Barsoom Influences?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Barsoom Influences?

Postby Dragonhelm » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:34 am

I just saw John Carter in the theater last week, and it got me thinking about Dark Sun. I know that the Barsoom novels have influenced Dark Sun, but I didn't know the full details.

So how does Barsoom influence Dark Sun? Are the books any good?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: Barsoom Influences?

Postby ripvanwormer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:47 am

1. The basic idea of a dying, desert planet with warring city-states and an ancient culture. Plus the thri-kreen culture seems very influenced by the green martians from the Barsoom books.
2. Not really. The ideas are very influential, and they read fast enough, but don't go into them looking for deep character development.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:So how does Barsoom influence Dark Sun? Are the books any good?

If you do want to look for more Barsoom material, you might want to investigate the Sundered Reaches campaign setting, which is also influenced by Barsoom.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Silverblade-T-E » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:22 am

oh I love 'em but then, I love pulp fun ;) yeah no "depth" but for just a fun read they're good
but of course they also have attitudes etc of the writer's time which can be jarring today
just like while I love some of John Norman's books, his BDSM stuff etc is not my cup of tea :P
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D
Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Postby Mjollnir » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:17 am

I've only read up through the Chessmen of Mars, but I like them. They are about action and exploring an alien world, not about exploring a character's conflicted motivations and personality. On the downside, they all tell basically the same story, which is a bit repetitive.

They appeal to the inner boy who would rather have great adventures, exploring the unknown, battling the bad guy, and saving the beautiful princess than be forced to live a boring existance of domestication and the mundane.
Mjollnir
Kobold

Postby Yaztromo » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Oh, my!!! I am writing a Barsoom Gazzetteer with a Calidar conversion / adaptation final chapter (for AFF2 ruleset) and I came browsing Dark Sun section of the Piazza because I had the feeling that there may be some good stuff / adventures to cross reference...

BTW on Barsoom psionics is a very important presence...
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Postby Big Mac » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:11 pm

Mjollnir wrote:I've only read up through the Chessmen of Mars, but I like them. They are about action and exploring an alien world, not about exploring a character's conflicted motivations and personality. On the downside, they all tell basically the same story, which is a bit repetitive.

They appeal to the inner boy who would rather have great adventures, exploring the unknown, battling the bad guy, and saving the beautiful princess than be forced to live a boring existance of domestication and the mundane.

Welcome to The Piazza, Mjollnir. Have you considered saying hi to people in the "Introduce yourself here" thread?

Did you know that you can use the Piazza search system to search for topics about Barsoom?

Yaztromo wrote:Oh, my!!! I am writing a Barsoom Gazzetteer with a Calidar conversion / adaptation final chapter (for AFF2 ruleset) and I came browsing Dark Sun section of the Piazza because I had the feeling that there may be some good stuff / adventures to cross reference...

That sounds interesting. So is your thing going to be a Barsoom/Calidar crossover?

If you like Barsom, perhaps you could eventually help build Barsoom enough content for a Barsoom forum at The Piazza. :cool:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Yaztromo » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:43 am

Well, if you have a look at some posts in Calidar section of the forum, I already used it in my campaign (now on permanent hyatus, as I had the opportunity to play only for some time around Christmas time) and I'm (slowly) writing Barsoom Gazetteer (to be played with the ruleset of Advanced Fighting Fantasy 2e) with a long chapter dedicated to converting Barsoom into Lao Kwei, that is a Mars-like planet of the World of Calidar.

Here are the links:
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=11712&start=25
viewtopic.php?f=91&t=12891
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Return to Dark Sun