2nd Ed Ranger spell selection...

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

2nd Ed Ranger spell selection...

Postby Lord Torath » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:44 am

Which spells do high-level rangers have access to? The rule book says they must pick an elemental sphere, and use the two (for Air) to ten (for Fire) spells of 3rd level or below from that list. Dune Trader, however, has a ranger with access to the normal ranger spheres (Plant, Animal, etc). Did they decide that 2 spells for three spell levels was too few, and restore the normal selection (yes, there are two spells in the air sphere between 1st and 3rd level: Dust Devil [level 2] and Call Lightning [level 3] - no 1st level spells at all). Air Clerics also have minor access to the sphere of the Cosmos, so can make up for the low selection at low levels, but rangers don't get that.

Did they just mess up in Dune Trader?
Lord Torath
Ogre

Re: 2nd Ed Ranger spell selection...

Postby agathokles » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:08 pm

I think it's more likely that Pryor and Breault (neither of whom was involved in the core box) didn't notice the restriction. Otherwise, they would have put some note to explain the change.

Anyway, a later DS book, "Earth, Air, Fire and Water" provides more spells for the elemental spheres, thus slightly expanding the Ranger list (Curse of Tongues, in particular, is a 1st level Elemental Air spell, Channel Stench, Slave Scent, Steal Breath, Whispers, and Coat of Mist are level 2, and Conjure Lesser Elemental, and Create Smoke are level 3). So, actually Rangers of the Air element do have a reasonable selection at all levels except 1 (Curse of Tongues is useful, but not something you'd want to memorize multiple times in a day). You could use other sources to add more spells to level 1, e.g. PO:S&M has the Wind Column spell.
The best solution would be to get the Priest's Spell Compendium, since that resource should have all the published priest spells.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Re: 2nd Ed Ranger spell selection...

Postby Lord Torath » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:29 pm

Gah! I should have known that! I have both Dragon Kings and Earth, Air, Fire, and Water which both add additional spells. I should have checked EAF&W's spherel list, rather than the one in the boxed set Rulebook.

Thanks, Agathokles!
Lord Torath
Ogre

Return to Dark Sun