Moons & Moon Gates

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Moons & Moon Gates

Postby Carthaginian » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:19 am

Is there any real mention of the Moons of Athas in any of the 2nd Ed Dark Sun setting material?

I'm considering having some of the campaign I'm planning take place on one or both of the moons, and would like as much information on them as possible- or to be sure of a lack thereof so it's not contradicted- before I get to that point. Anything would be more useful than the 4-5 word descriptions that are in the 4e DSCG.

SPOILER:I'm planning on having refugees from the 'Cleansed Races' inhabiting the Moons. These people will inform the heroes of the true nature of Athas, it's past, and what the Dragon really is... and the PC's complete inability to return Athas to the paradise it once was.
Carthaginian
Goblin

Re: Moons & Moon Gates

Postby Big Mac » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:08 pm

Carthaginian wrote:Is there any real mention of the Moons of Athas in any of the 2nd Ed Dark Sun setting material?

I'm considering having some of the campaign I'm planning take place on one or both of the moons, and would like as much information on them as possible- or to be sure of a lack thereof so it's not contradicted- before I get to that point. Anything would be more useful than the 4-5 word descriptions that are in the 4e DSCG.

SPOILER:I'm planning on having refugees from the 'Cleansed Races' inhabiting the Moons. These people will inform the heroes of the true nature of Athas, it's past, and what the Dragon really is... and the PC's complete inability to return Athas to the paradise it once was.

Hi Carthginian,

I just noticed this post. Welcome to The Piazza.

You may want to look at The Crimson Sphere, on Beyond the Moons. That was written by Night Druid, so I presume he has an idea of where to find information on Ral and Guthay.

I'll see if I can cast a Summon Night Druid spell (although last time I did this, I had a 3 foot circle of dead plants in my garden :P ).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby night_druid » Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:21 pm

As far as I know, there isn't really a lot of official material regarding the two moons. There has been speculation in the past that the larger of the two moons is actually a very large planet, and that Athas orbits it, instead of the other way around. I don't think this is the case, as the people on Athas would notice such a thing (being an extremely primitive culture, their astronomy should be top notch, as it would be absolutely critical to knowing when the rainy season starts to plant crops and such). I say go with whatever strikes your fancy.

Just remember, however, that Darksun is loosely based on Barsoom, so I would draw inspiration from that. Maybe one moon is sorta Jules Vern "Venus"-like, maybe with areas of lush jungles, dinosaurs, and amazons. I imagined one moon to be much like Athas, but even more barren, remote, and desolate (no cities, for example).
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Carthaginian » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:03 am

Wow... didn't know if I was gonna get an answer, so I haven't checked back in a long time.
Unfortunately the group fell apart due to work conflicts. :(

I haven't given up on the storyline, but am slowly working on it rather than trying to churn it out.
ATM, I have outlined most of the Heroic Tier and have written the dialogue on the first adventure. Basically, the Party will become involved in a conflict between two city states. During their activities in this little proxy war, they will be sucked into a conflict with the Templars of Draj. Fleeing these particularly frightening individuals will cause them to (John Carter style) dive into a mysterious cave, happening upon a carved ring inscribed with strange symbols and radiating a magical aura.
They will wind up marooned on one of the moons for some time. I've decided to make the entire moon of Ral populated by Revenants (Dragon #376), created due to the corruption caused by Rajaat in his quest to master defiling magic. This was the reason that Athas suffered no ill effects until the Cleansing Wars began- Rajaat was siphoning life energy off the moons to fuel his ambitions. Unfortunately, early on in the War the Moon Gates became unreliable and the Champions had to rely on 'local sources' for life energy.
Assisting the Revenants, the PC's will learn the true history of their planet.

I'm going to have the Imprisonment of Rajaat and the Rise of the Dragon cause further changes in the moons- not sure exactly what kind of changes happened, yet, but it will turn the moon into an undead sphere.

ATM, that's where we are.
Carthaginian
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:56 pm

Carthaginian wrote:Wow... didn't know if I was gonna get an answer, so I haven't checked back in a long time.

Sorry, I didn't check the thread in a long time either. :oops:

Carthaginian wrote:I haven't given up on the storyline, but am slowly working on it rather than trying to churn it out.
ATM, I have outlined most of the Heroic Tier and have written the dialogue on the first adventure. Basically, the Party will become involved in a conflict between two city states. During their activities in this little proxy war, they will be sucked into a conflict with the Templars of Draj. Fleeing these particularly frightening individuals will cause them to (John Carter style) dive into a mysterious cave, happening upon a carved ring inscribed with strange symbols and radiating a magical aura.
They will wind up marooned on one of the moons for some time. I've decided to make the entire moon of Ral populated by Revenants (Dragon #376), created due to the corruption caused by Rajaat in his quest to master defiling magic. This was the reason that Athas suffered no ill effects until the Cleansing Wars began- Rajaat was siphoning life energy off the moons to fuel his ambitions. Unfortunately, early on in the War the Moon Gates became unreliable and the Champions had to rely on 'local sources' for life energy.
Assisting the Revenants, the PC's will learn the true history of their planet.

I'm going to have the Imprisonment of Rajaat and the Rise of the Dragon cause further changes in the moons- not sure exactly what kind of changes happened, yet, but it will turn the moon into an undead sphere.

Sounds interesting, but if all of Ral is populated by revenants, will there be enough variety to keep things interesting if the PCs get stuck there for a while?

Are you going to try to do something like have a number of different revenant city-states that have all the sort of same political issues as the civilisations on Athas?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Dark Sun