Wizard using a spear. What penalty?

Athas and the sorcerer-kings.
The Book-House: Find Dark Sun products.

Moderator: Idabrius

Wizard using a spear. What penalty?

Postby Lord Torath » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:47 pm

As part of her disguise (No, I'm not a wizard! Nasty things, wizards! I wouldn't be caught dead near one!), there's a Preserver in my campaign that is wielding a spear. She's proficient in quarterstaff, so the question is, if she wields the spear as she would a quarterstaff, what penalties (if any) should she suffer?

A spear is really just a quarterstaff with a 6-8" blade on the end, so the only real difference I can see is that you can throw a spear, or set a it against a charge. If you disallow those actions, is there anything else that should be done?
Lord Torath
Ogre

Re: Wizard using a spear. What penalty?

Postby Jaid » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:47 am

it's dark sun. a completely wooden (ie fire-hardened) spear is a completely plausible thing to see. i'd say just let them treat it as a quarterstaff, it's not like there's a significant balance issue there.
Jaid
Fire Giant

Re: Wizard using a spear. What penalty?

Postby agathokles » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:54 pm

I'd let her use it as a quarterstaff with no penalties. I'd only impose a penalty if she used the spear as a spear (i.e., as a piercing and throwing weapon). However, people might notice the unusual style, and start having some doubts.

GP
agathokles
Red Dragon

Return to Dark Sun