Dark Sun original boxed set is mine.

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Re: Dark Sun original boxed set is mine.

Postby Paladyn » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:25 pm

First of all, excause me if I resurrect this tread against your will, but I feel urge to talk about Athas :). Recently I came back to setting and renewed my fascination with it.

Revised boxed set indeed deals with Athas in a wake of Prism Pentad series. Four kings are dead, Tithian imprisoned in cerruelian storm and great earthquake have ravaged world. The Dragon is dead too. What I like best is expanding of world. This is funny thing for me, because I never used those realms and information, but I like to know, what lies beyond Tyr region, just in case :)

In that way Revised Edition is very usefull: I can select elements I want to incorprate in my campaign, reject others and re-work thirds. What is most funny thing, I run my capaigns or adventures long BEFORE Prism Pentad series and original setting. In my last game king Kalak barely began to construct his ziggurat. But still, those information are useful (When I ran Fury of the Wastewalker Encouters, my party escaped to the forest and beyond. With information from Revised Box I was able to tell them canonicaly, what had laid ahead of them).

There is a problem with Athas and every world that is built upon a mystery. Every fan wants to know more and discover secrets and while he does so, an aura of mystery disappears. It is inevitable... :)
Paladyn
Gnoll

Postby Big Mac » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:57 am

<-- Joins Palladine in Michael Jackson's necromantic Thriller dance. ;)

Palladine wrote:Revised boxed set indeed deals with Athas in a wake of Prism Pentad series. Four kings are dead, Tithian imprisoned in cerruelian storm and great earthquake have ravaged world. The Dragon is dead too. What I like best is expanding of world. This is funny thing for me, because I never used those realms and information, but I like to know, what lies beyond Tyr region, just in case :)

In that way Revised Edition is very usefull: I can select elements I want to incorprate in my campaign, reject others and re-work thirds. What is most funny thing, I run my capaigns or adventures long BEFORE Prism Pentad series and original setting. In my last game king Kalak barely began to construct his ziggurat. But still, those information are useful (When I ran Fury of the Wastewalker Encouters, my party escaped to the forest and beyond. With information from Revised Box I was able to tell them canonicaly, what had laid ahead of them).

That sounds like something that would make it worth buying both boxed sets.

How easy is it to work out what needs to be reverted? Would you need to compare both boxed sets and take lots of notes, or could you work with just the new boxed set and work things out from something like a timeline?

Are we talking of a small number of things that need to be wound back (10 or so) or a much larger number of them?

Palladine wrote:There is a problem with Athas and every world that is built upon a mystery. Every fan wants to know more and discover secrets and while he does so, an aura of mystery disappears. It is inevitable... :)

Yep. The mystery goes and people also start to gripe that the setting takes longer to get into.

But complain too much and someone will drop a Spellplague on your favourite setting. :shock: ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:17 am

Big Mac wrote:But complain too much and someone will drop a Spellplague on your favourite setting. :shock: ;)

The Spellplague is going to die brutally on Athas, killed by the sun or some desert freak :lol:
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:36 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:But complain too much and someone will drop a Spellplague on your favourite setting. :shock: ;)

The Spellplague is going to die brutally on Athas, killed by the sun or some desert freak :lol:

Would the Spellplague make life on Athas worse?

How could it possibly get worse? :lol:

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby night_druid » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Havard wrote:How could it possibly get worse? :lol:

They'll kill off the dragon, the sorcerer-kings, and create a magical storm that sends out waves of rainstorms that make the deserts bloom and begin the process of returning Athas to a wetter planet.

Oh wait... ^_^
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Previous

Return to Dark Sun