the Illithid vs githynaki/githzerai wars etc
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D
Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:40 am

Anyone know how Dark Sun is faring with the DDI?
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:39 am

I got the CS book after looking for a long while, and at a discounted price. It's a nice book overall, but it cuts out many good ideas in the original boxed set. I love the original version, and this one would be excellent if it weren't for the darned "explosion" of combat crunch in the book. The Themes are very good, but for many of them the rules don't match the roleplaying aspects, and are only excuses for more combat stuff, which is a pity.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Paladyn » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:45 am

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Anyone know how Dark Sun is faring with the DDI?

You get one article per month in Dungeon, covering wide range of topics: from lost cities (Kaldisnay i Eldaaritch), through monsters (ravenous, silt horros) to more out of ordinary things like artifacts, organisations or familiars. There were also articles in Dragon covering new powers, modifications etc. but haven't seen them lately. Also there were at least three adventures published and some articles about running game. All in all, Dark Sun gets as much support as other campaign worlds, which is good.
Paladyn
Gnoll

Postby Big Mac » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:22 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:It can't even be bought from amazon.com at below retail price anymore. I'm sorry I didn't pre-order it when I had the chance.

Ashtagon hasn't built a page for this in her price checking gizmo yet, but I did a manual check and this is currently $19.88 + shipping in the US. I'm not sure what the retail price was, but that seems like it is under retail to me.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Dark Sun